UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Around the country hoops season 2023....

How lucky is UAlbany to have Meghan Huerter playing for UAlbany WBB? Damm lucky!!

CAMPUS WATCH

Jillian Huerter embraces starting role for Rutgers

By Bill Arsenault

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F01%2F10&id=Pc0130300&ext=.jpg&ts=20240110071015
Dustin Satloff/Rutgers Athletics

Rutgers freshman guard Jillian Huerter has four double figure outings and is averaging 7.1 points a game, aided by 32-for-82 from 3-point range (39 percent).

Jillian Huerter has been solid off the bench for the 6-11 Rutgers women’s basketball team, but the 6-foot freshman guard got the first start of her college career and scored 16 points in a 77-76 Big Ten Conference loss to Purdue on Jan. 2 in West Lafayette, Ind.

Huerter, from Clifton Park and a Shenendehowa High graduate, made her second start on Friday, but the Scarlet Knights ran into a buzz saw, dropping a 103-69 conference decision to No. 3-ranked Iowa before a sold-out crowd of 8,000 in Piscataway, N.J. She had seven points, two rebounds, two assists and two steals in 37 minutes of action.

The 16 points matches her season high. She had that total in a 98-67 non-league victory over La Salle on Dec. 5. She has four double-figure outings and is averaging 7.1 points a game, aided by 32-for-82 from 3-point range (39 percent).

Jillian is the third sibling to make a name for herself on the college level. Her brother Kevin was a standout at Maryland and is currently playing with the Sacramento Kings in the NBA while her junior sister Meghan is a key performer at UAlbany.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:55 AM, cwdickens said:

How lucky is UAlbany to have Meghan Huerter playing for UAlbany WBB? Damm lucky!!

CAMPUS WATCH

Jillian Huerter embraces starting role for Rutgers

By Bill Arsenault

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F01%2F10&id=Pc0130300&ext=.jpg&ts=20240110071015
Dustin Satloff/Rutgers Athletics

Rutgers freshman guard Jillian Huerter has four double figure outings and is averaging 7.1 points a game, aided by 32-for-82 from 3-point range (39 percent).

Jillian Huerter has been solid off the bench for the 6-11 Rutgers women’s basketball team, but the 6-foot freshman guard got the first start of her college career and scored 16 points in a 77-76 Big Ten Conference loss to Purdue on Jan. 2 in West Lafayette, Ind.

Huerter, from Clifton Park and a Shenendehowa High graduate, made her second start on Friday, but the Scarlet Knights ran into a buzz saw, dropping a 103-69 conference decision to No. 3-ranked Iowa before a sold-out crowd of 8,000 in Piscataway, N.J. She had seven points, two rebounds, two assists and two steals in 37 minutes of action.

The 16 points matches her season high. She had that total in a 98-67 non-league victory over La Salle on Dec. 5. She has four double-figure outings and is averaging 7.1 points a game, aided by 32-for-82 from 3-point range (39 percent).

Jillian is the third sibling to make a name for herself on the college level. Her brother Kevin was a standout at Maryland and is currently playing with the Sacramento Kings in the NBA while her junior sister Meghan is a key performer at UAlbany.

Interesting article.  Wasn't there another Huerter sibling in the past. Guess Rutgers didn't recognize his performance as key either. $iena. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

If I recall correctly, a WBB player arrived from Hoosick Falls back in the autumn of 2019, lasted one year.  I have wondered time from time where she ended up.  Cobleskill is benefitting from Logan Thayne's' talents.

From Tuesday's Times-Union:

CAMPUS WATCH

Thayne double trouble for Cobleskill foes

Hoosick Falls graduate is ranked in top 25 in Division III for season in double-doubles

By Bill Arsenault

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F01%2F23&id=Pc0071000&ext=.jpg&ts=20240123061158
Courtesy of Cobleskill Athletics/

Hoosick Falls graduate Logan Thayne (50) averages 16.6 points and 10.2 rebounds per game for Cobleskill.

