UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Bad NEC team.

SBU gave up only 48 to #4 in the country and we gave up 62 to a bottom echelon FBS team. SBU, NH, etc. are going to wipe the grass with us.

I'm going to guess we win 2 games, 3 tops. We might be .500 in the NEC. Might.

Edited by Eli

Delaware got blasted by Rutgers and Towson by NDSU and App State popped Elon although Elon hung in there for a half. It wasn’t unexpected that we’d lose to Syracuse. But maybe now we should become accustomed to losing bad and looking bad doing it. Despite effort, the D was totally outclassed and clearly lacking in skill and speed. Tucker made them look like a bad HS team. And the Offense was offensive. Negative rushing yards? Come on. No offensive score until garbage time against the scrubs? I’m with the majority....the Gattuso experiment is over. He has to go. Sooner, rather than later. They better show some signs of life against Delaware. Two weeks to right this ship. If they lay another egg at the feet of the Hens, I’ll be inclined to save the gas and ignore them against Villanova. 

• Like 1

Some thoughts thus far in 2021. In no way do I want to come off as an expert because I am not. Playing a million years ago or coaching youth football does not qualify me to be an expert. EVERY SINGLE SEASON I read the exact same crap from the same cast of characters on this board. It is literally exhausting coming to this forum, which I haven't in a while. I am not sure I have ever seen a positive comment including in 2019 when they started off badly and turned it around. I read that UA is DIII or a HS team or a bad NEC team. That is just utter horse$iena!! Or GG can't coach and our play calling is the worst etc. etc. GG is not having a great season(s) and has struggled for some time now. I am not suggesting he is doing his job. His job is to win. His days may very well be numbered. But pump the breaks people. This team probably will not be a playoff team but a good year is not out of the question....yet.

Look at out first 3 games:

NDSU - FCS National Champion 8 times. NDSU would beat Syracuse soundly. We hung with them in the first half and even had a chance to take the lead but fumbled going in on their 20 I think. Who knows what happens from there. A loss probably but it could of been a 24-17 type of game but still 0-1.

Rhode Island was a missed opportunity no question. Our D held a pretty potent offense to 16 points. They are a better team than people realize but it was a winnable game for sure. TWO BOTCHED FG attempts!!!!!! (Dropped snapped  balls) Inexcusable at this level!!!!! I was in attendance for that game and was livid when I left. Hit those two and UA wins. Those mistakes were on the coaches (special teams coach and GG) I will concede that. After the first miss and before the back up QB trots out to attempt the second FG you/coach/GG gather all 3 components together... Center, QB and kicker and basically tell them one is bad enough but dont Bing this up!! Game over 0-2.

Syracuse. Never had a chance. They were just better. I dont care that they are a doormat but they are an ACC team. They were bigger, stronger, faster and better athletes than we are. The OLine were overmatched. End of story. We played horribly on both sides of the ball no doubt. If we played our best game its still a loss. For those of you who actually believe that Syracuse's second and third strings are scrubs you really dont know a thing about football players. Their second and third stringers would start at almost 95% of all CAA schools. Get a grip. They are outstanding players and most them are on full rides. Dont insult the Syracuse players by calling them scrubs. Garbage time counts...dont forget it. Our second teamers and third teamers deserve our respect.

The OLine is a disaster. Needs to be fixed and fast or it will be over. Thats always the case. They are the main problem no question. Fix that and it turns around. If JUC is unhappy and fighting with coaches then let him transfer. You see how well that has  worked out for others in the past....Dev Holmes anyone? JUC may lose his spot to #12 anyway (Carino I think his name is...I love the way this kid plays) I would rotate him and JUC the entire  season in anticipation of losing JUC. JUC has impressed me this year with some of his throws but others not so much. Yes getting sacked like 20 times in 3 games will do that to you but when given time he has been ok. The only player I really fear losing would be the DE #96 he is the real deal!!! The rest can be replaced. Next man up. Its not like we have any game changers on either side of the ball except for #96.

The schedule going forward is favorable. You will find out that Rhody is far better than you realize and Delaware is beatable. A win next week turns this around. Maine, NH, Towson Villanova etc. are all winnable games if we get things fixed. Turnover/penalties are killing us and this is related to coaching. The coaches no question need to step up their game but so do the players. 

Pump the brakes people. Plenty of time to panic later.

