UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Around the country hoops season 2023....

32 minutes ago, tnehurley said:

“If this team is going to win the MAAC”……..???????

Well, it IS the lowly MAAC

6 minutes ago, Eli said:

This pleases me to no end. LCC is an after thought. 

Their men's game story was below the UA women's story in today's TU (of course they were a road game)

• Like 1

How the MBB teams stack up in the pre-conference win-loss record:

SCHOOL CONF CPCT. OVERALL PCT. STREAK
Vermont 0-0 .000 8-3 .727 L1
Maine 0-0 .000 8-4 .667 W4
UMass Lowell 0-0 .000 6-3 .667 L1
Binghamton 0-0 .000 6-4 .600 W2
New Hampshire 0-0 .000 6-4 .600 L1
UAlbany 0-0 .000 6-4 .600 L1
Bryant 0-0 .000 6-5 .545 L1
UMBC 0-0 .000 5-7 .417 L2
NJIT 0-0 .000 2-7 .222 L1
Edited by cwdickens
clarification

America East Conference

2023-24 Women's Basketball Standings

2023-24 Women's Basketball Standings
UAlbany 0-0 .000 7-2 .778 W3
Maine 0-0 .000 6-4 .600 W2
Vermont 0-0 .000 6-5 .545 L1
Bryant 0-0 .000 5-5 .500 W2
NJIT 0-0 .000 5-5 .500 L2
New Hampshire 0-0 .000 5-6 .455 L1
Binghamton 0-0 .000 2-8 .200 L6
UMBC 0-0 .000 2-8 .200 L1
UMass Lowell 0-0 .000 0-9 .000 L9
Edited by cwdickens

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like desperation has set in and the realization by their coach that he needed to recruit differently.

SIENA MEN’S BASKETBALL

For coach, building roster ‘one-year gig’

Two junior-college prospects report offers

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F12%2F22&id=Pc0130400&ext=.jpg&ts=20231222073746
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

Siena coach Carmen Maciariello said he’s exploring every avenue for players, including junior college, which has rarely produced players for the Saints.

LOUDONVILLE — In the span of three hours last Sunday, two junior college players tweeted they were offered scholarships by Siena men’s basketball.

It was notable because Siena hasn’t had a scholarship juco player for 16 years, though the Saints have come close a few times.

Whether or not Northwest Florida State guard Tajuan Simpkins or Triton College guard Dylan Williams ever sign with the Saints, their posts on X indicate Siena coach Carmen Maciariello is exploring every option in this era of unprecedented roster turnover.

“Just like transfer portal kids, one-year kids, two-year kids, I mean, now everything’s a one-year gig,” Maciariello said without specifically addressing Simpkins or Williams. “So I look at it as, if they’re a good player and they can do the work academically and they fit and their transcripts check out, then they’re a viable option.”

Siena’s current roster is struggling badly entering Friday’s 2 p.m. game at Brown (3-9) of the Ivy League. The Saints have lost four straight to fall to 2-9 and have the nation’s third-worst scoring margin at minus-19.2 points per game.

Former Siena coach Fran McCaffrey brought in a pair juco transfers, Mousse Diop and Levi Osby, when he got the job in 2005 and needed to fill the roster. Jimmy Pat-sos signed guard Jonathan Joseph in 2016, but he never attended Siena for academic reasons. Neither did guard Taelon Martin, who committed to Siena in January 2022 but de-committed two months later. Siena did have juco transfer forward Denzel Tchougang, who was a walk-on.

Despite that scant history with juco players, Maciariello said it’s an avenue worth pursuing, even with current NCAA players available in the transfer portal.

“Especially because you don’t ever know what’s going to be in the portal and you don’t want to ever kind of wait on guys to get in the portal that are rumored to be going in the portal,” Maciariello said. “Because one, even though NIL is not supposed to be involved (in recruiting under NCAA rules), guys go into the portal for other reasons than playing time.”

Maciariello said he doesn’t think it’s especially hard to get juco transfers into Siena.

“It think it depends on where they were and what courses they’ve been in,” he said.

Simpkins, from Brooklyn, is a 6-foot-5 shooting guard averaging 14.3 points per game and shooting 50 percent from the field, 40.5 percent from 3-point range. He’s been offered by several Division I schools, including Hofstra and Radford, according to verbalcommits.com . Williams, a 5-11 point guard from Columbia, S.C., averages 16.6 points and 6.5 assists per game. He has been offered by Fairfield and Maine, among others, according to verbalcommits.com .

With a federal judge imposing a preliminary injunction that prevents the NCAA from enforcing its transfer rules through the end of the spring, Maciariello is expecting even more roster turnover from year to year.

“I think if this litigation and the NCAA doesn’t battle this result, it could be free-market movement every year, regardless of one-time, two-time, three-time transfers,” Maciariello said. “That’s not for me to judge or think about, but obviously, we always want to be involved with good players. So no matter now where they are, whether it’s here, junior college, prep school, high school, I mean, there’s a lot more academies now, as well, guys out of high school who want to take a gap year. So many different avenues to find players. We just want to find the right ones.”

