UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Purple and Gold Game Impressions

What can I say...that was a lot of fun and a bit of an eye opening experience. First some general impressions of the team....

- Very big, athletic, talented and I thought TOUGH team... Bunch of men out there. They really I thought competed today and got after one another...Not sure what others saw but it was a being strange seeing the offense go down on the block so much. In years past we'd stand around on the perimeter and move the ball endlessly around until time ran out a lot of times and we just forced something up. This was something different...ball consistently went inside either off penetration or dump-down down low...and both bigs (Shengalia and Puk) knew what do to with it. Ball movement I thought was good defensive effort I thought was superb overall. Ball was pushed up the court which I like a lot of times and resulted in a number of transition points.This isn't a team that will play just one side of the ball...well balanced squad and my final overall impressions were...that someone isn't going to get the time they deserve. Brown has a lot of options going big or small...

Player impressions...

- Odunsi - Quite frankly I thought he was the best overall player on the court and if not the best then perhaps second best (Rowley being 1)...very athletic, great slasher and can get to the rim at will...clearly from looking at him I can see why he was recruited to a high major. Not only did he show good ability on the offensive end, on the defensive end he was a big time pest. With the exception of one or two times I thought he was under control with one notable Suero like driving moment. This guy IMO is the real deal.

- Sam Rowley - Even more rock solid then last year. Plays defense, finished around the rim, rebounds the rock...a better version of last years Rowley...not much needs to be said about him...a LOCK starter.

- Hooley - Showed good outside range. Was throwing down I thought stupid dunks in warmups, made smart decisions with the ball...played well but nothing overly spectacular. I tend to think he's one of our more talented guys so while he didn't disappoint he performed as well as expected I thought.

- Puk - This kid is a man now...he was blocking shots and finishing a few around the hoops...while pulling down boards. This kid steadily gets better every year...looks like he put on more muscle...really nice footwork out of him that I haven't seen in the past up and under a few times and finished with both hands. Looks like he's poised to go out with a bang this year...a few times made a poor decision and then didn't run back on defense...needs to compete ALL the time and get back.

- Mike Rowley - A bigger version of Sam...very skilled big, rebounds really well, finishes around the rim. Really like him but I'm not sure where they will find the time for him. This kids potential and ceiling is really really high...not to overhype him but down the road he will be one of the best bigs in this league...I really think that.

- Dallas - another really good freshmen, picture perfect shot...blocked a few shots...needs to get stronger but more then held his own out there being probably the youngest kid out there. Scored 10pts....potential is high with this one as well...

- DJ - really quick, scored 17pts...I'd probably start him at PG at this point...didn't make any mistakes with the ball that I can remember. Small...but speed kills so they say.

- Shenaglia - This kid is a man...lol...very physical, rebounds and takes up space...CAN finish around the rim but a few times way to wild with the forced shot. If he can play within the offense and know his limitations he can be a really good asset...Will spell Puk and probably start next year. Solid addition...

- Haas - Didn't see anything out of him and expected to see more...seems to be pretty quick, moves without the ball but a few of his shots were short possibly due to a two hour practice this morning. Made the correct pass on a number of occasions to wide open teammates...a pass first type of guy, needs to IMO not over-think and just make the easier pass, that's not to say he had any serious passing trouble but I thought maybe over-complicated a few scenarios.

- Ede - Started out slow but as the game wore on got better...elite defense and stole the ball I think 3 or 4 times...elite anticipating playing passing lanes. Very athletic and can really get up and down the court. No wonder Witchita St. recruited him...Will be in the playing rotation...works hard and athletically gifted.

- Johnson - Same as last year I thought...took a few shots out of his range as he's not a shooter but really hounds the ball and can fly in transition.

- Devlin - Looks healthier then last year...moved really well, much better then last year. Didn't shoot much but rebounded the rock and played solid interior defense. Will probably spell Sam at the four.

- Wiegmann and Reece - both played OK but nothing special...both will be end of bench guys, I don't mean to demean them in any way but there is just to much talent here.

Yeah I know this reads a bit like we are going to go undefeated but I honestly thought this is a well balanced, deep squad...there is a chance for something special with this group...can't wait to see how this year will unfold.

