UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I think everyone, including the coaches are happy that season is over. As far a defense getting worse.  Don't necessarily COMPLETELY agree.  Played very well against Yale and Penn [except for 4th Q against Penn].   VT has beaten us 7 or 8 in a row.  That creates a mental issue for a team, especially playing at their home.  Just saying. 

My main bitch is leaving Sr.  Close D LP in even though it is OBVIOUS they can not move laterally and can not slide and are slow [unnamed 'leader"].   Going forward  I think D coach needs to start working on more Man and at least CHALLENGING at close quarters rather than this 3 - 5 feet.  Many teams have been firing away from 10 -15 yards because of that.  They have tightened up on coming around the corner near the goal but what good is that when they do NOT Challenge guys with the ball in front of the net??  That partly depends on talent, which goes to recruiting but also goes to coaching - staying to far from the competing attack players [our close def is just too slow].

By the way how do these other schools get Sr and Grad transfers and we do not?  Maybe Rhetorical but..................  VT had how many, Binghamton had how many?   Rutgers who is ranked top 3 had 8 or 9 Seniors who transferred in.  I have a good friend who is a Rutgers grad and was excited about that - I guess it worked for them too..........

We need some big FAST - at least laterally - Long stick close D guys...................won't solve all the issues but will help.

I think Marr does an excellent job with what he has.  COACH if you are reading this, you have enough ATTACK, seems that is always the focus.  Get some long stick two-way middies and big laterally fast and quick reacting close D........  Other teams in the league seem to get them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I think everyone, including the coaches are happy that season is over. As far a defense getting worse.  Don't necessarily COMPLETELY agree.  Played very well against Yale and Penn [except for 4th Q against Penn].   VT has beaten us 7 or 8 in a row.  That creates a mental issue for a team, especially playing at their home.  Just saying. 

My main bitch is leaving Sr.  Close D LP in even though it is OBVIOUS they can not move laterally and can not slide and are slow [unnamed 'leader"].   Going forward  I think D coach needs to start working on more Man and at least CHALLENGING at close quarters rather than this 3 - 5 feet.  Many teams have been firing away from 10 -15 yards because of that.  They have tightened up on coming around the corner near the goal but what good is that when they do NOT Challenge guys with the ball in front of the net??  That partly depends on talent, which goes to recruiting but also goes to coaching - staying to far from the competing attack players [our close def is just too slow].

By the way how do these other schools get Sr and Grad transfers and we do not?  Maybe Rhetorical but..................  VT had how many, Binghamton had how many?   Rutgers who is ranked top 3 had 8 or 9 Seniors who transferred in.  I have a good friend who is a Rutgers grad and was excited about that - I guess it worked for them too..........

We need some big FAST - at least laterally - Long stick close D guys...................won't solve all the issues but will help.

I think Marr does an excellent job with what he has.  COACH if you are reading this, you have enough ATTACK, seems that is always the focus.  Get some long stick two-way middies and big laterally fast and quick reacting close D........  Other teams in the league seem to get them.

Great post. I wish I knew what the root cause was for the defensive breakdowns. If it were me, I would have said we are going to cover your six guys with our six guys and if you beat us great. From my distant vantage point it seemed like they were lost, and when you are creating offense for your opponent that is usually more about being confused than being physically beaten.

• Like 1

I haven't been following LAX, as I am definitely a fair weather fan of the sport at best, but what happened here? A decade at the top of the league, top 10 or top 25 rankings, with legitimate shots at a national championship then dropping to middle of the AE, and not making the tournament a few years in a row?

Did the league get better? Did other big conference schools jumping into the Lax world hurt?

I'm curious if these last 2 down years are the new normal or if it's just a bump in the road?

Edited by godanesgo99

4 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Did the league get better? Did other big conference schools jumping into the Lax world hurt?

AmEast has NOT gotten better. In fact the league as a whole has most definitely gone down hill. Two years in a row AmEast has a playin game and/or facing #1 seed. Historically AmEast has been in the 8-10 seed range & has had two entries a number of times.  VT two years in a row in tournament and have not beaten a top 5 and pretty sure only 1 or 2 wins vs 6-20. 
Question 2 “probably yes”; but then how do we account for only 1 ACC in this year when usually 4 to 5 make it EVERY YEAR? Also, how do we answer 5 no-schollie IVYs in? Basically I have no answer to your second question🧐.

