UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA to create new VP position focused on branding

madDOG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albany wouldn't fit in the new big east as they are an all catholic school league.

Butler is independent (though originally Disciples of Christ), but otherwise yes, the AA is a better fit than BE or A-10. The A-10 looks to be more compact travel-wise but is more than half private schools. AA might require FBS football.

At an event last night, Mark Benson addressed the issues with the name, and it appears as if this will be more of a marketing effort to solidify an identity and reduce the stratification of Albany State, SUNY Albany, UAlbany, University at Albany, Albany, etc, rather than reinvent the school's name. There was also some discussion about modernizing the logo, possibly emphasizing the Great Dane a bit more.

Albany wouldn't fit in the new big east as they are an all catholic school league.

Butler is independent (though originally Disciples of Christ), but otherwise yes, the AA is a better fit than BE or A-10. The A-10 looks to be more compact travel-wise but is more than half private schools. AA might require FBS football.
I'd like to see us in the MAC one day. An upstate rivalry with UB would be great. Of all the FBS conferences travel wise the MAC prob is the least.

At an event last night, Mark Benson addressed the issues with the name, and it appears as if this will be more of a marketing effort to solidify an identity and reduce the stratification of Albany State, SUNY Albany, UAlbany, University at Albany, Albany, etc, rather than reinvent the school's name. There was also some discussion about modernizing the logo, possibly emphasizing the Great Dane a bit more.

Did I just hear emphasizing the Great Dane more? And a new logo? I just plotzed!

Seriously though, would love to hear more about what he said about those two topics. As you all know, my favorites!

Did I just hear emphasizing the Great Dane more? And a new logo? I just plotzed!

Seriously though, would love to hear more about what he said about those two topics. As you all know, my favorites!

Damien University!

Good to hear—fresh logo, fresh thinking.

God speed, future branders.

I'd like to see us in the MAC one day. An upstate rivalry with UB would be great. Of all the FBS conferences travel wise the MAC prob is the least.

100% agree

I don't get too excited looking at the list of teams in the MAC.

In both basketball and football, the American is the more attractive conference.

If we went through the process of upgrading football, why settle for the MAC, other than travel distance differences..........

We can always schedule buffalo and whoop their ass anytime.

The travel costs of the American conference are not feasible.

The MAC on the other hand is compact geographically and those schools have tiny budgets for FBS. Stony Brook has a larger athletic budget than 2 MAC schools.

You have to take one step at a time. The MAC is the logical next step.

Compact geography

New York is already in their footprint

An existing member with a built in rivalry

Small budgets (For FBS)

Higher RPIs in both football and basketball

No other conference has this much upside

I think you guys really need to take a step back. Again, just my opinion, but I am not sold on the MAC. Have a ton of friends and family who either went to, or live in, MAC areas. I don't think you realize HOW much different those schools are culturally and academically (aside from Buffalo, Ohio, and Miami of Ohio) from that of UA. As for rivalry purposes (and I see this first hand with UMASS), you would barely get fan trips to and from MAC schools. They are so far away. You think the St. Francis trip is far...pffft...that 'aint nuthin'.

Sure, they have some "reputation" from football...and here and there for hoops. But frankly, I'd prefer to see WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE P5 truly breakaway, and they will.

There will likely be a restructuring of conferences, again, and I'd like it to shake out with more "Eastern" schools that could eventually lead to legitimate rivalries. I think the MAC/CAA schools will be at the same level one day (step down from the P5), and I'd much rather affiliate with the W&M's of the world, and compete against the MAC.