Senior Logan Thayne has nine double-doubles for the Cobleskill women’s basketball team, which stands tied for 25th place on the Division III statistics list. Another would move her up to being tied for 16th.

The 6-foot-2 center/forward from Hoosick Falls and a Hoosick Falls High graduate just missed her 10th when she had 13 points and nine rebounds in an 84-28 nonleague victory at Pratt Institute on Saturday in Brooklyn. Not bad, considering that she played just 15 minutes in the lopsided contest.

Thayne leads the team in scoring (16.6), rebounding (10.2) and blocked shots (35). The victory against Pratt moved Cobleskill to 16-1 overall and in first place in the North Atlantic Conference with a 7-0 record.

The Fighting Tigers are also getting solid play from junior Cara Walker of Phelps at 12.4 points and 9.0 rebounds per game, junior Taylor Meacham (Berne-Knox-Westerlo) is averaging 8.8 points and has a total of 50 assists and sophomore Emily Satterday (Shaker High) is averaging 8.2 points and 9.0 rebounds.

• 3 weeks later...

At yesterday's WLAX match, a fellow blogger said "What is a person to do without any UAlbany basketball... well if you want to see 15,000+ people gather in downtown Saratoga Springs come for Chowder Fest on Saturday or stay and watch America East BB

Saturday, February 10, 2024 Women's Basketball
  Away Home Time Location Links

1:00 p.m.

Lowell, MA (Conf.) International Stream ESPN+

2:00 p.m.

Burlington, VT (Conf.) Stats International Stream ESPN+

Smithfield, RR (Conf.) International Stream ESPN+

Orono, ME (Conf.) International Stream ESPN+
Saturday, February 10, 2024 Men's Basketball
  Away Home Time Location Links

1:00 p.m.

Baltimore, MD (Conf.) International Stream ESPN+

Vestal, NY (Conf.) International Stream ESPN+

4:00 p.m.

Newark, NJ (Conf.) Stats International Stream ESPN+

7:00 p.m.

Durham, NH (Conf.) Stats International Stream ESPN+
Edited by cwdickens
update

Well, looking at this AE women’s schedule, and knowing our UA ladies have this weekend off, we might turn our attention to possible upsets of Vermont and Maine. UMBC at Vt. and N.H. at Maine. Probably not going to happen. But, in light of recent upsets of both men’s and women’s Vermont teams, there might be hope?! I will check in on the Maine game just to see if Anne Simon returns from her ankle injury. Here’s hoping for more surprises!

BTW, if anyone should have an injury update, or any info on Meghan Huerter, please post it. Thanking you in advance.

NJIT MBB lead UMass-Lowell MBB by 14 points at the half, which confirms that possibility of UAlbany MBB going winless in conference the rest of the way.  The announcers for NJIT talk about how the chemistry has come together. (verus the implosion we are witnessing with our team)

1 hour ago, tnehurley said:

Looked like Jon Iati coached UML in the 2cd half. Duquette thrown out? 

Yes, Duquette had a technical called in 1st half and the second technical came early in the 2nd half, which was off camara. 

• 2 weeks later...

A great Capital District Basketball tradition is nearing the end, a happy note on a sad story.

SAINT ROSE BASKETBALL

Knights get emotional sweep

Men, women top New Haven in home finales

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F25&id=Pc0190500&ext=.jpg&ts=20240225072626
Photos by Jim Franco/Times Union

The Saint Rose men’s basketball team poses with alumni and supporters prior to playing New Haven on Saturday.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F25&id=Pc0230600&ext=.jpg&ts=20240225072626
Photos by Jim Franco/Times Union

From left, Saint Rose athletic director Lori Anctil, Saint Rose men’s basketball coach Brian Beaury and his wife Mary Ann Beaury during a ceremony prior to the last regular-season home game in college history on Saturday.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F25&id=Pc0230700&ext=.jpg&ts=20240225072626

Saint Rose’s Tristian Jeffries drives to the basket in front of New Haven’s Keith Warren during the last regular-season home game in the college’s history.

