UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

Are we all just going to assume this is all on Benson? The athletic department is probably hemorrhaging money from this pandemic. Is the state and school really in the position to give out a 3-4 year contract up to 400k per? I don’t want to hear that it’s easy to just take a 50% pay cut remaining at the same employer. None of you would take a 50% pay cut to stay at your current job.

Like others have said Brown was dealt a bad hand at the end of the 17-18 season and never was able to recover from it.

Also this lifetime contract talk is ridiculous. No one deserves a lifetime contract in today’s world, but I’d bring him back and give him another chance as clearly the way coaches are recruiting at our level has completely changed. 

Edited by UA'08

25 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Also this lifetime contract talk is ridiculous. No one deserves a lifetime contract in today’s world, but I’d bring him back and give him another chance as clearly the way coaches are recruiting at our level has completely changed. 

I don't think anyone is saying life time contract.

9 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

There are some that have said he should chose when to leave on his own terms. 

That is absolutely not acceptable to me as a fan...in fact I'll go on record and say I'm not happy as a fan with the last 5 years...especially unhappy with the last 3. This program is not in good shape and I'm sorry if that upsets people. I fully understand and was here for many of the greatest years of the Will Brown era, but this here isn't it. I understand the argument of mid major basketball is cyclical and I reject this notion. Look at teams like UVM, they've beaten this program like a rented mule with worse facilities. Last time we won a chip was 6 years ago. How many regular season title...what 2 or 3 in 20 years? 

If there is an extension I would not max it out...the program and university is bigger than anyone one person.

Fact is, if this program didn't go out and lose for 3 years like it was its job we wouldn't be here. Who's to blame for that?

Edited by Clickclack

9 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

If there is an extension I would not max it out...the program and university is bigger than anyone one person.

I agree. All we know is will brown has now spoken on the topic and getting out in front on it before Benson publicly. Like I said in my earlier post I just can’t see anyone willing to take a pay cut to continue working at the same place you’ve been at for 20 years. It just doesn’t make sense. 

I have a feeling it is going to end up being mutual in WB and Albany parting ways.

I could be wrong but Albany is almost all state funded.  I don't see a coach taking a massive pay cut. We will be getting a bail out any day now . (Whether you agree or not). 

I kind of changed my mind. I would ask Brown to take a 2-3 year deal. But if I were Brown I may not take it if I could get 5 from Binghamton.  

Either way we should know pretty soon . I would think if Benson wanted to move on he would want to start the interview process asap.  

8 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

I could be wrong but Albany is almost all state funded.  I don't see a coach taking a massive pay cut. We will be getting a bail out any day now . (Whether you agree or not). 

I kind of changed my mind. I would ask Brown to take a 2-3 year deal. But if I were Brown I may not take it if I could get 5 from Binghamton.  

Either way we should know pretty soon . I would think if Benson wanted to move on he would want to start the interview process asap.  

It's not my decision to make I'll accept whatever the outcome is. But Benson's ass is on the line if he moves on. You can't make this move and set program back 5 more years.

Choose wisely...

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Not even close!  Less than 20% of funds come from the State.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, alum73 said:

Not just athletics.  About the same for total budget.

Did not know that. Just as bad with current state. The school is clearly losing a ton of their own money just even having an athletic season with zero fans. I thought that WB contract only allowed his base to go up to a certain amount and length of years due to the state.

7 hours ago, alum73 said:

Not even close!  Less than 20% of funds come from the State.

Thanks for the information.  I'm sure almost all lower level schools are having money issues.  I don't see even a new coach taking a significant pay cut.  I'm sure a new coach would be less but again I don't know .