UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game 33 / America East Championship Mar 10 (Fri) 5:00 PM Burlington, VT Patrick Gymnasium "This is March Madness"

For those of us, who chose not to take the bus to Burlington VT, there is a viewing party at City Line or if you have cable, the game is on ESPNU.

UALBANY WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Only Vermont in way of repeat for the Danes

By Abigail Rubel

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F03%2F10&id=Pc0100900&ext=.jpg&ts=20230310060924
Jim Franco / Times Union

UAlbany junior Kayla Cooper drives to the basket during the America East opener on Dec. 29, 2022, in Troy.

ALBANY — University at Albany women’s basketball coach Colleen Mullen predicted that Vermont would be the biggest barrier to the Great Danes repeating as America East champions.

With coaches unable to vote for their own teams, Mullen gave her first-place vote to the Catamounts, figuring that the pairing of Anna Olson and Emma Utterback would be potent, especially when combined with the perimeter presence of Catherine Gilwee, last season’s Rookie of the Year.

Mullen, it turned out, was correct. The No. 2 Great Danes (22-10) shared the regular-season title with the No. 1 Catamounts (24-6) and will play them for the overall championship at 5 p.m. Friday at Patrick Gymnasium in Burlington. The game will be nationally televised on ESPNU.

UAlbany beat Vermont 60-46 to kick off the conference schedule but lost 53-49 in the rematch at Vermont.

“We had a little lull in overall how we played when we had that stretch where we lost away, so I think it’s definitely going to be a good feeling to have that revenge fire,” senior forward Helene Haegerstrand said. “We’re definitely ready to play them again.”

Haegerstrand, one of UAlbany’s two all-conference first-team selections, is averaging 14.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. The other first-team pick, junior guard Kayla Cooper, leads the team with 15.2 points and 8.2 boards per game. Cooper scored 23 points in UAlbany’s semifinal win against Maine.

The Great Danes have leaned on their championship experience all season, and that goes double for the title game, which carries with it a ticket to the NCAA Tournament.

“I think the biggest thing is just to enjoy it. I think that was a big key to success at Maine (in last season’s championship game). Never did we think, ‘Oh we’re going to lose,’ or ‘Oh, we don’t know how we feel about this game.’ I think being confident is huge going up to Vermont now,” senior guard Grace Heeps said.

After losing at UAlbany, the Catamounts dropped a 58-57 decision against UMBC but haven’t lost since, winning 16 in a row to make it to their first title game since 2010.

The two early losses and a tough overtime win at Bryant were a “wake-up call,” Vermont coach Alisa Kresge said.

“When adversity hits in a game, in a run, and things like that, how are we going to handle it? Are we going to go (as) individuals, which, when that happens, you’re not going to win very often, or are we going to find a way to do it together?” Kresge said.

Vermont beat No. 8 seed Bryant 56-49 in the quarterfinal, then topped No. 4 UMBC 75-63 in the semifinal.

Olson, a junior forward, and Utterback, a senior guard, joined Haegerstrand and Cooper on the America East first team, and Vermont senior forward Delaney Richason was named to the third team along with UAlbany fifth-year guard Ellen Hahne.

Utterback leads Vermont with 13.9 points per game and averages 4.3 assists, most in the conference. Olson scores 11.8 ppg, leading the conference with a 52.3 shooting percentage, and sophomore guard Gilwee averages 10.8 ppg and is one of the top 3-point shooters in the league, hitting 39.5 percent of her shots from behind the arc.

“Having that inside-outside presence is really hard, because you’re always kind of asking yourself, do we want to try to double inside and try to take (Olson) away, and then leave shooters out on the perimeter open?” Mullen said.

UAlbany and Vermont have the two best defenses in the league. Vermont allows 53.4 points per game, UAlbany 54.9.

“Knowing who you have in front of you and how to play every player on the court’s going to be big, because we’re all going to end up on everyone at some point, so we’re going to have to help each other out and talk a lot,” Haegerstrand said.

UAlbany at Vermont

■› When: 5 p.m. Friday

■› Where: Patrick Gym, Burlington, Vt.

■› Watch: ESPNU ▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

For those of us, who chose not to take the bus to Burlington VT, there is a viewing party at City Line or if you have cable, the game is on ESPNU.

Game will also be on at Across the Street Pub, where the coaches often hang out after the game (maybe not tonight with the late hour and the snow)

Edited by UAalum72
  • Thanks 1

Well ladies, can't score 10 pts in 1st half and expect to win.  Some awful shots that aren't even close.  UVM not alot better with 17.  Have had many slow starts this season, hopefully another fast 2nd half start is on the works.

This game is crazy. Never saw one like it. All D….can’t get a shot to drop on the UA side. Reminds me of a Steelers vs Vikings SB when I went for a drive and a smoke at halftime because I was bored. Now I’ve got wine and snacks…hanging in. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

I tried.  I don't watch women's basketball, but I decided today to support the women's basketball team. That was the worse game I have ever seen.  I have seen thousands if not tens of thousands of games.  If the men's team is unwatchable,  there is not a word in the English language to describe this game. Have to call a spade a spade no matter how much it hurts.  7th and 8th grade boys would CRUSH these teams.  I can't believe how many layups are missed.  Wow, just wow. 

• Like 2

Again...you can't go down 15 in the championship game on the road and expect to win...but damn did the refs make it more difficult for UA at the end. Good effort. I gotta think UA will be in some preseason tournament. Do they get WNIT since they shared regular season title?

45 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Again...you can't go down 15 in the championship game on the road and expect to win...but damn did the refs make it more difficult for UA at the end. Good effort. I gotta think UA will be in some preseason tournament. Do they get WNIT since they shared regular season title?

yes, they get the WNIT.