UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: vs. UVM (Big Purple Growl) 2/6

Crowd was ROCKING tonight. Very rarely do we get that mad collectively. I loved it. Nothing beats last march vs SB, but this was right up there in terms of crowd advantage for a game. If we can get another 1000 seats in the renovation and somehow maintain the ability to stomp our feet to make the stands rattle...no one will want to play in that building with a capacity crowd.

All in all, great game I think. Glad we got the W.

Edited by Ilko

I hate to do this but I have to talk officiating. Someone mentioned the officials got the crowd in the game; and maybe we should be thankful to the officials for doing so, but I would prefer they learn to do their job and call the game right. I know there are always going of to be blown/missed calls and in spite of all my complaining they probably do even out over the coarse of a game, if not the season. But the talk around my section last night was how the officials where losing control of the game and many of us feared a brawl.

Someone mentioned that the officials started to get tough when Cremo and bel got into it; but there was no call on the previous series when Cremo was literally picked up and thrown to the ground. Early in the second half Singletary was racing up the court it probably would not have led to much (may be 3 on 2 break?) when the vt player simply grabbed him around the waist and simply stopped him in his tracks. A foul was called but I do not know why it was not considered intentional--no attempt to go for the ball at all. And a top worse of all time--Rowley going under the basket for a reverse lay up and the vt player simply gives him a shove from behind (Rowley stumbles badly, could have easily fallen forward on his head). Rowley awarded two shots. Absolutely should have been flagrant and intentional. And lastly, on at least two or there occasions, vt guard would jump stop into the lane, then elevate off one foot and shoot. I believe Wyland calls this a Euro-step, whatever the heck that is. To me the jump stop is already at least two steps {already traveling if you will}; but even if you only count the jump stop as one step, when you push off into the air , hence step two and traveling--no basket..

Anyhow, sorry about the rambling. AWESOME WIN.

Edited by dslyank

On the AE board the VT fans are complaining about the reffing benefiting UA.

I watched some of the broadcast on DVR this morning to confirm or dispel my feelings on the refs from last night's person and they were terrible.

A fun one was during the big run early in the second half (about 17:40 left in the second half of you watch a replay). Hooley almost gets a steal when the ball was knocked away towards out of bounds. Hooley chases after the ball. The VT player realizes it is off UA and literally boxes out Hooley to stop him from getting the loose ball. No call?

I talked to an Albany assistant at Across the Street after the game and asked if the refs looked as bad from the bench as they did from the bleachers. He thought tonight wasn't good, but the problem is that there are probably 160 Division I games on Saturday and Sunday and the pool of good referees just isn't that deep. It's better Monday thru Friday.

A fun one was during the big run early in the second half (about 17:40 left in the second half of you watch a replay). Hooley almost gets a steal when the ball was knocked away towards out of bounds. Hooley chases after the ball. The VT player realizes it is off UA and literally boxes out Hooley to stop him from getting the loose ball. No call?

I actually thought that was just a good basketball play. I think Stiedl was the Vermont player.

Whoever lost that game last night was going to be aggriviated by the officiating. We probably put more pressure on the officials to make calls because we drive to the hoop more often and there's often contact. We also took a lot fewer threes than Vermont. You're much less likely to be fouled on a three point shot than a drive to the hoop so they had less opportunities to foul them.

How was the ceremony honoring the 05-06 team?

I thought it was fun and a great idea by whoever put it together.

They did a ceremony at the Feast and then in Sefcu before the game. The sound was a little rough at the Feast but otherwise it neat to see some of those guys again. In the Sefcu ceremony they showed video from Jamar, Jason Siggers and Levi Levine who wouldn't make it to the game. Otherwise, Brian Lillis, JI, Brent Wilson, Brian Connelly, Jared Knotts, David Bauman, Lu Jordan and a bunch of the assistant coaches were there.

And lastly, on at least two or there occasions, vt guard would jump stop into the lane, then elevate off one foot and shoot. I believe Wyland calls this a Euro-step, whatever the heck that is. To me the jump stop is already at least two steps {already traveling if you will}; but even if you only count the jump stop as one step, when you push off into the air , hence step two and traveling--no basket..

Look up Manu Ginobili (SA Spurs - he made it popular and others like Dwyane Wade have put into their games as well). As for the play itself...totally legal and I have zero issues with it. In fact, some players make it look wonderful.

Start this video at the 1:00 mark...notice he only takes 2 steps.

And lastly, on at least two or there occasions, vt guard would jump stop into the lane, then elevate off one foot and shoot. I believe Wyland calls this a Euro-step, whatever the heck that is. To me the jump stop is already at least two steps {already traveling if you will}; but even if you only count the jump stop as one step, when you push off into the air , hence step two and traveling--no basket..

Look up Manu Ginobili (SA Spurs - he made it popular and others like Dwyane Wade have put into their games as well). As for the play itself...totally legal and I have zero issues with it. In fact, some players make it look wonderful.

Start this video at the 1:00 mark...notice he only takes 2 steps.

Watched the game on dvr today. Wyland and Bye absolutely said it was a travel and should have been no basket. I think it occurred somewhere in the last four minutes of the game. They even showed it twice on replay. It was a travel, absolute blown or missed call. The other times, I do not know? (not definitive). There is obviously a correct way to make the play; but the one at the end was not done correctly and the basket should not have been allowed.

Edited by dslyank