UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #6 - Albany at LCC (5PM Sunday)

11 hours ago, haggyland said:

This post will serve as today's reminder that the UAlbany men's basketball team recently just beat the snot out of the Siena team. 

The best reminder was yesterday's article in the Times Union:

SIENA MEN’S BASKETBALL

No ‘magic potion’ after Cup blowout

Saints coach never part of rout like that

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F28&id=Pc0060400&ext=.jpg&ts=20231128060912
Olivia Witkowski/Siena athletics

Siena men’s basketball coach Carmen Maciariello said he didn’t sense urgency from his team in Sunday’s 86-51 loss to UAlbany.

ALBANY — The Siena men’s basketball program has lost 11 of its past 12 games dating to last season.

Sunday night was the low point. The Saints were embarrassed on their home floor in an 86-51 loss to crosstown rival University at Albany for the Albany Cup.

Siena coach Carmen Maciariello said he’d never been part of a defeat like that one, the most lopsided in the rivalry’s Division I era.

“I didn’t see an urgent team,” Maciariello said. “I didn’t see a team that was trying to win something. I didn’t see a team that wanted to compete for a MAAC title. I didn’t see a bunch of hungry guys that they would do anything it took to win the basketball game. I think we’ve got a bunch of nice guys. That doesn’t win championships.”

Siena (1-5) opens Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play on Friday against league favorite Rider (1-4) at MVP Arena.

The loss showed regression for a young team that appeared to be coming around in competitive losses to Central Michigan and Milwaukee in the Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach, Fla., a week earlier. The Saints even got back injured guards Michael Eley and Zek Te-kin for the UAlbany game.

“We show glimpses against Central Michigan and glimpses against Milwaukee, and we think it’s just a magic potion that’s going to be able to all of a sudden show up when you want?” Maciariello said. “It’s not how this thing works. It’s not how life works. You have to earn it every single day. So like I said, I apologize to our fans. But like I said, credit to Albany.”

The 35-point defeat didn’t sit well with red-shirt sophomore forward Giovanni Emejuru, the Sam Houston State transfer who had six points and four rebounds in 23 minutes in his first Albany Cup experience.

“Just not good enough,” he said. “It’s not acceptable in any way, shape or form that we just didn’t come out to perform today.”

After the two-point loss to Milwaukee, Maciariello responded to fan criticism of his recruiting philosophy, calling it “garbage” in a postgame radio interview.

He elaborated on Friday, two days before the Albany Cup loss.

“I try to make sure our fans understand how we do our job and how we build rosters,” Maciariello said. “Obviously, injuries happen no matter what. Also, you want to have a locker room that’s unified. If you have too many guys that play the same position, now you’re not creating a chemistry and love for one another in the locker room when you’ve got guys thinking they’re better than this guy or better than that guy. For us, I don’t really get concerned with that, but I wanted to help give a lens from a coach.”

There’s no more help coming, unless redshirt junior transfer guard Sean Durugordon wins his appeal for an NCAA waiver to play right away. The Saints will have to improve from within with four freshmen and five sophomores in their rotation. Maciariello talked about simplifying things for his team.

“I know they want to win,” he said. “Now it’s how are we getting there. How are we making sure we’re ready to play.”