18 hours ago, dslyank said:

AmEast has NOT gotten better. In fact the league as a whole has most definitely gone down hill. Two years in a row AmEast has a playin game and/or facing #1 seed. Historically AmEast has been in the 8-10 seed range & has had two entries a number of times.  VT two years in a row in tournament and have not beaten a top 5 and pretty sure only 1 or 2 wins vs 6-20. 
Question 2 “probably yes”; but then how do we account for only 1 ACC in this year when usually 4 to 5 make it EVERY YEAR? Also, how do we answer 5 no-schollie IVYs in? Basically I have no answer to your second question🧐.

Not disagreeing with the point, but, only for the sake of accuracy (1) in 2021 Vermont was not a play-in team and their first round game was vs #3 Maryland and (2) there are 6 Ivies in, with 5 having home games. Turns out we played 4 of the 8 seeded teams.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, godanesgo99 said:

Did the league get better? 

If you want to use the PLL draft as a criteria toward answering this question, I'd say the league has gotten worse.  There were no AE players drafted in last night's PLL draft.

• Like 1

I used to say the difference between the best league and the second worst league was less than the difference between the second worst league and the maac. 😂

Got a data point on that last night and will get another date point when Vermont plays Maryland this weekend

On 5/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, dslyank said:

I think we have all waken up to the evolution of DI Lacrosse....after the 2018 season.... UAlbany had to face the impact of the transfer portal .... however we felt that our successes would allow us to recruit successfully ....our efforts have not led to a return appearance to the NCAA tournament .... the top one hundred players, for the most part, want to go to an Ivy Conference Team .... Big Ten Team .... and the ACC .....rest assured the ACC Teams have made a big effort to re-restock and return to prominence next year.... per Inside Lacrosse Syracuse has one of their best recruiting classes.... Big Ten and the ACC schools have the budgets  ..... Ivy Conference have a storied educational background.....and money ..... with the numbers of teams playing DI lacrosse increasing .... it appears the talent outside the top one hundred is now diluted and the competition from the Top Tier DIII schools for talent 

Edited by cwdickens
clarification
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 12:33 PM, bob87 said:

I used to say the difference between the best league and the second worst league was less than the difference between the second worst league and the maac. 😂

Got a data point on that last night and will get another date point when Vermont plays Maryland this weekend

Cats down 10-1 in the second.......I think the data is trending in not a good way. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:31 PM, cwdickens said:

I think we have all waken up to the evolution of DI Lacrosse....after the 2018 season.... UAlbany had to face the impact of the transfer portal .... however we felt that our successes would allow us to recruit successfully ....our efforts have not led to a return appearance to the NCAA tournament .... the top one hundred players, for the most part, want to go to an Ivy Conference Team .... Big Ten Team .... and the ACC .....rest assured the ACC Teams have made a big effort to re-restock and return to prominence next year.... per Inside Lacrosse Syracuse has one of their best recruiting classes.... Big Ten and the ACC schools have the budgets  ..... Ivy Conference have a storied educational background.....and money ..... with the numbers of teams playing DI lacrosse increasing .... it appears the talent outside the top one hundred is now diluted and the competition from the Top Tier DIII schools for talent 

yup, lacrosse is changing and we may never get back there, or anywhere near it, but they can never take this away:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-men-s-lacrosse-earns-first-No-1-ranking-12709083.php

Edited by classof95

29 minutes ago, classof95 said:

yup, lacrosse is changing and we may never get back there, or anywhere near it, but they can never take this away:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-men-s-lacrosse-earns-first-No-1-ranking-12709083.php

Agree .... you can never take away our achievements ..... breaking from the thread .... today's Maryland - Vermont match-up .... tune in at in 3rd period 

5e2b48ce6a2cb.gif Maryland
 (14-0)    13
5e2b48cece16c.gif Vermont
 (12-6)       2

19 hours ago, cwdickens said:

another America East Team takes a thrashing .

Just another sign how far the AmEast has/is falling?????? UA and pretty sure umbc, brook and even bingo in their  first round games over the years, never or at least mostly never took a first round "thrashing."  UA even when eliminated in second round or qtrs over the years were always competitive at least. Even semi-final loss was certainly not a total trashing.

Even this year as "bad" as UA was they did beat Cuse (even in a down year for them they are still an ACC power with a win against Duke, only one of their acc loses was by more than few goals and they came closer to anyone in the country to beating Maryland [10-14]. In UA's three IVY loses, they were in every game; and a single bad QTR in each game were basically the differences. VT did not have a single quality OCC win; with their best OCC win against Penn State (who though rated early finished out of the top 30.)  Not trying to say UA was/is better than VT this year; obviously VT had UA's number the last couple of years. But still think with UA's young attack and midfield, and with Scott making the needed Defensive improvements, UA will be back to the top of the AmEast sooner than later.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1