UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

A lot of empty seats this year!!!!!

That was coming off a 19 win season.

WE avg 2900 in a 24 win season, we avg 2650 in a 7 win season, I don't think it just has to do with winning!!!!

It is shameful if winning 17 more game equates to 250 more fans!!!

Athletics admin is a joke.. and it's sad to say as a supporter of athletics. The fact that the alumni association has to buy shirts, plan events, etc for students to get them to games is not normal.. it's not their job. It's great that they do it but what if the alumni association wasn't full of athletic supporters. Anyone who has ever worked with athletics or knows people who have can tell you how horrible they are are to work with. They can't even provide pizza to students when they advertise it or bring their own tables to their own events.

Pres. Jones says there will be a study done on how to get more involvement with students, staff etc to athletic events. I hope for real change that that study really looks at the athletic admin staff and their production or lack there of. If our own Assoc AD of EA doesn't care if there are enough shirts to give fans, doesn't advertise that there is a football sideline upgrade every football game or that he/his staff didn't pull through on his side of an event than we're never going to fix anything, or even more recently that staff just 'make their own decision' to want to stay for the 2nd NCAA game w/o getting approval. It's just on and on how much of a mess they are...

I think there is a clear lack of effectiveness of many people in their jobs including managing staff.

I must say though that I do think Brian Rudolph has been great and hope he doesn't get jaded with the lack of enthusiasm around him.

It's a truthful post of what many season ticket holders say to each other, and I don't know if anyone has had the cojones to write a letter or speak to people who have the power to do something. ( I haven't yet, but with a new Pres who really does seem to care, I might...)

Edited by MsGDG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WE avg 2900 in a 24 win season, we avg 2650 in a 7 win season, I don't think it just has to do with winning!!!!

Athletics admin is a joke.. and it's sad to say as a supporter of athletics. The fact that the alumni association has to buy shirts, plan events, etc for students to get them to games is not normal.. it's not their job. It's great that they do it but what if the alumni association wasn't full of athletic supporters. Anyone who has ever worked with athletics or knows people who have can tell you how horrible they are are to work with. They can't even provide pizza to students when they advertise it or bring their own tables to their own events.

Pres. Jones says there will be a study done on how to get more involvement with students, staff etc to athletic events. I hope for real change that that study really looks at the athletic admin staff and their production or lack there of. If our own Assoc AD of EA doesn't care if there are enough shirts to give fans, doesn't advertise that there is a football sideline upgrade every football game or that he/his staff didn't pull through on his side of an event than we're never going to fix anything, or even more recently that staff just 'make their own decision' to want to stay for the 2nd NCAA game w/o getting approval. It's just on and on how much of a mess they are...

I think there is a clear lack of effectiveness of many people in their jobs including managing staff.

I must say though that I do think Brian Rudolph has been great and hope he doesn't get jaded with the lack of enthusiasm around him.

It's a truthful post of what many season ticket holders say to each other, and I don't know if anyone has had the cojones to write a letter or speak to people who have the power to do something. ( I haven't yet, but with a new Pres who really does seem to care, I might...)

Great post. I've had many discussions with that particular group about the DaneZone and how I think they would have a lot more subscribers if the quality was better. I was told it would get better. It has improved a little bit and this year the addition of radio feed has been solid but the overall quality of the stream is not even close to most other schools I've watched.

Yes it's not all about winning, but it surely makes a big difference. I wouldn't exactly call that 19 win season a great season where the casual fan will want to show up the next year. The Athletic departments marketing dept surely needs a makeover and needs to do something to shake things up.

This year we were 16-4 going into the BU game at home and we drew almost 3700. That was a mid week game I think. Attendance was definitely up due to that record because when was the last time we drew that many on a weeknight. I'm sure a few casual fans showed up to that game. Then that Saturday we had Vermont and that game had almost 4200. We laid an egg in both games and it definitely hurt attendance the rest of the season in my opinion. I know it was only 2 games, but with the 16-4 record I think we had more people show up because of it. We shall certainly see how the attendance is after a championship season.

I also think its the fact we play in the same town as Siena. If we were the only show in town like Binghamton or Vermont we'd dominate attendance. Maybe a few more losing seasons from them and another championship from us will take away those casual fans they have.

