UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Post-sports distraction

Jammaster

I enjoy looking at this site, even some of the bickering. I don't post much, but I find the comments interesting and helpful. Since athletics are cancelled for who knows how long, I wonder if folks might want to keep conversations going in one form or another—as a replacement distraction. One idea could be to talk about random UAlbany memories.

I remember the blizzard of 1993, which dumped about 27 inches on the city throughout one night. I was living on State quad, and we went out the next morning and played football in it, even though the snow was up to our knees and we were basically all moving in slow motion. Since most roads were dangerous to drive on for several days, we couldn't goto the bars, and so everyone just held parties in the suite rooms. Soon enough, we were going a bit stir crazy, and so we trudged our way to the Denny's on Western. The walk was long and cold and icy, but it felt like freedom to be out of the dorm and heading to some civilization. Not sure if it's there anymore, but you could always get unlimited coffee and a side of fries, and just sit there for 3 hours—for a grand total of about $3.50. 

Edited by Jammaster
addition

Yeah, this lack of sports is really gettin me in the feels right now. This is me:

90259750_2833184050108539_19768959350740

As for memories...I'm a pretty recent grad ('16 - adult night school student who graduated in his late 20's) and didn't live on campus, etc. but I really miss the overall environment. Sometimes my wife and I will go to UA in the summer just to stroll the LC, fountain, Collins circle, etc. at night. Speaking of going to UA during the cold months, the tunnels were the best thing ever. As a night student, I'd park in the staff lot right by the volleyball courts and it was a quick walk to get into the first tunnel...saved me so many times from the blistering cold.

• Haha 1

I enrolled in SUNYA fall 1967 just as the new campus was being built. I have a million stories but will just tell a couple for now. Lived in Brubacher Hall and in the winter of 68, riding the UA old green bus up to the new campus. Minus 20 something [actual not windchill--no bs] and the bus catches fire. Motor or something in the floor back of bus--no one wanted to evacuate too cold, we were all very happy to warm ourselves in the burning bus.

In the fall of 1967 the Physical Education building was not fully completed. At that time Phys. Ed was a requirement. So we did calisthenics outside, led by some ancient instructor Spud or Bud (I'm sure others with a better memory than mine can tell you more about this character.) As the weather got colder we moved our exercises into the tunnels and also jogged for miles in the tunnels. I have never done a marathon in my life, but I'm sure my time in the tunnels would qualify me. Also in-spite of the warmth of the tunnels which were always steaming, Spud sadistically enjoyed taking us outside in our gym shorts an T's for "warm-up" exercises.

Last story about being @ UA while under construction: There was a language requirement at that time. I was a four year Latin student in high school and did not want to try and fill this requirement with what would have been almost a graduate level course. While most of my friends were continuing French, Spanish, German, Italian which they began in high school, I enrolled in Russian I [basically equivalent to a freshman in high school course.] It was a 4 credit course (3 +1 credit lab.) The labs were suppose to be completed by the second semester; of course they were not. With barely being able to speak a word of Russian, I scored the top written score on the Russian final given the Spring  of 68. I could translate, conjugate and new vocabulary with the best of them. The final included an oral part, but because the labs were not finished until late 68; the oral part of the final was waved and I had the top written score.My instructor a young woman whom I had a mad crush on said my oral score on a pass/fail bases was definitely F. Received two semesters of 4 credits x 4.0 grade = 16 x 2 =32 QPA. 

ps Had my ONLY 4.0 semester in 69 when finals were canceled due to the KENT State etc. Guarantee I would NOT have gotten a 4.0 if I had to take finals.

Edited by dslyank
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

I enrolled in SUNYA fall 1967 just as the new campus was being built. I have a million stories but will just tell a couple for now. Lived in Brubacher Hall and in the winter of 68, riding the UA old green bus up to the new campus. Minus 20 something [actual not windchill--no bs] and the bus catches fire. Motor or something in the floor back of bus--no one wanted to evacuate too cold, we were all very happy to warm ourselves in the burning bus.

