UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany 2022 Men's Lacrosse Season

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

Definitely some confusion here and typical UA communication screw-up. I am a season ticket holder in football, basketball, & LACROSSE. I did NOT get this email and would not know about this event, if it was not posted here by CW. So I thank him.

ps. does anyone KNOW who sent the email; so I can let them know I {and probably others} was missed??

Same here. I wouldnt have look in spam without the heads up. Mine came from noreplygreatdabestickets@ticketreturn.com

Not sure why it didn't come thru regular inbox

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Sometimes you can be more HUF and BUF, then HOF2013.....  the number of people who have show up for all the Zoom calls in 2021 for basketball and football have been so disappointing....if everyone who visits this website show up,  the number would not fill a thimble

Exactly, I think if you were interested in showing up you would certainly be considered friends of Albany lacrosse. 

I have been going to lacrosse games for at least 20 years. I have not had season tickets for 20 years🙂

On 2/7/2022 at 12:29 PM, bob87 said:

Exactly, I think if you were interested in showing up you would certainly be considered friends of Albany lacrosse. 

I have been going to lacrosse games for at least 20 years. I have not had season tickets for 20 years🙂

Bob I am sorry but this is a red herring argument.  The invite was from the coaching staff and to Season Ticket holders.  Spend the few extra bucks and get a season ticket if you want to get the simple extra perks.   Like or not this was invite only and for that specific group of fans.  Other perks offered to season ticket holders - PAY and donate and get parking next to the SEFCU arena.  That's just the way it is.   

3 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Bob I am sorry but this is a red herring argument.  The invite was from the coaching staff and to Season Ticket holders.  Spend the few extra bucks and get a season ticket if you want to get the simple extra perks.   Like or not this was invite only and for that specific group of fans.  Other perks offered to season ticket holders - PAY and donate and get parking next to the SEFCU arena.  That's just the way it is.   

I have had season tickets for a number of years and did not get that original email invite. I am glad someone mentioned it. Also at the time I started going to games they didn't really offer season tickets 

Also I was invited for a similar event for UCLA baseball next week. I do  not have season tickets for them. I am only on their email list. Looks like they are using the event to grow their fanbase  

Edited by bob87

I should probably be smarter and stay out of yet another ridiculous forum argument, but, the e-mail I just received said it was for lax friends and season ticket holders.  

I have a conflict tonight and cannot get on the zoom, at least not in the first 45 minutes, so, I'd appreciate a recap, or, if it is archived, a link to the archive.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I attended the zoom. Not sure if archived, and if so, no idea how to access? But I will recap a couple of things that stood out to me.

Scott has been trying for years to play Army [home/home or even just going there] with NO luck.  Cannot figure why they won't play UA it would be a natural fit for both. He is good friends with the coach, but has given up trying to get something going.

Still thinks the defense is ahead of the offense and like a comment he made in the TU, feels with no real stud it could be a more balanced attack; with perhaps a new "stud" every game. When pressed on who especially looking good he named several kids. {Don't know if it was an oversight, but he did not mention Corey Yunker, which was curious because I did not see Corey at the Colgate scrimmage and i think he would be our top returning points player??} 

Speaking of "oversights" he mentioned Tommy Heller as the number one goalie at this point; but being pushed by a freshman and transfer ( who were the two who played in the Colgate scrimmage.) Heller will see significant minutes @ Brown this weekend. Curious that Will Ramos was not mentioned at all?? Scott did say he feels we have good depth at goal.

Anyhow Ramos & Yunker still listed on roster {injury or transferred????} Anyone KNOW status of either?

Saw Bob87 on the zoom; perhaps he can add to this. Plus a separate zoom for past players going on after we finished. If any past players use this blog perhaps they can/will add to this recap.

Edited by dslyank

To add to above

Team hasn't been outside yet. Have been in the indoor facility. Everyone is excited for 55° prediction for Saturday and being outsude for the game. Hoping weather holds here next week and practice moves outside. Fallon is now cleared of snow and ice. 

Coach was asked about toughest games on this year schedule. Mentioned beyond the obvious non conference games, Vermont was tough and important due to the need to overcome them to win a regular season title and or the conference tournament.

Coach also was asked about teams we haven't scheduled that he would like to schedule if he coud for future seasons. North Carolina who we played in the NCAA tournament and Denver who we last played in the regular season more than a decade ago was mentioned there. 

Coach was asked about Stony Brook not being eligible. Said not good for the players and that in current environment likely there will be more teams moving conferences in the near future. 

