UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #6 - Albany at LCC (5PM Sunday)

30 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Considering what it took to get this current three deal, the possibility of a pause in playing each other is real.

Are they talking about moving back to their campus arena, dropping down to the northeast 10 with St Rose, and /or firing their coach 

22 minutes ago, bob87 said:

Saw on Twitter,  that LCC is 355 out of 362 in the power rankings (Pomeroy) and are underdogs in every one of their remaining games.  I always like to say that they are the worst team on our schedule.  I appreciate it when they make that literally true. 

Bob...if it lasts for more then 4 hours...call a doctor. I got mine on speed dial...haha. 

Can of gas didn't even come out today. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Bob...if it lasts for more then 4 hours...call a doctor. I got mine on speed dial...haha. 

Can of gas didn't even come out today. 

😀

What fun is there in sports if you can't enjoy a game like that. Most games have been tough the last few years and even being away I am enjoying seeing awesome stats from this one. 😀 

Do you think any of the $iena community members will pick up a copy of the Times-Union.  Not likely...

Danes pound Saints for Cup

Marshall scores career-high 33 to pace UAlbany to 35-point win

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F11%2F27&id=Pc0190500&ext=.jpg&ts=20231127073614
Lori Van Buren/Times Union

UAlbany’s Amar’e Marshall dunks against Siena’s Zek Tekin during the Albany Cup game at MVP Arena in Albany Sunday. Marshall led all scorers with 33 points.

ALBANY — The University at Albany men’s basketball team wasn’t about to blow another big second-half lead in the Albany Cup.

On Sunday night, the Great Danes put Siena farther and farther into their rear-view mirror en route to the biggest margin of victory in the Division I history of their rivalry.

UAlbany redshirt sophomore guard Amar’e Marshall scored a career-high 33 points to lead the Great Danes to an 86-51 romp over Siena on Sunday night before a crowd of 7,605 at MVP Arena.

“Honestly, I think it was really just overall emotional maturity,” said UAlbany sophomore guard Marcus Jackson, an Albany Academy graduate. “I think last year we got too high. I think this year we did a good job of just staying poised and staying into the game.”

Unlike last year, when the Great Danes squandered a 16-point, second-half lead to lose 75-62, UAlbany kept rolling on Sunday on its way to a 35-point victory, surpassing Siena’s 83-54 rout in 2009.

“It obviously feels really good,” said UAlbany sophomore forward Jonathan Beagle, a Hudson Falls native. “I remember how I felt last year. Going into halftime, we just came out, we knew we had to keep the pedal on the gas and keep going. We knew they’re a very talented team and they could turn it on at any time.”

Junior guard Sebastian Thomas added 14 points and Beagle had 13 points for the Great Danes (3-3).

Siena sophomore guard Michael Eley, back after missing four games with an ankle injury, led the Saints with 20 points. Siena (1-5) lost its fifth consecutive game.

“It’s not a good feeling at all,” Eley said. “I hate losing, but like Coach said, we’ve just got to get better on Wednesday when we get ready for practice and get ready for conference. This game’s over with, learn from it, but the biggest thing, I think we just need to play hard. Guys have really got to grow up and they’ve got to give it out on the floor.”

Siena head coach Carmen Maciariello credited UAlbany and said, “They kicked our butts.” Perplexed by his team’s lack of energy, Maciariello also apologized to the Saints fans, alumni and season-ticket holders.

“This is embarrassing,” Maciariello said. “We should be embarrassed.”

UAlbany used a 20-0 run that bridged the first and second halves to take a 43-23 lead with 16:49 to play. The Saints went scoreless for 8:03.

After leading 28-23 at halftime, the Great Danes outscored Siena 58-28 in the second half.

“We had a little lead, but we knew we could play a lot better than we did in the first half,” Thomas said. “It was a team thing.”

Jackson said he reminded his teammates of last year’s loss during a timeout early in the second half. He told them to stay poised and locked in on the scouting report.

UAlbany shot 70.6 percent (24-of-34) from the field in the second half. The Great Danes outrebounded Siena 45-33 and had edges of 26-1 in fast-break points and 23-6 in points off turnovers.

These teams are much different this year. UAlbany was infused with transfer talent, including Marshall from Hofstra and Thomas from Rhode Island, and Siena has a much younger roster.

Sunday’s game was supposed to be played at UAlbany’s Broadview Center before caution over arena renovations caused the venue to be switched to MVP Arena.

Homecourt advantage didn’t matter to the Great Danes, who cut Siena’s lead in the series to 11-8 since the rivalry was renewed in 2001.

“I just want to compete and play,” UAlbany head coach Dwayne Killings said. “If they said we’re going to play the game on outdoor courts on campus, so be it. Whatever. All that stuff is just distractions. … We’ll have an opportunity to host it next year. I know it’ll be electric. Obviously, they’ll have more motivation for it.”

UAlbany next plays Boston University on Wednesday in the Broad-view Center reopening. Siena opens MAAC play at home against Rider on Friday.

OK. I'll take the blunge. UA 23-24 maybe BETTER than a lot of US predicted. Maybe I'm being too optimistic too soon and hope I'm not jinxing UA:  but they can score with pretty much everyone {Atlantic 10 & Big East included & DIII lcc}; they have good offensive depth, so if a player has an off night or half, there are multiple guys who can score the rock; AND the bench has been supportive {even if not spectacular, unlike in previous years when coach goes to the bench, UA does not seem to go into huge scoring droughts, and even gets some point production from bench players.}

Now if the defense can tighten up against NON DIII lcc type teams; WEL HERE'S HOPING 🫣🤩.

Yesterday, UAlbany MBB was the perfect storm and $iena was the boat caught in the storm and saw the reputation and perhaps, their season sink to the ocean floor.  We need to repeat these efforts in every game going forward.

Let us not forget UMass - Lowell at 4-1 and UVM 5-2 (2 DIII wins).  Interesting comparison this season, as all three teams will play Dartmouth in the non-conference section of their schedule. 

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

OK. I'll take the blunge. UA 23-24 maybe BETTER than a lot of US predicted. Maybe I'm being too optimistic too soon and hope I'm not jinxing UA:  but they can score with pretty much everyone {Atlantic 10 & Big East included & DIII lcc}; they have good offensive depth, so if a player has an off night or half, there are multiple guys who can score the rock; AND the bench has been supportive {even if not spectacular, unlike in previous years when coach goes to the bench, UA does not seem to go into huge scoring droughts, and even gets some point production from bench players.}

Now if the defense can tighten up against NON DIII lcc type teams; WEL HERE'S HOPING 🫣🤩.

You will add Neely soon...maybe something cooking?