24 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

Some thoughts thus far in 2021. In no way do I want to come off as an expert because I am not. Playing a million years ago or coaching youth football does not qualify me to be an expert. EVERY SINGLE SEASON I read the exact same crap from the same cast of characters on this board. It is literally exhausting coming to this forum, which I haven't in a while. I am not sure I have ever seen a positive comment including in 2019 when they started off badly and turned it around. I read that UA is DIII or a HS team or a bad NEC team. That is just utter horse$iena!! Or GG can't coach and our play calling is the worst etc. etc. GG is not having a great season(s) and has struggled for some time now. I am not suggesting he is doing his job. His job is to win. His days may very well be numbered. But pump the breaks people. This team probably will not be a playoff team but a good year is not out of the question....yet.

NDSU - FCS National Champion 8 times. NDSU would beat Syracuse soundly. We hung with them in the first half and even had a chance to take the lead but fumbled going in on their 20 I think. Who knows what happens from there. A loss probably but it could of been a 24-17 type of game but still 0-1.

Rhode Island was a missed opportunity no question. Our D held a pretty potent offense to 16 points. They are a better team than people realize but it was a winnable game for sure. TWO BOTCHED FG attempts!!!!!! (Dropped snapped  balls) Inexcusable at this level!!!!! I was in attendance for that game and was livid when I left. Hit those two and UA wins. Those mistakes were on the coaches (special teams coach and GG) I will concede that. After the first miss and before the back up QB trots out to attempt the second FG you/coach/GG gather all 3 components together... Center, QB and kicker and basically tell them one is bad enough but dont Bing this up!! Game over 0-2.

Syracuse. Never had a chance. They were just better. I dont care that they are a doormat but they are an ACC team. They were bigger, stronger, faster and better athletes than we are. The OLine were overmatched. End of story. We played horribly on both sides of the ball no doubt. If we played our best game its still a loss. For those of you who actually believe that Syracuse's second and third strings are scrubs you really dont know a thing about football players. Their second and third stringers would start at almost 95% of all CAA schools. Get a grip. They are outstanding players and most them are on full rides. Dont insult the Syracuse players by calling them scrubs. Garbage time counts...dont forget it. Our second teamers and third teamers deserve our respect.

The OLine is a disaster. Needs to be fixed and fast or it will be over. Thats always the case. They are the main problem no question. Fix that and it turns around. If JUC is unhappy and fighting with coaches then let him transfer. You see how well that has  worked out for others in the past....Dev Holmes anyone? JUC may lose his spot to #12 anyway (Carino I think his name is...I love the way this kid plays) I would rotate him and JUC the entire  season in anticipation of losing JUC. JUC has impressed me this year with some of his throws but others not so much. Yes getting sacked like 20 times in 3 games will do that to you but when given time he has been ok. The only player I really fear losing would be the DE #96 he is the real deal!!! The rest can be replaced. Next man up. Its not like we have any game changers on either side of the ball except for #96.

The schedule going forward is favorable. You will find out that Rhody is far better than you realize and Delaware is beatable. A win next week turns this around. Maine, NH, Towson Villanova etc. are all winnable games if we get things fixed. Turnover/penalties are killing us and this is related to coaching. The coaches no question need to step up their game but so do the players. 

I think you made "us cast of character types" case for us. Six losses in a row. Last 5 years with his own hand picked recruits, 17-25. "Winnable" games that are lost by penalties or poor execution. It's a broken record. HE'S HAD 8 YEARS TO BUILD THE PROGRAM. There should be an upward arc. It's not there. Constant problems with the O Line. Tied for most points ever in the first half by a Syracuse team. Let's revisit this post at the end of the season to see if you were right. Crow for Thanksgiving?

• Like 3

What is the difference between ACC Teams and CAA/America East Teams? Facilities....forget the Carrier Dome....go up to where Manley Field House still stands however surrounded by athletic training facilities....In the last 10 years SU built at least 4 large scale training facilities including the ice rink by Skytop parking for women's ice hockey ... UAlbany can never match the outlay of money in 100 years.

MRuler 79: Thanks for your master thesis however in the end UAlbany is going 0 - 11 perhaps  1 -10   further the Rhode Island is a bell weather game of our season to come not a missed opportunity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRuler 79 said:

With all due respect, you know who I am and I have never, ever come out like this.  So with respect to you, focus on the numbers.  Literally go look at my other post about our records, etc.  you will be shocked.  

it’s taken me 8 years, but I’ve seen enough. 

and all due respect, I’m entitled that opinion.  Right now this is a bad football team. 

I will not be reading this in November or eating crow. I will be done after today with this forum after many years.  

