UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty unfair comparison. Compare our attendance in university field as part of the NEC to Nova. Sure. Make your point any way you want.

"The Villanova Wildcats averaged 7,144 fans in 2012, according to NCAA reports, in a season where the 'Cats won a piece of the CAA's asterisked-title and went to the playoffs. The Great Danes averaged 3,140 fewer fans that season, and now are planning to expand their stadium to 24,000 seats, two-times the CAA's average."

That's a pretty unfair comparison. Compare our attendance in university field as part of the NEC to Nova. Sure. Make your point any way you want.

"The Villanova Wildcats averaged 7,144 fans in 2012, according to NCAA reports, in a season where the 'Cats won a piece of the CAA's asterisked-title and went to the playoffs. The Great Danes averaged 3,140 fewer fans that season, and now are planning to expand their stadium to 24,000 seats, two-times the CAA's average."

Context is journalism is no longer a requirement.

So is saying 'Nova's football team "plays in the same league as Albany (and has had considerably more success)" - you mean, more success than Albany had in its single season?

Context is journalism is no longer a requirement.

Nice to see UB fans gnashing their teeth at this maybe happening...as big a long-shot as it is. We should be done apologizing to them or anyone else for asking or getting anything. SBU and UB continue to get significantly more state financial support for various causes...time to ask and get ours if we can.

Haters gonna HATE! The new refrain is...what about the poor taxpayer?

Edited by Clickclack

Huh?

UB board...our good pal clodny

"Thought folks might like to hear about what they're planning in Albany. UA wants to expand their stadium up to 24,000. Apparently, their $18M brand new stadium isn't enough for them after its very first season and they want to more than double the bill to taxpayers to $38M and increase capacity by over 280%. They feel that since they were able to average a whopping 6,800 fans in this brand new stadium that holds 8,500 people, they should now move up to 24,000. I mean, 80% capacity in your first season after you've been waiting for this stadium for decades is extremely impressive and it really does make sense for a school who was playing in the worst conference in all of D1 college football exactly one year ago to now have one of the best FCS stadiums in the entire nation. The rule here is clearly, "if you build it, they will come". So I'm proposing to Albany, why stop at 24,000? Make it 120,000 - The biggest in all of college football! They will be sure to win national championships in second tier football with a stadium like that! The best recruits will flock to Albany, NY - a city synonymous with great football in a state that is notorious for producing excellent High School football players. Just take it from us here in Buffalo, we know! Albany can claim recruiting rights over all of the Capital District HS football hotbeds. No more losing kids from Burnt Hills/Ballston Lake HS to Central Connecticut State University - those days are over! Albany is definitely on its way and I say "THINK BOLD, BOYS!" If history has taught me anything it's that New York State loves UAlbany and I'm sure they'll be willing to fund your endeavors to become the next Alabama!! (of fcs...)"

Edited by Clickclack

Here's one of the early conceptions, but the home side upper deck doesn't look as big as this drawing

b_125424.jpg

This scheme represented a seating capacity of about 24k so considerable construction would be required.

Confused what the statement means.

I thought the scheme that is being floated now is similarly 24k, with the lockeroom facility. Aside from the clear difference in steel vs. concrete costs...are you referring to the large concrete structures here as considerable construction.

Not sure if you could/would be clearer (for those of us who understand construction). ;)

Few things: 1) Permitting (which I am dealing with for the LIRR-Metro North right now) is a disaster in the State. As Danefan stated though, a ton of the environmental work has been completed. 2) Cost of concrete (pre-cast vs. poured) and steel vs. pre-built seats like we saw for the new stadium.

Put it this way-- I think UCF built a 45k seat stadium for 60mm. Much cheaper to construct in FL. Simple. So I think it will come down to more erector set than those big concrete structures in the picture of the old concept. Much like UCF, FIU, FAU. You can construct concrete around it in later years, if need be. Click on the photo.

So, from your experience, what price tag would you put on a "more rector set" version of the depiction above?

I like the idea that Villanova is worried about keeping up with us.

Totally agree. When i was in school, no one at Villanova had ever heard of U Albany. Now they're jealous of us? Great. Build it!

Recalling that "Project 2010" was announced in 2005 for Phase 1 (Lacrosse/field hockey) with Phase 2 (10-15K football stadium) anticipated to follow soon after, I'd hate to think I'm being optimistic to hope this is done within seven years.

Phase I was the RACC renovation and the lax/field hockey/recreation fields to be constructed this summer. Phase II is a 10-15K synthetic turf FB stadium including new offices, student service areas, meeting rooms, locker rooms, weight rooms, and a pavilion for concessions 'for the football stadium and the RACC'. Expandable to 25K with corporate boxes and video scoreboard. Designed for concerts, HS FB championships, soccer & lax tournaments.

Other phases - multipurpose Student Recreational facility, indoor and outdoor track venues, baseball stadium, practice fields.

"THERE IS NOT A SPECIFIC TIMETABLE FOR COMPLETION OF THE ENTIRE MASTER PLAN BUT DR. MCELROY ANTICIPATES PHASE II WILL BEGIN SHORTLY AFTER THE COMPLETION OF PHASE I."