UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium: Architecture, Engineering, and Design AWARDED!

I agree with socal, what other choice do we have but get strung along again. I certainly understand the wait and see approach. Thing is, in the past it was all lip service, this time around there are signed contract. That to me is a big difference.

Keep the secrecy and keep the TU haters as well as other naysayers out of this. No sense in bringing other voices in since by all indications phase I money is in the bank. Not enough to gain by going public and unwanted scrutiny might cause headaches.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the conditions of the AED contract is that the design company will provide construction oversight as part of their responsibilities.

Granted, the current end date for the AED contract is not until 2016, and there is a chance that multiple amendments for No Cost Time Extensions could be approved, but seeing a $1.5 million approved and encumbered contract for this purpose is a sight for these sore eyes.

Would Heery have really bid that much money if they thought they were just going to be strung along? They are familiar with the site and the administrators from the concept design, so if they had reservations about the likelihood of the project being completed or severely delayed, I tend to believe that they would have backed away.

What concerns me a little right now is the $1.5 million figure for the five years. If divided across the life of the contract that comes to $300K a year, which might pay the salaries of four professional level employees. I would want to see the amounts for AED contracts for similar projects, because the UA figure doesn't have a "wow" factor to me.

So, in summation, I (like many others) still feel let down by the broken promises of the past, but here we have proof that something is happening. The AED RFQs were sent out just a couple of months after the design contract ended, so there seems to be some recent dedication to the project.

I am cautiously optimistic, and there are still many more milestones to be reached, but I am starting to believe that a new stadium might just show up in my lifetime.

Also, I'm surprised there isn't more excitement. This is what we've been asking for, proof that something is happening. Contracts are signed, proof of construction and design firm being selected etc.

I know people have been burned quite a bit but there is really something here. Color me excited!

Understand, but for someone who works in the business of RFP's...contracts, etc....nothing is solid unless shovels are in the ground. Anything can be cancelled...and it isnt a rarity for that to happen.

The only solid proof to me is shovels in the ground and an announcement from Philips.

I have been waiting and burned probably longer than any one (see post 1967 freshman @ UA). I will get excited when I see shovels in the ground. I still do not see where silence helps the cause. It is said "even bad publicity is good" and with an anouncement the "silient majority" can finally be heard. I say bring on the naysayers, lets fight it out.

Of course, I will continue to be patient and silent as most of you recommend, but I won't like it. Anyhow thanks for the updates, but sorry not excited yet.

Thanks for keeping an eye out for the info HAG.

For Hag & 96 and anyone else having a guess:

Before this design contract being awarded, what were the chances of a stadium, with the info we've had, on a scale from 1 to 10? And now after the design contract being awarded?

McElroy had said that Ford was working with the designers on the layout.

He also said shovels would be hitting the ground in April 2011.

And lastly he said the stadium opener was Fall 2012.

I don't know anything about this design/construction/bidding/contracts stuff, especially at the SUNY level,

but it seems to me there's been a handful of things pointing to an actual start to building a stadium.

I won't get excited, but I will remain hopeful. And I won't be contacting anyone again requesting information... I'll just wait and watch.

I can tell you for a fact, the latest news I heard was that we are not remotely close to dirt moving until November. This was stated about 4 days ago.

Hence, I don't believe a word that administration says anymore. Even with that timeline I heard about recently, it is still far-fetched considering it will take at least a month for the construction people to bid on whatever design was approved. Then, you have at least a month of contract negotiations. Then you have an NTP, Insurance and Bonding...then you have to prep the site...order materials...etc. You are looking at least 3-6 months from date the design is agreed to before you could even put a shovel in the ground.

Again, they have turned off so many alumni...so many that are far to young to be this cynical.

Like I said, I will believe it when I see it.

I can tell you for a fact, the latest news I heard was that we are not remotely close to dirt moving until November. This was stated about 4 days ago.

Hence, I don't believe a word that administration says anymore. Even with that timeline I heard about recently, it is still far-fetched considering it will take at least a month for the construction people to bid on whatever design was approved. Then, you have at least a month of contract negotiations. Then you have an NTP, Insurance and Bonding...then you have to prep the site...order materials...etc. You are looking at least 3-6 months from date the design is agreed to before you could even put a shovel in the ground.

Again, they have turned off so many alumni...so many that are far to young to be this cynical.

Like I said, I will believe it when I see it.

Clogh Harbor, an engineering firm in Clifton Park has secured the Albany Multi Purpose Stadium business and is beginning work. Not sure if that speeds up process or not but I imagine that is a positive.

The contract as it appears on the New York State Comptroller's website:

osccontractinformation.png

What does this mean:

(1) Design of an (i) Athletic Stadium; AND (ii) Track Improvements?

Or does the above mean (2) design of improvements for the existing Athletic Stadium and Track? The contract description can be read two ways.I would think that "design" of a "stadium" means what we think it means, but such a view is not patently explicit from the above notation.

Clogh Harbor, an engineering firm in Clifton Park has secured the Albany Multi Purpose Stadium business and is beginning work. Not sure if that speeds up process or not but I imagine that is a positive.

I looked on their website, and can't find any information on this. Where did you hear about this?

They are beginning what work exactly?

What does this mean:

(1) Design of an (i) Athletic Stadium; AND (ii) Track Improvements?

Or does the above mean (2) design of improvements for the existing Athletic Stadium and Track? The contract description can be read two ways.I would think that "design" of a "stadium" means what we think it means, but such a view is not patently explicit from the above notation.

FWIW the Office of Facilities Management Sitework map lists "Repair and upgrade track facility; relocate football facility." under a single tag, so that would tend to support choice (1).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping an eye out for the info HAG.

For Hag & 96 and anyone else having a guess:

Before this design contract being awarded, what were the chances of a stadium, with the info we've had, on a scale from 1 to 10? And now after the design contract being awarded?

Sorry for the tardiness of my reply here, but I believe I have addressed that in other threads. As for the "likelihood" of the project, D96 laid out many good points.

To interject, I should say this: I work with New York State contracts every day, but my interaction is in fiscal and systems capacities, and not in their development, so while I can tell you what you need to know about spending on a contract, or how the financial systems interact, I will gladly defer to my other colleagues when legal and technical terms are involved.

That said, I do know that the terminology in a traditional state contract is generally slanted in the state's favor, meaning that if they decide not to go through with the contract, then exiting from it is much easier for the state than the vendor....This is one of the reasons I will monitor the AED contract to see when expenditures are made against it.

There is still a part of me that is comfortable with seeing Heery International win the bid, because I am hopeful that they would not bid unless they thought the project would happen on the near future, but I will still wait to see expenses before getting too excited.

I looked on their website, and can't find any information on this. Where did you hear about this?

They are beginning what work exactly?

backdropcontract.png

As can be seen above, Clough Harbor has been approved for a "Civil Engineering Services Backdrop" contract with UA.

This is one of the situations where I will defer to one of the more legally savvy contract experts, but with no EIN listed, and an approval (and encumbrance) for $0, and a description that clearly reads "backdrop", I tend to believe the Clough Harbor has not done any business with UA regarding the stadium, and are only approved if there is a need for them in the future (to expedite the process.)

Thoughts?

Archived