UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Holy Cross - 11/30 7:00

Second half D wasn't great for sure, but are we (or coach) really blaming this game on defense? We gave up 55 points even with the offense giving them the ball an additional 18 times. My focus might be on the other end of the floor. Things that I struggle with:

• Mike Rowley had 4 points in the first 4 minutes, played 39 minutes and finished with 6 points (and 10 RB's).
  • Dallas played 27 minutes and took 2 shots (I believe both late in the game).
  • 1-9 from 3.
  • CB had John Iati do the post game. Admitted they got out coached.
  • If it wasn't part of my season ticket package I'd ask for a refund. We made 0 adjustments to the 1-3-1.
  • Like 1

I'm always offense minded. I think we can out score most teams on our schedule. Not that we can play no D of course. I like 80. Not that we necessarily need to but that when we score 80 we win, and that's been constant over the years. We've lost plenty of games where we've held teams in the low 60's and even 50's, but I think you could count on one hand the times we've scored 80+ and lost. Many of those while giving up high 60's and 70's.

Second half D wasn't great for sure, but are we (or coach) really blaming this game on defense? We gave up 55 points even with the offense giving them the ball an additional 18 times. My focus might be on the other end of the floor. Things that I struggle with:

• Mike Rowley had 4 points in the first 4 minutes, played 39 minutes and finished with 6 points (and 10 RB's).
  • 1-9 from 3.
  • If it wasn't part of my season ticket package I'd ask for a refund. We made 0 adjustments to the 1-3-1.

I agree.

The problem last night was NOT D. Some/most of hc 3's were way deep. Their % made while 38 for the game was only 25% in the first half. In the second half they shot 54% from deep. I think hc just kept bombing them up, because they had NO other offense and got lucky. Many of those 3"s were at or near the shot clock expiring and desperate from long range. Our D would be outstanding for 25/26 seconds and then hc would hit a desperation 3. I vote lucky, rather than blame the UA D overall. We lost the game on the offensive end: Too conservative. Too tentative. Too confused. Too much passing and bad passing. Unwilling or Unable to make an outside shot. Maybe we win the game, if we bombed up 29 threes and got a little lucky??

I'm not that upset that a young back court struggled with zone in November. If it's still happening in February it will be a different story.

We weren't shooting them out of the zone, that's for sure. 0-8 from three until Dallas hit one near the end. Too much dribbling into an army of defenders. Watch the film, figuring out you did wrong, and then get better.

• Like 2

• 1-9 from 3.

I agree.

The problem last night was NOT D. Some/most of hc 3's were way deep. Their % made while 38 for the game was only 25% in the first half. In the second half they shot 54% from deep. I think hc just kept bombing them up, because they had NO other offense and got lucky. Many of those 3"s were at or near the shot clock expiring and desperate from long range. Our D would be outstanding for 25/26 seconds and then hc would hit a desperation 3. I vote lucky, rather than blame the UA D overall. We lost the game on the offensive end: Too conservative. Too tentative. Too confused. Too much passing and bad passing. Unwilling or Unable to make an outside shot. Maybe we win the game, if we bombed up 29 threes and got a little lucky??

I'm not sure I can agree. How is allow a team to bomb 3's on you (repeatedly, especially one guy) good defense? Once a guy hits 2 on you, you should be in his face at almost halfcourt. We weren't. We let that kid take NBA 3's and he swished all of them. You adjust your D to what the offense is doing...if they are shooting (and making) 30ft shots, you go out to 30ft.

So, bad D.

Giving up only 55 points, while providing the other team with 18 TO's (extra possessions) is not a bad defensive showing. We should win almost every time we allow 55 points. I'm not looking at the short stretch where a guy that shoots <33% (after last night) buries a few 3's. Should we have got out on him? Of course. Should we be working on O or D the next couple of days based solely on this game? I'd say 90% on O.

• 1-9 from 3.

I agree.

I'm not sure I can agree. How is allow a team to bomb 3's on you (repeatedly, especially one guy) good defense? Once a guy hits 2 on you, you should be in his face at almost halfcourt. We weren't. We let that kid take NBA 3's and he swished all of them. You adjust your D to what the offense is doing...if they are shooting (and making) 30ft shots, you go out to 30ft.

So, bad D.

You don't get up in the grill of a team shooting like they did in the first half, you let them keep bombing and shooting themselves in the foot. They got lucky and a few three fell.

This loss was on the offense... Clueless against that one three one. This team can put up big numbers... Should have attacked that zone and this wouldn't have been a game where a few lucky threes made the difference. For to hesitant tentative,just really unsure and it showed. Guards are young, will learn.

Edited by Clickclack

I'm not a coach, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the key to beating the 131 was quick crisp skip passes. Corner to opposite wing and back. Quick ball movement and keeping the zone moving and shifting. It's gotta be like hot potato fast. It seemed to me that every time the ball made it to the corner they hesitated and were to slow and end up being double teamed and trapped. They did lots of cross court skip passes, but they were slow, telegraphed lobs. The more you get the zone to shift and move, the better chance of an open cut to the rim or a clean 3 from the corner.

Do I remember correctly from my high school varsity bench warmer days?

They were the same kind of turnovers we made against Cincinnatti, except nobody expects Cross to cut off the passes like that, there's no excuse for slow passes.

Yes you attack the 1-3-1 by passing into the corner, but then you have to pass again if they collapse on you, or drive to the hoop if they don't. Or hit a 3.