Will push 20 wins again...

I'd start DJ, Hooley, Odunsi, Sam and Puk...

Edited by Clickclack

A lot front court players this year, big and talented from what I saw at the scrimmage.

Despite all I've read about M. Rowley this year I thought Dallas E. played as well if not better in the scrimmage. Dallas had 10 points and a couple of blocks. Heady player if a little slight right now.

The new guys:

Really liked Odunsi. Got into the lane and took contact. Made plays for himself and others and really competed. Liked just about everything I saw from him. Another level as an athlete.

Shengalia. More agile than I thought. I expected more of a lumbering big man but he moved well and had some nice post moves. Shot selection leaves a bit to be desired.

Ede Egharevba. Like Odunsi, on another planet in terms of athleticism. Can shoot, can drive and had some nice steals (or we were sloppy with the ball?)

Haas. Made a few plays off the dribble but otherwise didn't stand out much. Not sure if he got any outside looks.

Returners:

Puk. CB has talked a lot about Rowley but I thought Puk looked great. Defensively and with some of the midrange stuff. Hopefully he keeps confidence in those shots because he can knock them. Looked like he tried to block everything tonight.

M. Rowley. Did a lot. Nothing forced just played his game. Looked quicker and much more confident. Unless I dreamt it he went coast to coast and layed the ball up in traffic.

Devlin. Quicker and more fluid than I've seem him. Made some nice post entry passes.

DJ Evans. Still a fan. Didn't realize he was the games leading scorer? Always seems under control. Had some steals, hit some outside shots. I liked the pairing of DJ and Odunsi in the purple team backcourt.

Hooley. What we've come to expect. I thought he might try and "take over" more this year but played his game. Scoring a little, dishing a little and making everyone on the court better.

Gary Johnson. Looked a little lost in the first half but settled down. I'd like to see him shoot from outside with a little more consistency to open up lanes for him to drive.

Weigmann. Bigger and more aggressive than last year. I thought he tried to force some stuff tonight. It looked like there is a lot of competition for minutes and he was trying to move up. He is a skilled player and better than he was last year, I'm just afraid everyone else is better also.

We will be bigger and more athletic this year by far. TBD if that translates into better basketball but I hope so.

My starters:

DJ Evans

Odunsi

Hooley

M. Rowley

Puk

I'd like Odunsi and GJ out there at the same time but I'm not sure if there's enough shooting. Evans, Odunsi and Hooley can all make plays for other people.

Minutes off the bench:

Good luck. There's a huge group that played well but I'm not sure how you decide who to give minutes to.

Awesome summary Click, thank you for posting.

With injuries and intense conference play, everyone will play so the more depth the better. Any given night could produce a hot shooter or mismatch, so I hope Coach gets them all in there!

And I'm looking forward to our big men brawling with Vermont this year. Wonder if either team will get to 50 points. :)

My 2¢ on scrimmage. If the season started tomorrow, DJ should be our starting point guard, based on what he did last night. I thought Odunsi played out of control too often, but you can tell he is a player, and if he gets the fouls in the lane called his way, he could put up Suero (spelling?) type free throw numbers. I disagree with others on Andre Haas--I came away impressed. When his outside shot was not falling (missed two wide open and forced another) he adjusted his game and drove the lane 3 or 4 times finishing at least twice and making a nice pass a third time. Some how, coach needs to find more minutes for Devlin. Puk can have a beast of a year, if he relaxes and let's the game come too him and not try to do TOO much. Sometimes he seems to be trying too hard, like trying to block every single shot--but just may be a more aggressive Puk will work for him? Dallas can help this team and I think he is too refined to red shirt him; but finding playing time might be hard. Most pleasant surprise--Ede (I am not even going to try to spell his last name). I thought he was the BEST of the new kids.

Edited by dslyank

Extremely athletic group. I really liked Dallas. I'm really curious why everyone is suggesting we start three smalls and two bigs instead of three bigs and two smalls since we have more bigs and most of the bigs can shoot from outside. Really liked the defensive aggressiveness of the new players.