3 hours ago, cwdickens said:

I just thought some of the comments made were classless by grown men about kids that play for the school. Whether they win 8 in a row or lose 8 in a row  is irrelevant.  "My thesis" was designed to shed some positive light on another possibly lost season. It is a difficult concept to grasp for some on this board. The season has not ended yet who knows what happens. In 2019 everyone threw the kids under the bus in until they turned it around.  It is clear you "cast of characters" love to insult the kids that play for the school. I understand your stellar analysis about GG but your angry uninformed commentary about kids who play for Syracuse and Albany prove you really are uninformed. Dane 96  I know you from the forum and although we have never met in person I am not concerned with the numbers or statistics as I am not pleading a case to defend GG. I just thought it was inappropriate for those on the board to continue to bad mouth the players. In another month they will be bad mouthing the basketball players. They insult young men who are trying their best. I have not said GG has done a good job after 8 years. He will go and someone new will come in and they will attack the new guy as well.  Thanks for the memories. 

While I understand the above post I would mildly disagree. These are either amatuer (kids) or adults that want to be paid for their image and likeness.  Can't have it both ways. At 18 you are an adult, and should be treated as such.  If you "suck" , then you should be told that. 

Now I'm not advocating threats or things of that nature but if an "adult" does not live up to expectations I do believe a person should have the right to state as such. 

3 hours ago, UA1882 said:

While I understand the above post I would mildly disagree. These are either amatuer (kids) or adults that want to be paid for their image and likeness.  Can't have it both ways. At 18 you are an adult, and should be treated as such.  If you "suck" , then you should be told that. 

Now I'm not advocating threats or things of that nature but if an "adult" does not live up to expectations I do believe a person should have the right to state as such. 

This is more or less the line I come down on. These are ALSO grown men, believe it or not. Maybe not in the sense that they can take care of a family, etc. (even though some do) but they sure as hell should be able to 'face the music' as far as criticism of their football ability goes. At age 18 in generations past, people that age were dying on battlefields around the world. You're telling me in 2021 a D1 football player can't take a mean comment on BPF or a mean tweet with a grain of in-the-moment-salt? Come on. If you can't take a fan or a coach telling you that you suck, perhaps you shouldn't be playing D1 sports? Go play rec. league at your local YMCA. Also, how many times have we heard that players use this type of negativity to fuel them? It's the underdog story or what not. So if a player can't be driven to be better or to prove people wrong...again, perhaps they shouldn't be in D1 sports?

That being said, I don't think any of these posts from any of the posters are directed at the players personally (their character, their families, their physical beings, etc.). They ARE absolutely directed at their football talent, which is fair game IMO. I'm sure they are all great young men with bright futures....outside of football. D1 sports/football is a product. Fans are paying customers and just like customers on Amazon.com, they are allowed to make product reviews whether you like their tone or not.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

We can whine about trash talking players or coaches or whoever but the stats don't lie. After 3 games, we are at the bottom of the league in the vast majority of categories and dead last in a huge many of them. Most of these teams have also played upper echelon FBS or FCS teams so it's pretty apples to apples if you ask me.

2021-09-19-19-04-45-UAlbany-CAA-Stats-Co

MRuler79. Who is insulting kids? Pointing out poor performance or execution is observation. I’m sure no one felt worse than the holder who booted those two FG snaps in the URI game. You think he didn’t hear about it from the coaches? Most of these starters are on scholarship. Yes, they are being paid to perform. The coaches are paid to train, coach and prepare the players to succeed in a game. When they fail to perform, who do you blame? The player? The coach? The team as a whole? The schemes? We’ve had some fine players over the last 8 years. But there’s been more misses than hits. Probably the best OLine was the one Ford recruited that matured under GG. And as far as insulting players by calling them “scrubs”, it’s a fairly common term for backups at the end of games. It doesn’t diminish them. The end of blowouts is when all the players who toil in practice get a chance to make their parents cheer with meaning. But, they are less talented, the defense is not at all intense and scores are made. They call it garbage time for a reason. And if your offense can only score a TD in garbage time you have failed to perform the rest of the game. The body of evidence is in on GG. This program is floundering. Having said that, if it turns around and we wind up 8-3, 7-4? Is it real and an indication of turning a corner? It REALLY looked like UA was turning a corner in 2019...but it turned out to be a dead end. Elite programs like JMU are excellent every year. Good programs perform well in most years, have the occasional down year and reload and get back on track. Programs that underperform except for a random good year amongst the debris? They’re floundering. 

• Like 3