Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dane Pound said:

I disagree but I would be happy to be wrong

Both High Majors and Mid Majors have hits and misses. High Major misses are going to go to MM. MM "hits" are going to go HM. I don't think that bodes well for MMs.

Not saying every good MM is going to leave but it doesn't take many to change things.

But a HM miss could = good MM player (maybe not as good as the MM that goes HM). Will Harris wasn't terrible, he just wasn't Lamb or Warney.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Eli said:

But a HM miss could = good MM player (maybe not as good as the MM that goes HM). Will Harris wasn't terrible, he just wasn't Lamb or Warney.

You're right. Hartford is a good example of that this year. I kinda think that's the exception but we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to be clear albany is not mid major.. america east and maac are considered low division one schools. I laugh when I hear people call america east mid major. Mid major is atlantic ten, caa, wac, mac , mountain west etc. high major is the power conferences sec, acc big ten, big 12 pac12. Low division one would be america east, maac and nec regionally. All the other one bid school leagues as well.

Edited by Bball2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

18 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Just to be clear albany is not mid major.. america east and maac are considered low division one schools. I laugh when I hear people call america east mid major. Mid major is atlantic ten, caa, wac, mac , mountain west etc. high major is the power conferences sec, acc big ten, big 12 pac12. Low division one would be america east, maac and nec regionally. All the other one bid school leagues as well.

I agree with you on the america east being a low major conference.  But I could not disagree with you more that Albany is not a mid major.  We won 20+ games like 4 or 5 years or in a row against division 1 teams . THATS MID MAJOR. Also your going to tell me that Vermont is not a mid major ? Please.  Any team that wins around  20 games regularly (I know we have been down the last couple) is clearly a mid major. 

There are teams inside low major conferences that are clearly mid majors . Just like there are teams in mid level conferences that are clearly low major. 

Our record since 2011-12 

11-12.  19-15

12-13. 24-10

13-14. 19-15

14-15.  24-9

15-16.  24-9

16-17. 21-14

17-18.  22-10

Since then bad.

Our rpi was constantly in the top half at least . I could make a HUGE argument that we are a mid major. 

 

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bball2020 said:

Just to be clear albany is not mid major.. america east and maac are considered low division one schools. I laugh when I hear people call america east mid major. Mid major is atlantic ten, caa, wac, mac , mountain west etc. high major is the power conferences sec, acc big ten, big 12 pac12. Low division one would be america east, maac and nec regionally. All the other one bid school leagues as well.

Tell Vermont they are a low major as they continue to finish around 75 in various rankings...But then again, we are no Vermont. Albany hasn't beaten them since 2016. That is simply mind boggling...4 years of getting your ass kicked, many games weren't even close. Four years getting smacked by a school with far worse facilities and comparable budget. 

Edited by Clickclack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Tell Vermont they are a low major as they continue to finish around 75 in various rankings...But then again, we are no Vermont. Albany hasn't beaten them since 2016. That is simply mind boggling...4 years of getting your ass kicked, many games weren't even close. Four years getting smacked by a school with far worse facilities and comparable budget. 

Just a reminder, Vermont has serious plans in place to upgrade their athletic facilities in particular a new basketball 🏀arena and ice hockey arena.  Their fan support makes this possible.  I agree it's time to field a team that can sweep UVM plus Stony Brook University in the same season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vermont is not a mid major, conferences determine what level you are in. Mid majors include atlantic ten, colonial, mountain west, conference usa, missouri valley. As a general rule to help you if a team plays in a league with only one bid to tournament, that league and all of its teams are considered low division one. As for Vermont, while the blue blood of the america east, in any season if they do not win the league championship they do not go to ncaa tournament. Not a mid major program. Having a nice team or few good seasons does not change that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Vermont is not a mid major, conferences determine what level you are in. Mid majors include atlantic ten, colonial, mountain west, conference usa, missouri valley. As a general rule to help you if a team plays in a league with only one bid to tournament, that league and all of its teams are considered low division one. As for Vermont, while the blue blood of the america east, in any season if they do not win the league championship they do not go to ncaa tournament. Not a mid major program. Having a nice team or few good seasons does not change that.

Might but the stupidest post I have ever seen . (Not only on this board but ever.) Gonzaga is a mid major program because of the conference they are in ? Wow. I thought we graduated smarter people. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, Bball2020 said:

Just to be clear albany is not mid major.. america east and maac are considered low division one schools. I laugh when I hear people call america east mid major. Mid major is atlantic ten, caa, wac, mac , mountain west etc. high major is the power conferences sec, acc big ten, big 12 pac12. Low division one would be america east, maac and nec regionally. All the other one bid school leagues as well.

Had to do this. the CAA has had multiple teams in the tournament 1 time in 12 years!!!!!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/colonial/

You said above they are a midmajor conference then your other post said they you need to have multiple teams in the dance on a regular basis . What is it ? Lol. Such a stupid post.  I could pick this apart all day . And I might . Damn lockdown! 

Edited by UA1882

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been saying it the last few days...posts are a bit crazy. lol @ Vermont not being a mid-major.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys need a jigsaw puzzle to do or something? I can offer curbside pickup. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree! Funny someone would consider a mid major a team that has to literally win there conference tournament each year to even be considered to make the ncaa. That is low division one, one bid basketball. Nothing wrong with it I actually like it more the conference tournament is great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bball2020 said:

Totally agree! Funny someone would consider a mid major a team that has to literally win there conference tournament each year to even be considered to make the ncaa. That is low division one, one bid basketball. Nothing wrong with it I actually like it more the conference tournament is great! 

Again, as someone else already told you, Gonzaga is in a one-bid league. They aren't mid-major? Hell, they could be considered lower level high major based on their success and tournament performances. Get out of here with this nonsense.

Mid-major status is mostly dependent on things like RPI, etc. Not conference affiliation/bid status. When we were at our peak during the three-peat championships, along with Vermont, we were 100% mid-major. We've dropped back the last 5 years to being low-major due to per recruiting, but that's another painful topic for another day.

EDIT: Wiki shouldn't always be trusted as absolute truth as it can be edited by virtually anyone but...

Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-major#Key_conferences

MidMajorMadness - https://www.midmajormadness.com/pages/mid-major-teams-by-conference

MidMajorMadness - https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/10/30/20940110/ncaa-tournament-2020-mid-major-team-list-predictions-but-also-promises

HeroSports - https://herosports.com/news/college-basketball-what-is-a-mid-major-definition-d1-mens-basketball

 

Edited by Eli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...