UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, there are many college fields with three tiers. Two that immediately come to are Penn State and Florida.

About the expansion itself, I believe it can be either a double horseshoe like BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, or it can be four sides in square.

Also, not sure if you've been to the new stadium but I believe they can put two variances of another tier on the homeside they way it stands now: VIP BOXES/LOUNGE w/ a few rows in front for club seats (the roof extends out and I believe is a support floor for the tower that is expected to rise. Or, they can do both (tower with a new grandstand) by going a couple of feet back onto the grass area with support beams.

I guess we will find out.

My understanding is that the top of the current press box is intended to hold another level of luxury suites and club seating. I believe the overhang on the roof now is structural.

Plus I assume the away side will have less amenities (no need for more press or luxury suites if you put more on the home side) and more seating then the home side because of it.

My assumption as well. I don't see it done any other way. But, how will the end zone seating be dealt with....

I favor double decks on both ends. I have no problem saying goodbye to the berm.

We need to ride the momentum that has been built. Keep the construction coming.

Here's one of the early conceptions, but the home side upper deck doesn't look as big as this drawing

b_125424.jpg

This scheme represented a seating capacity of about 24k so considerable construction would be required.

Wondering if the design will just be a much bigger east side to compensate.

Here's one of the early conceptions, but the home side upper deck doesn't look as big as this drawing

b_125424.jpg

This scheme represented a seating capacity of about 24k so considerable construction would be required.

I suspect I know the answer to this but any chance the new scheme can be shared or be made public?

Yeah- I'm not seeing how it took $18 mil for about 8,500 seats (a good number of which are lawn space), and only another $20 mil would buy us an additional 15,500?

From what I was told, the extra cost was associated with laying the groundwork for the later expansion.

I would imagine clearing the land, putting in the proper plumbing, electrical, etc, is a huge chunk of that budget.

i.e. when you watch any construction project, it looks like an empty lot for the first bunch of months and then suddenly the thing reaches skyward at a fast past.

I would imagine clearing the land, putting in the proper plumbing, electrical, etc, is a huge chunk of that budget.

i.e. when you watch any construction project, it looks like an empty lot for the first bunch of months and then suddenly the thing reaches skyward at a fast past.

And don't forget all the extra soil compaction and drainage work they needed to do.

Yes, and 24K is the size referred to in Sunday's story, so this scheme is an approximation of what's required for a stadium that size, with or without the building in the end zone. Of course other configurations are possible. Speculation is all we've got until something official is announced.

b_125424.jpg

Confused what the statement means.

I thought the scheme that is being floated now is similarly 24k, with the lockeroom facility. Aside from the clear difference in steel vs. concrete costs...are you referring to the large concrete structures here as considerable construction.

Not sure if you could/would be clearer (for those of us who understand construction). ;)

Good points. But if the original goal was $50-60 million for a 25k seat stadium, I wonder what'll be compromised on for a $38 million, 24k-seater. Granted, I'd take it either way!

Few things: 1) Permitting (which I am dealing with for the LIRR-Metro North right now) is a disaster in the State. As Danefan stated though, a ton of the environmental work has been completed. 2) Cost of concrete (pre-cast vs. poured) and steel vs. pre-built seats like we saw for the new stadium.

Put it this way-- I think UCF built a 45k seat stadium for 60mm. Much cheaper to construct in FL. Simple. So I think it will come down to more erector set than those big concrete structures in the picture of the old concept. Much like UCF, FIU, FAU. You can construct concrete around it in later years, if need be. Click on the photo.

http://wlrn.org/post/escape-owl-catraz-prison-firm-pulls-out-fau-stadium-deal

b_125424.jpg

I'm confused as well. Could you elaborate just a bit more? Is a 24,000 stadium not possible for an extra $20M or are you saying it is but just not like the original sketch supplied?