In the fall of 1967 the Physical Education building was not fully completed. At that time Phys. Ed was a requirement. So we did calisthenics outside, led by some ancient instructor Spud or Bud (I'm sure others with a better memory than mine can tell you more about this character.) As the weather got colder we moved our exercises into the tunnels and also jogged for miles in the tunnels. I have never done a marathon in my life, but I'm sure my time in the tunnels would qualify me. Also in-spite of the warmth of the tunnels which were always steaming, Spud sadistically enjoyed taking us outside in our gym shorts an T's for "warm-up" exercises.

Last story about being @ UA while under construction: There was a language requirement at that time. I was a four year Latin student in high school and did not want to try and fill this requirement with what would have been almost a graduate level course. While most of my friends were continuing French, Spanish, German, Italian which they began in high school, I enrolled in Russian I [basically equivalent to a freshman in high school course.] It was a 4 credit course (3 +1 credit lab.) The labs were suppose to be completed by the second semester; of course they were not. With barely being able to speak a word of Russian, I scored the top written score on the Russian final given the Spring  of 68. I could translate, conjugate and new vocabulary with the best of them. The final included an oral part, but because the labs were not finished until late 68; the oral part of the final was waved and I had the top written score.My instructor a young woman whom I had a mad crush on said my oral score on a pass/fail bases was definitely F. Received two semesters of 4 credits x 4.0 grade = 16 x 2 =32 QPA. 

ps Had my ONLY 4.0 semester in 69 when finals were canceled due to the KENT State etc. Guarantee I would NOT have gotten a 4.0 if I had to take finals.

Privet comrade. Kak y vas dela sichas? 🤣

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

I lived on the same corridor with dslyank freshman year at Brubacher. Yes, I remember the physical education requirement. As dslyank stated, the Phys Ed building was incomplete, so we couldn't do much of a physical nature; instead, we had phys ed lectures in a space below the main floor of the library. We also had to read a thick book for the course first semester. It was the only time I pulled an all-nighter for a course. I didn't do outstanding on that exam. Afterwards, though, I tried to live up to the maxim in the phys ed book to get enough sleep before important dates the next day.

I also took Russian while at SUNYA, but I began my sophomore year. I am sorry that the university has suspended Russian language classes, but I understand. Although it was about 50 years ago that I took those classes, I still remember some of the language. It came in very handy for me last spring when I had an amazing encounter in Ukraine. I am thankful to SUNYA for providing me with that experience. Yes, many of my great memories of SUNYA revolve around athletics, but a lot of them are special for other reasons. I'm sure each of us could recite similar memories.

I was a commuter. Started Fall 1970. Most everything was complete uptown except Indian quad tower. Some dummy had set fire to a lounge or two during protests. Registered for the draft at University College in October. Went to all of the Football games and most of the basketball games. Remember names like Jack Jordan, John Quattrochi whose sister turned out to be my daughter’s HS Spanish teacher), Sheridan, Werner Koln, etc. First day second semester in Jan 1971 it was -28, I think still an Albany record. You could go to the McDonalds in Westmere and get a full meal with change back on a dollar! Remember Platz or Platt’s Place on Wolf Rd? Holiday Sing? Ebbiie the Eep in the ASP? Telethon? Good times  

• Like 2

One positive to their not being a March Madness is the Eli and I are spared from making lousy picks in our brackets.

I remember getting up in the mornings on campus and doing repeats up the stairs of the Dutch Quad tower. I remember those sucking.

One of my more vivid memories was when Ralph Tortorici brought a rifle into the lecture centers just before winter break and held a bunch of students hostage. It was my former suitemates (a former UA football player) and some other students who wrestled him to the ground and got the rifle away from him. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

One positive to their not being a March Madness is the Eli and I are spared from making lousy picks in our brackets.

I remember getting up in the mornings on campus and doing repeats up the stairs of the Dutch Quad tower. I remember those sucking.

One of my more vivid memories was when Ralph Tortorici brought a rifle into the lecture centers just before winter break and held a bunch of students hostage. It was my former suitemates (a former UA football player) and some other students who wrestled him to the ground and got the rifle away from him. 

Hey, you speak for yourself! lol.

I never knew there was an incident like that at the school. WOW!

• Like 1