• Like 1

I enjoy the sport and go to a couple of games a year. However I have question and an issue that holds me back from really liking the sport and I would like the opinion of the experts. 

I hate the fact that the same guy gets the take every Faceoff. That's like Greg Maddux being able to pitch every inning of every game.  I know they instituted a shot clock but I believe the face off position is too important. If you have 1 really good guy you get 75 percent of the possessions or more . 

Wouldn't it be better to have to rotate the faceoff. For example one player can only take 1 out of every 4 faceoffs. That means you need several good faceoff guys like a baseball team needs several good starting pitchers.  Bottom line is that it seems like 1 player has wayyyy to much power and can control the game.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I enjoy the sport and go to a couple of games a year. However I have question and an issue that holds me back from really liking the sport and I would like the opinion of the experts. 

I hate the fact that the same guy gets the take every Faceoff. That's like Greg Maddux being able to pitch every inning of every game.  I know they instituted a shot clock but I believe the face off position is too important. If you have 1 really good guy you get 75 percent of the possessions or more . 

Wouldn't it be better to have to rotate the faceoff. For example one player can only take 1 out of every 4 faceoffs. That means you need several good faceoff guys like a baseball team needs several good starting pitchers.  Bottom line is that it seems like 1 player has wayyyy to much power and can control the game.  

I've often wondered the exact same thing!

16 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I hate the fact that the same guy gets the take every Faceoff. That's like Greg Maddux being able to pitch every inning of every game

While I agree with you 100% and would like to see the face-off not be such a dominant position; but it is not much different than a football quarterback being allowed to play every single offensive down. That being said, Scott in his zoom addressed the new face-off rule which begins its second year. All new NCAA lacrosse rules have a two year trial period. Scott said the new rule was suppose to have a part II which HE favored but was voted down. Part II said the wings would be moved closer to the X and the face-off guy had to pass the ball to the wings; i.e could NOT just snatch and run. Part II will be voted on again after this season; but Scott does not have a feel what its chances are. He feels the rule change as is (without part II) has done practically "NOTHING" to reduce the role of the dominant face-off person. Everyone just adapted to the new grip and standup requirement and basically the good/great face-off guys and the average f/o guys really ALL just stayed the SAME.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the updates. I don't know the status of Ramos, but I would have bet the ranch he would be the starter. He is still on the roster, but who knows if he is one of the guys who is injured. Curious to hear Yunker not mentioned.

I got a quick report from Brown today from a friend who was there. Sounded like Danes got off to a fast start and then the offense went into hibernation the rest of the day. No idea who played and how much such take that with a grain of salt.

Colgate lost a heartbreaker to a decent High Point team so that is a decent point of reference. 

For what it's worth? Vermont lost at home to Utah (first home loss since 2019 I guess.) With Penn State. a very good Bryant and from what I hear an Improving Brown, their next , Vt could be 0-5 before they play two week teams Dartmouth  & then  Providence. I do not know what this means; or even if they will start 0 & 5. But maybe they are not as good as some think.

A UA win Saturday @ Cornell will certainly vault UA above vt and probably into the top 20. A lot of IFs I guess. Nevertheless, a win Saturday will go a long way in telling about UA LAX 2022.  Not sure a close showing would be too revealing?

ps. An historically bad Jacksonville team beat Duke today (a team vt lost 8-15.)  O well, Let the Rodeo begin.

Edited by dslyank

AS predicted vt out of top 20 and a slot behind UA in also getting votes. And it looks like another tuff year for lcc? Gleason in TU, said last year 0-8 misleading after most loses by 1 or 2 goals. After being doubled up (7-14) by LIU (new to D1 lax); I wonder if Gleason and the rest of the UA alumni coaching staff are having second guesses about their crosstown move.

I know it is early too make posts like this and the one above; but I'm just anxious for UA to get going for real and to have something to really blog about.

Anyone, know or hear anything else about the scrimmage @ Brown??

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

AS predicted vt out of top 20 and a slot behind UA in also getting votes. And it looks like another tuff year for lcc? Gleason in TU, said last year 0-8 misleading after most loses by 1 or 2 goals. After being doubled up (7-14) by LIU (new to D1 lax); I wonder if Gleason and the rest of the UA alumni coaching staff are having second guesses about their crosstown move.

I know it is early too make posts like this and the one above; but I'm just anxious for UA to get going for real and to have something to really blog about.

Anyone, know or hear anything else about the scrimmage @ Brown??

No reports from Brown beyond what I was told by a Brown parent, that Albany came out fast and then the offense sputtered the rest of the way. Similar to the defense. He didn't know our roster to know who was playing when and how much so that color isn't very useful.