UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Anyone depressed?

I got consoled several times yesterday at work about last Friday's game. I was somewhat confused because I didn't realize I was supposed to be disappointed about it. Our 8th year in Division I and a first round loss in the NCAA tournament is supposed to be a letdown? Pretty amazing how quickly expectations have gotten out of hand.

Just wanted to check with the rest of you and make sure you're not suicidial or anything.

I got consoled several times yesterday at work about last Friday's game. I was somewhat confused because I didn't realize I was supposed to be disappointed about it. Our 8th year in Division I and a first round loss in the NCAA tournament is supposed to be a letdown? Pretty amazing how quickly expectations have gotten out of hand.

Just wanted to check with the rest of you and make sure you're not suicidial or anything.

no.....here are my recent loss of my teams and the disappointment that has ensued....

mets 2006....thanks Heilman and Wagner

chargers 2006-07 thanks marty ball

danes 06+07....

at least I had something to cheer about ...can't win them all but nice to be in mix

but the tourney this year means nothing ...but at least I can follow my brackets in hopes of $

I have been getting the same at work and at home. Nothing to be bummed about ! We are coming off back to back Conference Championships! Two 20 win seasons! Like I have said in previous posts, 3 short years ago, never in our wildest dreams would we have thought we could have achieved what we have.

2006-07 was a very successful season. Last week I was asked many times if I thought UA had a chance to win. I said "Yes". and when it did not happen I got the third degree asking "what happened?" everyone was puzzled at why I was not disconsolate.

I'm not disappointed at all, well maybe just a touch. Wish we had a better showing, but in the long run this is just a stepping stone. Also had people approach me at work since everyone knows I'm a huge Dane fan and have tons of gear in my office, with ...are you OK? Yeh, I'm great, thanks for asking! Things are looking up I hope three things happen in the off season. That our coach gets a raise and consequently stays for a few more years (any chance they rework his contract?), we parlay the media attention into some great recruits and that we increase our attendance/season ticket holders to get close to 'CUE capacity. Otherwise I'm as happy as a varenik v maslie.

. . . Otherwise I'm as happy as a varenik v maslie.

You have modest demands in life. "As happy as a dumpling in butter?"

I have to admit that I'm a little bummed out today as well. It's rained down here in South Florida this morning, and it's not a good day for the beach. (I've already put up some shields around my head to guared me from the inevitable garbage that will be tossed in my direction.) :rolleyes:

I find this to be a very interesting question. Like others, I am a huge Dane fan where most people don't even pronounce Albany correctly. I tend to talk about the Danes too much and expect others to give a damn.

I went to great lengths to get to Columbus.

So, am I disappointed? Yes and no. The fact that we had absolutely nothing to cheer for was disappointing. The game was over before the clock even started. I'd have preferred to lose a nail-biter than to go out this way, because while we've been remembered for the Connecticut showing, the glow from that performance has now been quite tarnished. Until proven otherwise we'll be just another mid-major for whom every bracket picker has low expectations.

It's not disappointment - I just wish we could start the game over again. I wish Brent Wilson had hit a couple of the early 3's.

But all in all, its a very proud time to be a Dane. I'm not disappointed. We've twice played on the national stage and we've come so far in such a short time. It was such a great year. I actually got to see many games live on the AE site - how cool is that?

What will disappoint me, though, will be if we ever agree to play LCC again after next year without restructuring the agreement. I make that trip every year and I'm quite tired of playing on their court. This needs to be a neutral site game or a home and home situation - or we're not playing anymore. Other than Niagra, how many Tournament teams do they actually get to play? They should treat us like royalty and kiss our feet just for agreeing to play them.

. . . Otherwise I'm as happy as a varenik v maslie.

You have modest demands in life. "As happy as a dumpling in butter?"

I have to admit that I'm a little bummed out today as well. It's rained down here in South Florida this morning, and it's not a good day for the beach. (I've already put up some shields around my head to guared me from the inevitable garbage that will be tossed in my direction.) :rolleyes:

Figures you'd pick up on that olddog, nice one!

LCC did play Maryland and Stanford, but I agree that the game should be at a neutral site or a home and home it is only fair.

I would be OK with neutral, I'm all against home and home. It would be a shame to lose 6000+ fans for this game, as the last two games have been awesome. The arena must be split in half, right down the middle! Siena fans will have to deal with losing their precious seats for one game.

Yeah, I'm real depressed :wacko::rolleyes::wacko:

Shouldn't we all be?????

Back to Back 20 win seasons!

Two AE Tourney Championships in a row!

First in the Conference 2006 - Second in 2007!

Our RPI has gone down steadily each of the past 4 years from around 300 down to 78!

Back to Back trips to the NCAAs!

A two time POY in Jamar!

Two first team all AE picks in the same year (Jamar & Jason) !

A Defensive POY in Lillis

Playing on National TV atleast 3 times each of the past two years!

All of this and we're still just a developing program!

OH Yeah!!!! I'm real depressed - GO Great Danes

I have been getting the same at work and at home. Nothing to be bummed about ! We are coming off back to back Conference Championships! Two 20 win seasons! Like I have said in previous posts, 3 short years ago, never in our wildest dreams would we have thought we could have achieved what we have.

2006-07 was a very successful season. Last week I was asked many times if I thought UA had a chance to win. I said "Yes". and when it did not happen I got the third degree asking "what happened?" everyone was puzzled at why I was not disconsolate.

I find this to be a very interesting question. Like others, I am a huge Dane fan where most people don't even pronounce Albany correctly. I tend to talk about the Danes too much and expect others to give a damn.

