UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

15 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

TU story on Horton committing

Will be 22 on May 1, two years eligibility left

“I can hit shots," said Horton, who made 33 percent of his 3-point attempts for Pratt, averaging nearly five attempts per game, “but my best asset is getting in the lane, keeping pressure on the defense. Me being a bigger guard, it draws some extra attention. I know Albany has a couple of shooters, so that should work out perfectly.”

He played high school basketball at Holy Cross in Jamaica.

“He might be one of the more well-liked guys on our campus,” Flynn (Pratt CC coach) said, "from secretaries to custodians to anyone in the building. He has an incredible personality. You’ll remember him and you’ll want to talk to him.”

UAlbany AD still interested in playing Siena men's basketball next season

But Maciarello texted he is not talking to UAlbany about reviving the game 

In regards to the renewal of the UAlbany -Siena Basketball 🏀 Rivalry game; after listening to Mark Benson the other night, I was left the feeling that this was a man looking for revenue sources and ways to control expenses.  Yes, one and one is the ideal situation and while Maciacello stated he is not talking to UAlbany, I am certain Siena A.D. John is mulling this over.  This game is about the money 💰not the rivalry.

Edited by cwdickens
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KingDane said:

We did not get to see much of Dougherty, but the little we did see was less than impressive.

Yeah...unfortunate. He was billed a guy who could come in as a true freshman and immediately contribute. I don't even know, had he stayed here, if he'd have been able to contribute this upcoming season. Regardless, I wish him well and if he left the team due to personal reasons such as health, family health, etc. I wish his whole family well! 

Lulka averaged 10 a game and was the leading rebounder AS A FRESHMAN ! . He will be fine.

The roster is starting to worry me. Healy , Hank, Horton, Lulka , De Sousa, Rizzuto will all be jrs. That's 6 guys. We have 3 scholarships left and need to balance the classes a little bit. Cant have 2 or 3 more jrs. 

1 hour ago, Bball2020 said:

Any update on shafer, lulka, hank? Any takers or did they enter yet? Would love more open scholarships to get some athletes in. Horton is a big step in right direction. When program was dominant they sprinkled iowa and australian kids in with nyc athletes!

Your posts are a bit crazy man. Shafer was hurt, so jury is out on that one, but Lulka had a great freshmen year and ALL of our players regressed last year (or weren't put into position to succeed) which may come down to coaching. Hank was one of our few bright spots. Are you expecting Hank to have to score 15ppg to justify his place on the team? The guy is easily one of the our best post defenders (meaning, like top 5) of the past decade. If there is anyone I'd hate to lose, it would be Hank.

• Like 1

Disagree on hank wouldnt make roster at many teams in our league, lulka was a good frosh but significantly sucked last year, no coaching. Is not to blame for a kid regressing there adults they take responsibility. Top 5 defenders in league— brent hank!? What!? April fools joke or something? We need new big Men to complement healy, amica anderson and horton. Yes beating stony brook and umbc on the trail is huge, there facilities and bugdet trump UAs

• Haha 1

Shafer, Lulka and even Anderson cannot be judged by the past year for argument sake they were hampered by injury the whole season, look what Healy's injury did to him do you think he just forgot how to shoot?

Hank's progression is starting to look somewhat like Puk's, the longer Puk was here the better he got and Puk was very effective especially as a SR. Early in Puk's career many of us questioned if he would ever help us and he wound up be very good for us.

I believe we still need at least 2 Bigs. I think if Lulka can comeback healthy he could easily be a 10 and 7 type big with what we have on the perimeter. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bball2020 said:

Disagree on hank wouldnt make roster at many teams in our league, lulka was a good frosh but significantly sucked last year, no coaching. Is not to blame for a kid regressing there adults they take responsibility. Top 5 defenders in league— brent hank!? What!? April fools joke or something? We need new big Men to complement healy, amica anderson and horton. Yes beating stony brook and umbc on the trail is huge, there facilities and bugdet trump UAs

You need to take a breath and read posts slower. Your comprehension is suffering as a result of you not doing those things.

I didn't say top 5 defenders in the league. I said top 5 defenders at the center position at UA in the past decade. Name me 5 or even 10 players better at the C position than Brent Hank (defensively) who wore a UA uniform in the last 10 years?

Hank would likely make every roster in the AE (if they played even a remotely similar style to UA). He would not fit a run'n'gun offense obviously.

Like I said, your posts are crazy. I get the indication that you look at PPG as your only stat of significance and completely discount all of the other little things that happen on a basketball court. Hanks job is not to score points. Its to defend the paint. Full stop. And he does a very good job of that IMO.

As for budgets...Click Clack has covered that ad nauseum already. Winning has little to do with budgets and facilities (I used to think the same way as you). Vermont has proven that for many many many years.

Full text:

On 2/28/2020 at 9:04 AM, Clickclack said:

So sick and tired hearing how UA isn't a good program, how UA is such a low level program, how UA has horrible facilities, how UA has no budget and no support. This is completely HORSE $iena! Let me be clear again...anyone claiming that the reason UA is in the position that it is, is simply out of their ever loving mind. 

Albany MBB budget stands at $1.853mill dollars a year, Vermont is at $1.763mil, UMBC spends $1.548mill,  SBU spends $2.193mill for athletic year 2018, Hartford $1.802mill, latest numbers available. Albany offers COLA just like other programs. Hartford has comparable facilities, UVM has the worst facilities in the AE although they broke ground on a new facility last year. 

If you are looking where to place the blame for the $ienaty state of the program anywhere OTHER THAN coaching, recruiting, player development...your posts can't be taken seriously. Brown deserves NO credit for putting a $ienaty product on the court unless someone can say that he was kidnapped and held in a broom closet for months on end and someone else recruited this roster. 

Edited by Eli

Malachi de Sousa will be transferring.  I like him as a player but really really regressed the 2nd half of the year . Was never the player we thought he would be. 

We have seemed to miss on several recuits. Hopefully we will turn it around otherwise it will be a very very long year again.