ALBANY — When Saturday’s game was over, College of Saint Rose men’s basketball coach Brian Beaury said he didn’t know where to turn.

There were still dozens of former players and fans on the court at Nolan Gymnasium following the Golden Knights’ 83-70 victory over New Haven in the program’s final regular-season home game before the school closes at the end of this academic year.

While it was just one win in an 11-16 season, it meant much more than that to alumni who packed the tiny gym to watch the Saint Rose men and women say farewell in a doubleheader. The Saint Rose women (20-5) defeated New Haven 64-53 in the opener.

“It’s like we won the championship,” said Beaury, a 1982 graduate in his 33rd season. “Everybody’s here celebrating something, I guess, big picture that’s sort of sad. But I’d rather have said I’ve been through this and we did this together than to say we never did it. I’ve got a lot of great friends, these are guys that will be my friends for the rest of my life. I’m disappointed that it’s over, that we won’t play here any more. We’ve hopefully got a couple of games left in us and we can make a run in the playoffs. I’m certainly proud of the way our guys performed tonight.”

The Saint Rose men are almost certainly done playing at home. They’ll open the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament on the road Friday and only a slew of upsets could get them another game at Nolan Gym, with a capacity of 712. The Saint Rose women are getting a first-round bye and another home game in a March 3 quarterfinal.

As he left the court, Beaury stopped to talk with Sister Theresa Wysolmerski, known as Sister Tess, who sat in her wheelchair at the scorers’ table. Wysolmerski, a retired Saint Rose professor and ardent Golden Knights fan, handed Beaury a pocketful of small wooden hearts inscribed with the word “hope” to give to his players.

Between games, former and current players from both the men’s and women’s programs gathered on the court for group photos. Former public address announcer Jim Malone, a 1980 graduate invited back to do Saturday’s game, got choked up more than once before he got through the ceremony.

“I kept thinking my mother, who’s a graduate of the Class of ‘45, was standing behind me kicking me in the butt,” said Malone, who called games for 30 seasons. “I’ve been here since I’ve been born and it’s hard to call an end to it.”

Also in the crowd was former College of Saint Rose men’s coach Mike Long, who was the first men’s varsity coach in 1973-74.

“It’s a little bit crushing,” said Long, now head coach at Hudson Valley Community College. “Just running into so many guys that I coached back in the ’70s to guys that I coached when I came back (as an assistant) with Brian in the 2000s. I haven’t seen them in a long time and I’m trying to catch up with them a little bit and realizing this is going to be it.”

Saint Rose women’s coach Will Brown, a former Golden Knights men’s assistant, said Saturday’s scene reminded him of the crowds the Golden Knights drew when they went to three Division II Elite Eights in the 1990s.

Beaury and Brown both met their future wives at Saint Rose.

“Usually, I’m in the zone,” Brown said. “I don’t notice anything that’s going on in the gym. … Today, I didn’t sit down. I was shaking hands, hugging people, high-fiving. Almost all of the players on the men’s side the three years I was here (from 1995 to 1998) are here. It was amazing to see.”

Saint Rose senior guard Catherine Finnerty saw people tearing up, including her mother. She focused on the game to keep from becoming too emotional.

“I think it just says a lot about what we are and what everybody’s experience here was like,” Finnerty said.

Men’s freshman guard Christian Pierre-Louis, who had 23 points, said “losing was not an option” on Saturday.

“Coach told us it’s not only about us,” he said. “It’s about everybody here, all the alums, everybody who went through Saint Rose, all the families. So we won it for all of us.”

• Like 1

What a great article on a sad, emotional, and historic moment in area college basketball. Imagine, if you can, something similar happening at U-Albany, and maybe get some perspective of just what everyone at St. Rose has been going through. No basketball program, no university. I didn’t know who Jim Malone was before reading this, but he and others like him are the heart and soul of college hoops! Congratulations to both the mens and womens teams on their victory, and I’ll be rooting for both of them in post-season.

• Like 1