UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coach Brown/AD Benson Thread

I would have like to see Will have another chance. Let’s wait and hear the reasoning from Benson first. In the end it could be good for both parties. 

I don’t know either Benson or Brown so to assume that it’s just because they don’t like each other is wrong. I believe the reason could be more financial. 

Edited by UA'08

25 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Benson axed Will according to Rodger on Twitter.

This has been corroborated with a bunch of other reports...the end of an era. There will be plenty of time to discuss why, how and now what. Coach Brown will always be remembered as a legend and I thank him and his family for the immeasurable contributions to the UA program. This will take a while to process. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

This has been corroborated with a bunch of other reports...the end of an era. There will be plenty of time to discuss why, how and now what. Coach Brown will always be remembered as a legend and I thank him and his family for the immeasurable contributions to the UA program. This will take a while to process. 

Agreed. Thank you to WB who made following the low ranks of college basketball a thing for me in the mid 2000s. I never for a second thought I’d be following the basketball program still today when I decided on going to Albany in 2004.

Time will only tell if this is the right decision. Best of luck to him and his fam.

As one of the admitted leaders of the time to move on bandwagon, I am pleased to see that they decided to shift gears, however, it is not without sadness and a bit of "i hope this is the right move" as it's never easy to see a pillar of the community replaced who did take us from nothing to something.

Kudos to what Will has accomplished on and off the court. Ideally this ends up as an Andy Reid/Eagles situation where they both ended up with Super Bowls after their split (although the Eagles are currently in far worse shape)

• Like 3

Can't wait until he goes to Binghamton and haunts us. Despise this move. I'm sorry, get ready for a bunch of people to leave. Gonna be a total rebuild. I hope some of you are just as upset with sub .500 records for the next 2 years minimum with this move. I'm not happy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Can't wait until he goes to Binghamton and haunts us. Despise this move. I'm sorry, get ready for a bunch of people to leave. Gonna be a total rebuild. I hope some of you are just as upset with sub .500 records for the next 2 years minimum with this move. I'm not happy.

Bing is elevating an assistant, that door has closed. 

As for being just as upset with the next two years sub .500...that's not fair to the new guy. Certainly the new coach should have an opportunity to put in his own system, recruits etc. It's not fair to give the new guy ZERO runway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Too be fair we’ve been sub .500 the past 3 years. The WB diehards are hot right now understandably, but everything eventually comes to an end. I do believe it’s unfair to be judged off this season and that’s just terrible luck for WB. At what point would it be time to move on for you?

3 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Bing is elevating an assistant, that door has closed. 

As for being just as upset with the next two years sub .500...that's not fair to the new guy. Certainly the new coach should have an opportunity to put in his own system, recruits etc. It's not fair to give the new guy ZERO runway. 

Everyone just assuming Albany is done forever.  Smh.

Disappointing news, even if it doesn't seem entirely surprising. Always struck me as a high character guy that recruited high character players. I'm sad to see him go and I'll be sad to see the players that leave with him leave.

Unless one of them is elevated to head coach, I'm assuming that most of the assistants will also be on their way out the door, as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blorp said:

Disappointing news, even if it doesn't seem entirely surprising. Always struck me as a high character guy that recruited high character players. I'm sad to see him go and I'll be sad to see the players that leave with him leave.

Unless one of them is elevated to head coach, I'm assuming that most of the assistants will also be on their way out the door, as well.

That's the nature of the business...we'll see who is left standing on the roster and on the sideline. 

Thanks to Brown for everything he has done. 

That being said it will be interesting who we can get. Even though we have been bad for a few years our name nationally may not be.  3 straight tournaments and the Hooley shot only 5 years ago may help. 

Do we expect an assistant from a good Power 5? I don't know.  Will be very interesting for sure.  

58 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

I would have like to see Will have another chance. Let’s wait and hear the reasoning from Benson first. In the end it could be good for both parties. 

I don’t know either Benson or Brown so to assume that it’s just because they don’t like each other is wrong. I believe the reason could be more financial. 

It’s a fact.  I knew about this before the summer.  Benson wanted to do this last year.  And before anyone questions if I’m speaking facts, I have physical proof.  

• Like 1