UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Bryant 2/8

Eli

On 2/5/2023 at 12:41 PM, Eli said:

I might just go for the amusement. 

I went to the UVM game, and I'll go to this one just so I can see the team that might represent the AE in the tournament in person. Not because I think we have any chance of winning. I've turned the corner from overly positive fan with purple and gold glasses that keeps thinking we have a chance to win, and I'm now firmly in the overly positive fan on future possibilities, but enjoying watching the ineptitude of the current iteration. If you go expecting us to lose and look forward to see what ways we can screw it up now it becomes less frustrating and more fun. Like me rooting for Jackson taking out Sullivan last game. That made it fun!

• Thanks 1

Let it all burn...let the fire cleanse this program...I doubt they win another game. We haven't been good in many years, but this is a complete disaster of epic proportions. I'll go to my grave remembering how this program was torched. There is no redemption for Mark Benson. It was the right move to move on to a new coach but his hire has been a complete disaster and Mark Benson needs to wear that. This halwift gave close to a half a million dollars a year to a guy with zero HC experience, to learn on the job. The results have been predictable. This is his legacy, Dwayne Killings and that loser Greg Gattuso...

FIRE MARK BENSON NOW! 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 3

Why would anyone think the UAlbany MBB will make defense a priority or even try to pretend they know how to play defense?

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Danes make defense priority vs. Bryant

By Abigail Rubel

ALBANY — Legendary football coach Paul “Bear” Bryant said that defense wins championships.

The University at Albany men’s basketball team will look to apply that advice in their next game against a different Bryant.

The Great Danes (6-19, 1-9 America East) host the Bryant Bulldogs (15-8, 6-4) at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Hudson Valley Community College.

“Defense is the main thing we have to focus on as a team,” senior forward Gerald Drumgoole Jr. said.

The Great Danes allow 74.8 points per game, the most in the America East. They give up 115.8 points per 100 possessions, according to Kenpom.com, 352nd of 362 Division I schools.

“Right now, going into this game, it’s like, who do we want to be? And I think there’s a lot of positive energy, guys are still working, guys are still believing, but we have to find a way to do things at a higher level, starting with our defense,” UAlbany coach Dwayne Killings said.

The Great Danes are coming off an 87-68 loss to Vermont on Saturday, their seventh in a row.

The Catamounts shot over 60 percent from the field and 46.4 percent from 3.

“A lot of buckets just come from us having mental lapses,” said fifth-year guard Sarju Patel.

“We have to stop getting beat on straight-line drives. That’s one of our biggest keys,” Drumgoole said.

Defense was also a problem in The Great Danes’ last meeting with Bryant. Fifth-year forward Antwan Walker scored a career-high 33 points, and senior guard Charles Pride matched his season high with 28 points.

Sophomore forward Aaron Reddish and junior guard Malik Edmead both sat out that game.

Edmead was dealing with a broken finger and Reddish was benched for what Killings said was failing to meet program standards. They’re both expected to play on Wednesday.

Pride, who averages 15.6 points per game, is the second-best scorer in the America East, behind teammate Sherif Gross-Bullock, a senior guard, who averages 16.4 ppg.

As a team, the Bulldogs average a conference-high 81.8 points per game, though they’re ahead of only UAlbany on defense, allowing 73.4 points per game. Junior guard Earl Timberlake is second in the conference with 8.4 rebounds per game.

NOTE: Sophomore guard Will Amica, who required season-ending hip surgery last year, said his recovery process has “been up and down, but it’s going better now.” He appeared in nine games for this season, but lingering pain from his injury means he may not come back this year. On an injury-plagued team, Amica has gotten the shortest end of the stick, playing just 71 minutes of action in three seasons. The game itself is what keeps him going. “Basketball is everything to me. Ever since I’ve been literally a baby, this has been my dream, to play Division I basketball. So that’s what keeps me motivated,” Amica said. “He’s one of the most positive people I’ve ever been around,” Killings said. Amica helps his team from the bench, pointing out defensive tendencies and trying to learn what he can. “I just take it like a sponge, I’m just trying to learn as much as I can from them off the court, so when I get back I’m well-versed in the game.”

UAlbany vs. Bryant

■› When: 7 p.m. Wednesday

■› Where: McDonough Sports Complex, Hudson Valley Community College, Troy

■› Stream: ESPN+; RADIO: WTMM 104.5 FM

▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel

Edited by cwdickens
  • Haha 1

Yes, only now, heading into game #26, do they declare that defense is really important. On at least 2 occasions this year, after losses in which they gave up 80+, our coach was quoted as saying “we were just a step slow tonight.” REALLY!!! Gee, that explains everything I guess. No explanation as to why they were a step slow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Watching game on phone and my wife asks why am I laughing, funny video?  Nope, just our Great Danes embarassing themselves again, down 12 zip and not even under the 16 TO.

Consistency. Took less than 4 minutes to fall behind double digits on Saturday as well. I think both games down 20 by 3rd media time out   . 

Terrible offense and horrific defense vs top level offense and terrible defense. I expected the scoring to be higher, but at least we got to see a few highlight reel dunks by the Bryant team. I hate their attitude and the majority of their team, but they do have some exciting players.

Edited by godanesgo99