UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA to create new VP position focused on branding

madDOG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They let SUNY IT and Nano College rename not 12 months ago. So they do allow major rebranding when it's convenient.

I don't know how they handle any possible partnership with SUNY Downstate with the current name. Sure Albany Law was easy but University at Albany at Brooklyn doesn't work. If it's just a few joint degrees who cares. A real partnership requires rebranding. Period.

I still come back to the historical fact that UAlbany lost the Nano College for the stated reason that this needed to be a state wide initiative. There was no reason it couldn't stay with UAlbany and be state wide other than the branding.

They let SUNY IT and Nano College rename not 12 months ago. So they do allow major rebranding when it's convenient.

I don't know how they handle any possible partnership with SUNY Downstate with the current name. Sure Albany Law was easy but University at Albany at Brooklyn doesn't work. If it's just a few joint degrees who cares. A real partnership requires rebranding. Period.

I still come back to the historical fact that UAlbany lost the Nano College for the stated reason that this needed to be a state wide initiative. There was no reason it couldn't stay with UAlbany and be state wide other than the branding.

THE reason UA lost Nano is the ego of Alain E. Kaloyeros who could not be stopped until he had as much control over this project as he could. I just hope he's not still bleeding UA with a salary for no work (for UA) as he has been the past 5 years. Kaloyeros is now in the process of ensuring his spot in the private sector to the highest bidder who will then move Sematech elsewhere and the silly named SUNY Polytechnic will stop being the darling of the Gov. and cease to be a big deal.

Guys - SUNY isn't letting any major name changes happen.

Focus on media and community engagement. That's what this person needs to do.

What about SUNY at Binghamton and SUNY at SB becoming BU and SBU?

Albany University vs. Univerity at Albany isn't earth shattering. It wouldn't move the needle on anything and would be a waste of money to even do it.

I like the Rutgers approach...

Albany, The State University of New York

but yeah, we're all just spit-balling here. nothing is going to change with the name but there's no question that the school needs to do a better job of marketing itself (especially outside of NYS)

What are the reasons why the school couldn't be renamed 'University of New York' or 'New York State University'?

I was thinking this as well. I like University of New York (UNY) or University of New York - Albany. Or even New York State University.

I like University New York-ALBANY or New York State University-ALBANY. Get rid of the of's an at's if you must (don't bother me actually) but MUST keep ALBANY in the name. I have degrees from Albany from the 70's and 80's, my wife from the 70's and 90's, and has been an adjunct since 2000; and we personally would have trouble identifying with a University that does not include ALBANY in it. Does not bother us, whether it be State Teachers College @ Albany, SUNYA, or UAlbany.

Now for those who want to take Albany away and name it after a famous person; certainly NOT Cuomo (neither father nor son has ever done $iena for UA). Why not Rockefeller, at least he got the new campus built, or how about Edward Durell Stone University or maybe just Stone U.

Rutgers... Yet another university named after a person that history largely forgot. But who cares? It works.

What "Rutgers" gives that university is a unique name, which is important in our digital age. Every publication, tv news story, internet article etc uses "Rutgers". There is no confusion. No URutgers, Rutgers State, SUNY Rutgers or a myriad of other names for the same university. The problem we have is an average person can see our university quoted in 3 different articles, publications, tv news stories and they may use 3 different names. That was the same university?

Add to this mess the 6 or so "Albany"s around the country. New Yorker's seem to blow this off but I live in California and when someone says Albany I assume they mean the town outside of UC Berkley. People in Georgia assume "Albany" means the south Georgia university town.

SUNY has 65 no name campuses. They need to take the assets of those 65 campuses and put them together. Shrink the number of brands to a manageable number. Not close campuses just put them under the same umbrella name.

Why does 2 of the 4 SUNY Centers have no medical school and yet there are 2 free standing independent medical schools? That makes no sense! SUNY Upstate is now part of Binghamton and SUNY Downstate is part of Albany. Change the umbrella university names because again University at Albany at Brooklyn makes no logical sense.

Governor X University can have as many campuses in as many locations as you like. Simple.

Who was the last major university with D1 sports to change its name ? I can't think of any. Only one that comes to mind is Glassboro turning into Rowan but that was a mug smaller school

U La. La. tried to market themselves as "University of Louisiana" and downplay the "Lafayette" but the Ragin' Cajuns haven't made a lot of progress in that. Their domain is "Louisiana.edu" but they still say 'UL Lafayette" on their web site.

Who was the last major university with D1 sports to change its name ? I can't think of any. Only one that comes to mind is Glassboro turning into Rowan but that was a mug smaller school

the last two schools were Binghamton and Stony Brook.

They chose to make the subtle change for a reason.

It's obviously neither impossible nor a silly effort considering they're the two best research universities in SUNY right now.