Edited by UA'08

UA_MA_2000 - recognizing problems is easy - how about coming up with a viable solution besides SEFCU and CB buying tickets!!!

IMO the administration has to do more then send out tweets and emails!

You are right, and I admit that I was part of the problem in recent years by not going to enough home games.

Hearing Trimboli talk about how crowd and fan support lured him to UVM made me realize how important it is for me to support the team and go to the games in person.

UA_MA_2000 - recognizing problems is easy - how about coming up with a viable solution besides SEFCU and CB buying tickets!!!

You are right, and I admit that I was part of the problem in recent years by not going to enough home games.

Hearing Trimboli talk about how crowd and fan support lured him to UVM made me realize how important it is for me to support the team and go to the games in person.

The attendance may have been skewed in Vermont's favor during Trimboli's time while we were in our infancy. The last two years I think we've had better attendance than Vermont and been at the top or near the top in attendance in the conference.

I'd like more fans there too but I don't think our numbers have been as bad as they're made out to be. At least by AE standards.

I have no data to support this but I have the impression that a large portion of the student body is distinctly anti jock. You can be a good student, even an intellectual, and love atheletic competition. High atheletic achievement is as exciting as high achievement in the arts and sciences. I majored in philosophy and I don't ever remember one of my professors saying anything about sports. Wouldn't it be nice to have some of the Universities acedemic leaders say and write a few encouraging words on the subject?

I have no data to support this but I have the impression that a large portion of the student body is distinctly anti jock. You can be a good student, even an intellectual, and love atheletic competition. High atheletic achievement is as exciting as high achievement in the arts and sciences. I majored in philosophy and I don't ever remember one of my professors saying anything about sports. Wouldn't it be nice to have some of the Universities acedemic leaders say and write a few encouraging words on the subject?

There are professors that are athletic fans,...they're just not UAlbany fans.

I bet you'd find some hard core Giants, Bills, Jets fans who have never been to a UAlbany footbal game. That might change with the stadium. It gives it legitimacy.

This is true for the capital district in general.

The attendance may have been skewed in Vermont's favor during Trimboli's time while we were in our infancy. The last two years I think we've had better attendance than Vermont and been at the top or near the top in attendance in the conference.

I'd like more fans there too but I don't think our numbers have been as bad as they're made out to be. At least by AE standards.

I agree with DP that our attendance has not been as bad as some say. Sure more would be great and I believe we our making good progress in that regards. I would also like to second MsGDG "I must say though that I do think Brian Rudolph has been great and hope he doesn't get jaded with the lack of enthusiasm around him." I would also like to add that I think Charlie Voelker is a very hard working asst. AD and I wonder if he is funded to an appropriate level { ie: what comes first a larger marketing budget or more attendance and increased funding--sort of a chicken/egg function}. Also just to throw it out there and not to kick a dead horse but--what do you think a $iena game @ SEFCU would due for our home avg. attendance.

Very interesting. Any idea what the CAA avgs are with all this talk about moving? Not including GMU and ODU?

Here's the 2012 numbers

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2012.pdf

CAA average 3557, just over double America East. But ODU and VCU were over 7,000 and GMU 5,000, while Delaware, Hofstra, W&M and Drexel were under 2,500 and Northeastern was 1300+

Did anyone catch CB on Wyland's show today? He was on at 9:45 with Onorato and Zach Bye talking about the NCAA and Rutgers, but was supposed to come back at 11:00, which I wasn't available for. One question they were going to ask was 'What would you rather do, win an NCAA tournament game, or beat Siena five times in a row?"

I agree with DP that our attendance has not been as bad as some say. Sure more would be great and I believe we our making good progress in that regards. I would also like to second MsGDG "I must say though that I do think Brian Rudolph has been great and hope he doesn't get jaded with the lack of enthusiasm around him." I would also like to add that I think Charlie Voelker is a very hard working asst. AD and I wonder if he is funded to an appropriate level { ie: what comes first a larger marketing budget or more attendance and increased funding--sort of a chicken/egg function}. Also just to throw it out there and not to kick a dead horse but--what do you think a $iena game @ SEFCU would due for our home avg. attendance.

If a person doesn't care to follow through in events or planning or responding to students who are interested in getting more kids to come to games than I don't think they're hard working, imho. Those things like responding to people or making sure there is follow through on things don't take $--- they take effort but not $.

Edited by MsGDG