UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

Just now, Clickclack said:

Will Brown didn't love the UA situation and lack of resources as much as people think he did. 

While true (and you and i know how true), that just means the Athletic Director failed at his job to provide the resources.  Put simply, what has Benson done that has moved the needle or put Albany through the proverbial next checkpoint since the McElroy days?  

The AD's job, among other tasks, is to:

1) Manage a department, inclusive of resources;

2) Promote the school;

3) Advance community outreach, town/gown; and

4) Fundraise to ensure that the departments have the resources they need.

Track and field, nationally prominent program, doesn't even have a scoreboard for their beautiful track when they hold meets.

Football- doesn't have air conditioning in their lockerrooms

Basketball- don't buy the hype about who did what for the scoreboard.  The facilities are trash, built during my recruitment in the early 90's.

Lacrosse- can't even find 3 million to finish the lockers that are supposed to be under the Fallon Field stands

etc...etc.

His office has completely bungled Title IX.

My point to the rant- Will shouldn't be happy with the resources, shouldn't be happy that he had to beg for COLA.  That's the AD's job to figure out...not the coach.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blorp said:

Brown must have seen the writing on the wall and I'm sure that, as much as anything to do with covid, played a part in Jackson attending UA this year

If anything positive came out of this season, Brown got to Coach his boy...and Jackson got into the record books as playing a Division 1 basketball game...for his father no less.  This gives me some ability to smile today. 

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

While true (and you and i know how true), that just means the Athletic Director failed at his job to provide the resources.  Put simply, what has Benson done that has moved the needle or put Albany through the proverbial next checkpoint since the McElroy days?  

The AD's job, among other tasks, is to:

1) Manage a department, inclusive of resources;

2) Promote the school;

3) Advance community outreach, town/gown; and

4) Fundraise to ensure that the departments have the resources they need.

Track and field, nationally prominent program, doesn't even have a scoreboard for their beautiful track when they hold meets.

Football- doesn't have air conditioning in their lockerrooms

Basketball- don't buy the hype about who did what for the scoreboard.  The facilities are trash, built during my recruitment in the early 90's.

Lacrosse- can't even find 3 million to finish the lockers that are supposed to be under the Fallon Field stands

etc...etc.

His office has completely bungled Title IX.

My point to the rant- Will shouldn't be happy with the resources, shouldn't be happy that he had to beg for COLA.  That's the AD's job to figure out...not the coach.  

True, but my point is simple, I'm not sure Will is crying his eyes out about them parting. For these reasons above...

I'm not a Benson fan, this guy is a COMPLETE zero! He has accomplished almost NOTHING for any program here. I have sat there and watched him screw up a simple bag-check policy, I have seen him lie about who forced him to institute the policy. We know how he effed up to the Title IX issues and has no clue what he's doing with all that. 

To be frank, be very afraid of who he's going to hire, this guy has a bad track record in hiring coaches. Doesn't mean it wasn't time to move on here, but Benson is a loser!

• Like 1

Personally I am devastated. This NOT about whether Will Brown is a good coach or not. He will land on his feet. This is NOT about money per say. What they save on a new coach will be a pittance in the scheme of things. This is about Benson NOT liking Brown and playing favorites. 

Benson came here to build-up the football program and one can argue whether he has done that or not; but IMHO what he has done while "trying" to build football has been detrimental to all other UA athletic programs and even deadly to some.

University Athletics in spite of everything you read is NOT a business. It is part of a non-profit education system and about STUDENT ATHLETES. It is NOT about winning and losing, but about STUDENT ATHLETES. OK maybe it is naive to say a person or coach should get a life time contract. UA Professors have tenure. If you have children most of their teachers have tenure aka a life time contract. 

OK you can argue whether a basketball coach [at a public institution qualifies for tenure] and you can even argue whether tenure is a good thing or not; but IMHO there is NO valid reason for Will Browns firing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, dslyank said:

Personally I am devastated. This NOT about whether Will Brown is a good coach or not. He will land on his feet. This is NOT about money per say. What they save on a new coach will be a pittance in the scheme of things. This is about Benson NOT liking Brown and playing favorites. 

