UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Games 13 & 14 vs Stony Brook University 02-20-2021 @ 4:00 PM & 02-21-2021 @ 2:00 PM SEFCU Arena

I love everything CB has done  - quality teams, quality men, true student-athletes and quality contributors to society. That said, the program is no longer relevant and I see no plan nor do I see  (nor hear) fire in the belly of the coach. Sometimes change for all is just needed. We need to rebuild with a plan - and yes, there will likely be growing pains and we will need to be patient but this team has become unwatchable anyway. I would rather see five freshmen on the court applying full court pressure all game than watch this - we have no foundation to build upon, no stud recruits coming in, we have no PG, no inside game, and get crushed on the boards every night. In this day and age, CB should be commended for running a clean, virtually problem-free program. But we now need the athletes and we need a plan....

Edited by dane85
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

I feel like if he was staying it would have been extended by now, no?

Who knows...he was done no favors with Covid and some of the injuries. Just a wonky weird brutal season on all fronts. But everyone had to deal with Covid issues. Schedule also played out to Albanys disadvantage but it is what it is. Albanys athletic budget is decimated, unclear what direction Benson and UA leadership with take not only in terms of personel but budget management etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dane85 said:

I love everything CB has done  - quality teams, quality men, true student-athletes and quality contributors to society. That said, the program is no longer relevant and I see no plan nor do I see  (nor hear) fire in the belly of the coach. Sometimes change for all is just needed. We need to rebuild with a plan - and yes, there will likely be growing pains and we will need to be patient but this team has become unwatchable anyway. I would rather see five freshmen on the court applying full court pressure all game than watch this - we have no foundation to build upon, no stud recruits coming in, we have no PG, no inside game, and get crushed on the boards every night. In this day and age, CB should be commended for running a clean, virtually problem-free program. But we now need the athletes and we need a plan....

It's been a really sad 3 season now...really depressing.

I haven't watched a game in weeks (haven't even been updating my stats spreadsheet - last update was early Jan against St. Josephs). I honestly don't even know what's going on anymore. Saw this topic had a 'hot' sticker next to it and I thought maybe it was something good but, alas, I was disappointed.

As sad as it is because he took our programs to heights we hadn't ever seen before, I think this is it for Brown. Not sure we can really blame it even mostly on COVID and the crazy year...UMBC and UVM didn't seem to have tooooo much trouble.

Edited by Eli

22 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

This team has a little bit of talent.  But is super soft.  I mean you can't get any softer. I extend Brown 1 year.  See if most of the team comes back and gets a full summer to gel. 

I think a 1yr contract or a coach going into the end of a contract is a bad idea...4 years players may not be interested in coming here and the only guys you'll be able to get are JUCO's and 1yr graduate players. I know a coaches contract would be a decent part of the equation for me if I was a college athlete looking at schools.

The reason for the 1 year contract is because I believe most guys are coming back next year. You may have 1 or 2 scholarships at the most in this scenario.  Brown made it clear in an earlier interview that he will be recruiting less and less 4 year kids.  

A lot of new players this year, I would like to see what happens if they all (most) return. If this fails you can move on with a new coach pretty easily.  

We entered the weekend with 10 games, one other team had 12 and the rest 14.  We lost two starters last week, two reserves this week.  We were terrible today BUT

you simply have to suck it up and play well tomorrow and see where you land.  Except for UMBC which we played close both games we have not lost twice on a weekend.

It is One and Done Time.  Be Positive!

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

The reason for the 1 year contract is because I believe most guys are coming back next year. You may have 1 or 2 scholarships at the most in this scenario.  Brown made it clear in an earlier interview that he will be recruiting less and less 4 year kids.  

A lot of new players this year, I would like to see what happens if they all (most) return. If this fails you can move on with a new coach pretty easily.  

He said that? Openly? In an interview? Not sure I agree with that strategy...our best years were when our core 4-5 guys were 4 year players...look where our teams have been when our core has been JUCO fill-ins (like this year). Mediocre at best.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

A one year contract is not realistic and is not going to happen. It offers no stability or consistency for the coach, the school, the players or recruits.  My guess is CB gets a three year extension or we get a new coach. Given that an extension has not been given by now, and there has been no mention of contract negotiations (obviously they could be taking place without our knowledge), my guess is that a change may be coming. The school may also not be able to afford a pay increase for CB given the current climate. Change can be good and it might be time - for all concerned.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eli said:

He said that? Openly? In an interview? Not sure I agree with that strategy...our best years were when our core 4-5 guys were 4 year players...look where our teams have been when our core has been JUCO fill-ins (like this year). Mediocre at best.

Look around and take stock of the environment we are in especially with the transfer sit out rule being waved. Mids and lows will be feeder programs for P5...as soon as you develop a kid he'll split. Need to adjust to new reality and that will be increasingly taking cast offs from P5 programs. There is talent to be found there...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1