Brown, Friday’s opponent, is led by junior guard Kino Lilly Jr., who averages 18.8 points per game. He’ll be honored before Friday’s game in Providence for scoring his 1,000th career point.

SIENA AT BROWN

When: 2 p.m. Friday

Where: Pizzitola Sports Center, Providence

TV/Radio: ESPN+, JAMZ 96.3 FM

2023-24 Men's Basketball Standings

2023-24 Men's Basketball Standings
New Hampshire 0-0 .000 8-4 .667 W2
UMass Lowell 0-0 .000 8-4 .667 W1
Vermont 0-0 .000 9-5 .643 L1
Binghamton 0-0 .000 7-5 .583 L1
Bryant 0-0 .000 8-6 .571 W2
Maine 0-0 .000 8-6 .571 L2
UAlbany 0-0 .000 8-6 .571 W1
UMBC 0-0 .000 5-9 .357 L4
NJIT 0-0 .000 3-8 .273 W1
Edited by cwdickens

4 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Not sure what others may think, but at least non-conference wise this team isn’t like last year. Much more positives. 

Absolutely, from my take of the threads, most people feel this team is leap and bounds better than last year's team.  Is it better coaching or recruiting.... my take recruitment .... a blend of players who like and are capable of the run and gun game.  This the up tempo game that Killings promised three years ago.

8 hours ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Not sure what others may think, but at least non-conference wise this team isn’t like last year. Much more positives. 

There is promise here and it hasn't been a dumpster fire like last year. Still a young team. 247 ranged by age with 1 being the oldest. Something to build on here for sure...

• Like 1

At some point, $iena will wake up and send this ship to the scrap yard:

SIENA MEN’S BASKETBALL

Saints seek to steady the ship

By Mark Singelais

ALBANY — After his team was trounced by Fairfield on Friday night, Siena men’s basketball coach Carmen Maciariello found his thoughts drifting to Tucson, Ariz., to explain the Saints’ latest blowout loss.

Arizona crushed Colorado by 47 points in a Pac-12 game the night before, Maciariello pointed out, trying to add context to his own team’s 93-69 loss to the Stags in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matchup in front of 4,931 fans at MVP Arena.

“No, I mean, you’ll see scores all over the country that are one team’s high one day and low the next,” Maciariello said. “I think that’s college basketball. I think you can look at (Thursday) night with Arizona and Colorado. I mean, some scores get crazy.”

That’s happened a lot to Siena this season. The Saints have lost seven games by 20 or more points, including their past two MAAC games.

Maciariello didn’t back off his opinion offered last week that Siena has “all the makings of a team that can win a championship.”

The Saints lost their seventh straight to fall to 2-12 overall, 1-2 in the MAAC with 17 league games left.

“At the end of the day, it’s about being consistent and the MAAC’s a wide-open league,” Maciariello said Friday. “I haven’t looked at the (other) scores tonight, but any given night, anybody can beat anybody. That’s what it is. We just have to make sure what our part is and what we have to do.”

The Saints still have a lot of work to do. Fairfield shot 70.6 percent in the second half and senior guard Brycen Goodine came off the bench to score a career-high 40 points, the most in a regulation game by a Division I player this season.

“We just had to be better defensively today,” redshirt sophomore center Giovanni Emejuru said. “We had no pride, essentially. That’s what it came down to.”

Siena started well enough. The Saints led 20-13 and were still ahead 24-21 with 5:49 left in the first half. That’s when Fairfield went on a17-0 run that began with the first of Goodine’s eight 3-pointers.

“I’m trying to put a finger on it,” Maciariello said. “We’re up seven, 10 minutes to go in (the first half), and I don’t know if we relax. … We have to make sure we understand how hard we have to play all the time. We can’t be inconsistent. We have too many inconsistent guys and right now, that’s hurting us.”

Offensively, Siena received only five bench points. The Saints continue to rely heavily on the trio of Emejuru, who had 22 points, red-shirt junior guard Sean Durugordon (20 points) and sophomore guard Michael Eley, held to eight points after scoring 30 against UMass.

“We have to understand teams are going to continually try to speed us up to take us out of offense,” Maciariello said. “It’s not like they (Fairfield) are a great pressing team… The ball has to move. Guys have to understand where the ball has to go.”

The Saints seemed encouraged after last week’s 79-66 loss at UMass, a game Siena trailed by six with less than five minutes left. But Friday, Maciariello told his team that game was “fool’s gold” because UMass didn’t respect Siena and was exhausted after returning from a tournament in Hawaii.

Emejuru was asked if Siena had too high an opinion of itself after the UMass game.

“If we did, we had no reason to because we lost that game,” he said. “At the end of the day, it comes down to us being more mentally mature and being able to understand that, OK, there were good spurts in that game, but we still lost and its about having that mentality of, OK, we lost but we have to fight and be better from that game.”

The situation doesn’t get easier for Siena, which travels to western New York to face Canisius and Niagara next weekend. The Saints have swept that trip only once (2016) since the 2007-08 season.

“After being in this many games, that’s what it’s come down to now, is having pride and stopping the guy in front of us,” Emejuru said.