Benson came here to build-up the football program and one can argue whether he has done that or not; but IMHO what he has done while "trying" to build football has been detrimental to all other UA athletic programs and even deadly to some.

University Athletics in spite of everything you read is NOT a business. It is part of a non-profit education system and about STUDENT ATHLETES. It is NOT about winning and losing, but about STUDENT ATHLETES. OK maybe it is naive to say a person or coach should get a life time contract. UA Professors have tenure. If you have children most of their teachers have tenure aka a life time contract. 

OK you can argue whether a basketball coach [at a public institution qualifies for tenure] and you can even argue whether tenure is a good thing or not; but IMHO there is NO valid reason for Will Browns firing. 

Mic drop, spot on.  

This should be required reading for all. 

33 minutes ago, B9j2j6s said:

Anyone think that Benson already has a hire in mind?

Benson is mindless and in-competent. Don't hold your breath for a quality hire. If lucky maybe his hire won't take 6-7 years to build maybe build-up a program like his last major hire maybe has

8 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I'll take a contrarian view...you can't continue down this path of not being relevant for another 5 years. The product on the floor has not been good for the last 3 years. I know that will upset people but it's true. One only has to look at the game threads. And yes, a basketball coaches job is to put a competitive product on the floor, not sure how anyone could say it's not about winning or losing. So if they want 8-22 for 5 years you'd advocate the status quo?

They made it out of the quarter finals ONCE this contract, the first year. The team has finished in 5th, 7th and 6th in a BAD AE for the last 3 years. How does that qualify for life tenure?

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dslyank said:

Benson is mindless and in-competent. Don't hold your breath for a quality hire. If lucky maybe his hire won't take 6-7 years to build maybe build-up a program like his last major hire maybe has

Bensons job should be tied to this hire, as this coach goes so does Benson. 

• Like 1

Can someone provide a breakdown of the current roster in terms of year, eligibility, etc as well as recruit commitments for next year and/or the year after?

And what were the Cam Healey injuries this year? He clearly was not the same player. If he can get healthy, it would be good to keep him but he also may be attractive to a higher level program as a role player.

Just now, dane85 said:

Can someone provide a breakdown of the current roster in terms of year, eligibility, etc as well as recruit commitments for next year and/or the year after?

And what were the Cam Healey injuries this year? He clearly was not the same player. If he can get healthy, it would be good to keep him but he also may be attractive to a higher level program as a role player.

Check recruiting thread and keep in mind that all the kids get an extra year. This one was a non-counter. 

There are ZERO recruit for next year at this time which speaks volumes. Can't remember there not being a kid announced in the fall period. It's almost if both sides knew this was the last dance regardless of outcome. 

As a long term fan I have mixed emotions.  WB had some great years here and produced by all accounts high level, high character student-athletes.  For that he's to be commended and thanked.  

Is Benson great/awful?  He seems to not have a lot of fans.  Are our facilities up to par?  Absolutely not.

That said, this program is stale and was trending downward.  Outside of Rizutto no 4 year recruits had even a moderate impact on this season.  Reasons and excuses are fine but over time this falls on the Head Coach.  Add the contract situation into this (and an apparent personality conflict) it was time. 

Will seemed like a good guy and nobody likes to see somebody lose their job but he was well compensated for a long time.  His son was born and raised in one location.  In the coaching profession that is extremely rare.  Realistic or not, results matter, even at this level.  And the results have not been good lately.  

• Like 1

Just now, McFan said:

As a long term fan I have mixed emotions.  WB had some great years here and produced by all accounts high level, high character student-athletes.  For that he's to be commended and thanked.  

Is Benson great/awful?  He seems to not have a lot of fans.  Are our facilities up to par?  Absolutely not.

That said, this program is stale and was trending downward.  Outside of Rizutto no 4 year recruits had even a moderate impact on this season.  Reasons and excuses are fine but over time this falls on the Head Coach.  Add the contract situation into this (and an apparent personality conflict) it was time. 

Will seemed like a good guy and nobody likes to see somebody lose their job but he was well compensated for a long time.  His son was born and raised in one location.  In the coaching profession that is extremely rare.  Realistic or not, results matter, even at this level.  And the results have not been good lately.  

Mixed emotions is exactly what it is for me. If results do not matter we might as well move back down to D2/D3.