UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not gonna lie folks, if they did get capital investment money, I want it to go to three things:

1) Locker Room facility for the football program (be it behind the scoreboard or where the bubble stands)

2) Upgrades to SEFCU Arena Scoreboard System (I want a system that tells you players #'s, pts, fouls etc)

3) Upgrades to Baseball Stadium (get lights and some sort of seating implemented (will help with recruiting I feel and hosting AE Tournament and other local games)

anything left over, then use it on the football stadium. I think that should go to more permanent seating on visiting side. Not sure how much $ that would mean etc...

However, one thing people need to realize that when you are upgrading stadiums, it's not to upgrade a visitor and home side. It's to upgrade to fill the stadium with fans (hopefully mostly UA fans). University of Tennessee didn't upgrade their stadium ON ALL SIDES to make it easier for Alabama fans to get in the stadium. They did it to just get fans in the stadium. I think we gotta start looking at upgrading to get fans in, be it home or away.

Side Note: I know there is snow all over, but have the Track Project been put on hold and/or how is it going?

I think people are missing two MAJOR points.

1) FCS and FBS football are in line for a massive change. There is likely going to be a seismic shift that will see a bunch of low-mid FBS leagues combining with high FCS leagues. However, this will include a stadium comparison issue-- URI won't be able to make that jump. Albany WANTS to make that jump to stay with the UD's, Towson's, Montana's of the world that will likely combine with the Buffalo's.

We won't be able to move without a stadium increase.

2) More seats= more revenue. It's concession revenue, advertising revenue, luxury box static revenue, usage revenue (concerts and other events), etc. Irrespective of filling it with home or away fans, a sold out stadium at 18,000 seats (using that as a minimum number) over 6 games brings in REVENUE of almost 4 million dollars. That's with a small average of 10 dollars per person in concessions.

Add in sky box sales, donations that come with being "big time", add in the advertising dollars, and the concerts, etc...and a stadium of that size has the potential to hit $5 million per year at a minimum...potentially nearing 8 million. That's against MARGINAL increases in current costs to operate, which is a tax write off for the school.

Let's call it a cool $5 million in realized revenue. Those dollars, if appropriately utilized, will either pay for the football program itself, which frees up millions to utilize for sports like hoops and baseball, or it gets invested in the form of endowing scholarships, which REALLY frees up funding on two fronts-- it's hard cold cash and it's an accounting balance on the "cost" of a scholarship, which is no true cost at all...it's a seat that would already be filled.

So, while I don't disagree with the things you want done--I do agree they are priorities--I think our hand is being forced to some extent.

Dr. McElroy has done a fine job steering all of our programs. I trust him. I couldn't say that years ago...but I am now.

1) FCS and FBS football are in line for a massive change. There is likely going to be a seismic shift that will see a bunch of low-mid FBS leagues combining with high FCS leagues. However, this will include a stadium comparison issue-- URI won't be able to make that jump. Albany WANTS to make that jump to stay with the UD's, Towson's, Montana's of the world that will likely combine with the Buffalo's.

2) More seats= more revenue. It's concession revenue, advertising revenue, luxury box static revenue, usage revenue (concerts and other events), etc. Irrespective of filling it with home or away fans, a sold out stadium at 18,000 seats (using that as a minimum number) over 6 games brings in REVENUE of almost 4 million dollars. That's with a small average of 10 dollars per person in concessions.

Add in sky box sales, donations that come with being "big time", add in the advertising dollars, and the concerts, etc...and a stadium of that size has the potential to hit $5 million per year at a minimum...potentially nearing 8 million. That's against MARGINAL increases in current costs to operate, which is a tax write off for the school.

Let's call it a cool $5 million in realized revenue. Those dollars, if appropriately utilized, will either pay for the football program itself, which frees up millions to utilize for sports like hoops and baseball, or it gets invested in the form of endowing scholarships, which REALLY frees up funding on two fronts-- it's hard cold cash and it's an accounting balance on the "cost" of a scholarship, which is no true cost at all...it's a seat that would already be filled.

So, while I don't disagree with the things you want done--I do agree they are priorities--I think our hand is being forced to some extent.

Dr. McElroy has done a fine job steering all of our programs. I trust him. I couldn't say that years ago...but I am now.

Nicely said. All points. Expansion will do wonders, for everything.

All of this is true if people come out to support. You can build it but if there are 10 people in a 24k stadium then what? Having said that, I'd like to go for it. The potential upside is much bigger then any downside.

I agree with Dane. Upgrade Football, then Basketball (men's and women's) as those are the 'cash cows' here. Once those programs are doing well and being successful/making revenue...then worry about sports like baseball which likely don't generate much revenue for the school but cost more than anything to maintain. We probably barely break even in that sport.

Then again, I'm not a big baseball fan (although I do watch the highlights in october) or a big soccer fan, etc.

Our main four sports (and thus concerns/priorities for upgrading) are FB, BB, LAX, and T&F. That's it. All the others can wait until funds are available BUT not at the expense of the big four. I realize many people might disagree with me but that's fine, we can agree to disagree.

Edited by Ilko

All of this is true if people come out to support. You can build it but if there are 10 people in a 24k stadium then what? Having said that, I'd like to go for it. The potential upside is much bigger then any downside.

Having a 25k seat stadium? Not much downside there.

But the upside, that's another beast.

The stadium is the key. The larger the stadium goes, the larger the dividends to the entire athletic department, including its facilities.

Of course, we probably don't need a 50k stadium................................................ now :)

Having a 25k seat stadium? Not much downside there.

But the upside, that's another beast.

The stadium is the key. The larger the stadium goes, the larger the dividends to the entire athletic department, including its facilities.

Of course, we probably don't need a 50k stadium................................................ now :)

Sorry, to clarify...get what you can when you can! Didn't mean to imply in any way shape or form that we shouldn't.

Edited by Clickclack

I agree with Dane. Upgrade Football, then Basketball (men's and women's) as those are the 'cash cows' here. Once those programs are doing well and being successful/making revenue...then worry about sports like baseball which likely don't generate much revenue for the school but cost more than anything to maintain. We probably barely break even in that sport.

Then again, I'm not a big baseball fan (although I do watch the highlights in october) or a big soccer fan, etc.

Our main four sports (and thus concerns/priorities for upgrading) are FB, BB, LAX, and T&F. That's it. All the others can wait until funds are available BUT not at the expense of the big four. I realize many people might disagree with me but that's fine, we can agree to disagree.

Ilko--I recommend checking out a soccer game in the new stadium if you can. BestDaneSinceHamlet and I were watching practice from the cheap seats back in October and it's an awesome view. And soccer is a sport you can't help but appreciate when you see the strategy from that vantage point.