I went to great lengths to get to Columbus.

So, am I disappointed? Yes and no. The fact that we had absolutely nothing to cheer for was disappointing. The game was over before the clock even started. I'd have preferred to lose a nail-biter than to go out this way, because while we've been remembered for the Connecticut showing, the glow from that performance has now been quite tarnished. Until proven otherwise we'll be just another mid-major for whom every bracket picker has low expectations.

It's not disappointment - I just wish we could start the game over again. I wish Brent Wilson had hit a couple of the early 3's.

But all in all, its a very proud time to be a Dane. I'm not disappointed. We've twice played on the national stage and we've come so far in such a short time. It was such a great year. I actually got to see many games live on the AE site - how cool is that?

What will disappoint me, though, will be if we ever agree to play LCC again after next year without restructuring the agreement. I make that trip every year and I'm quite tired of playing on their court. This needs to be a neutral site game or a home and home situation - or we're not playing anymore. Other than Niagra, how many Tournament teams do they actually get to play? They should treat us like royalty and kiss our feet just for agreeing to play them.

I. On Scheduling LCC

Do we have to play LCC AGAIN on their home court next year? Does anyone know what our schedule will look like next Fall? I know we get Boise State at home, LCC somewhere I assume, and somebody said something about at UMASS? I'd rather not play LCC if it means we have to go to the Times Union Center all the time (though I would still attend the games of course!). It's ridiculous. Make LCC come to the SEFCU and take us to double overtime! With a home and home, though, I don't think we lose 6,000 fans (unless we make the assumption that two games at the TUC could sell 12,000 tickets each); rather, I think we gain 6,000 fans because it's one more game that we would not have played otherwise. My vote (for whatever it is worth; probably nothing) is to stop playing LCC until they play at our place.

Whether it means alternating sites each year or doing a home and home, the time for us to get the UAlbany vs. LCC game at SEFCU is now. And to have it at SEFCU once every other year (or each year with a home and home) will only BOOST season ticket sales for us! I'm sure that many people will buy season tickets at the low price that they are currently at just for seats to that game! I would.

Can you imagine playing the team from Loudenville at the SEFCU? Sold out and full with crazed UAlbany fans? I think it would be one of the loudest games yet at the SEFCU. No? LCC alum. better have their pacemakers checked before they arrive.

One more thought on LCC: Playing them over the past two years has not helped our RPI much, correct? Last I checked, we finished with a ranking of 78. That's incredible, Danes! Great job!

II. On DP's Original Question

As far as DP's original question, I feel great our the direction of UAlbany athletics and academics! I feel that going to Division I has awoken a sleeping mid-size giant in UAlbany. Lacrosse, track and field, hoops, and football (among other sports too, of course!) have been doing great. Community interest and excitement is at an all-time high. Media attention is at an all-time high. National awareness amongst NON-ACADEMICS is at an all-time high. We have a sweet football stadium in the works, and it looks like it will have the ability to be expanded! Perhaps most importantly, enrollment is up, as is

Academics at the undergraduate level are improving, we have a honor's college now, the school appears to be cracking down on rogue greek organizations, and 3 doctoral programs are ranked in the top 10 nationally (with a few more not far behind from my understanding). Give us a few years, and we'll be in the top 100 for the US New & W.R. Rankings, right along with Bingo, SB, Vermont, and company (we're currently not in the top 50% or top 127 schools for undergraduate ranking).

As far as next season, I can't wait to see us play in the post-J.W. era! I'm excited to see many of our current players and new recruits coming in to take the role of getting some points. I absolutely think that the top 3 in the America East are staying put: UA, BU, and UVM (in alphabetical order).

Moreover, there are rumored changes to the SEFCU, our attendance is going up every year, and it's possible that SEFCU could become an exclusive basketball facility (won't the new fieldhouse sport an indoor track?).

Exciting times ...

Once UAlbany wins the lacrosse national championship, any unneccessary negative residue from losing to an ACC team as a 13 seed will be completely forgotten.

As for the depression question, this week my chemical imbalance is luckily approaching the manic stage, so nothing will faze me too much.....

Go Great Danes!

I too want to play LLC at home but I have mixed feelings. I like the fact that at the TUC you can get a lot of people in there and expand the fanbase by drawing more of the region to the game. As a fan though, I want LLC to come to our place and get their eardrums blown out. What I don't want to happen is to play them twice a year or not play at all. This is a great rivalry that should continue. If it's gonna be at the TUC, Siena fans gotta give up some seats and let us into the good areas of the arena. Perhaps they could leave that game out of their season ticket package and sell single game tickets only, and split everything 50/50 with UA. That wouldn't be bad.

Why would I be depressed?

My team had a great season, is it a bit of a let down that we did not get an NCAA tourney win? Not at all.

Alumni92, Bob and many others around here remember some real lean years at the RACC, 150 people in the stands that kind of thing...

I would have never imagined going to the dance twice just 5 short years ago.

At the end of the day it was a great day to be a great dane.

Go Coach Marr! Bring us home an NCAA Div. 1 Championship!

Yeah, I'm real depressed :wacko::rolleyes::wacko:

Shouldn't we all be?????

Back to Back 20 win seasons!

Two AE Tourney Championships in a row!

First in the Conference 2006 - Second in 2007!

Our RPI has gone down steadily each of the past 4 years from around 300 down to 78!

Back to Back trips to the NCAAs!

A two time POY in Jamar!

Two first team all AE picks in the same year (Jamar & Jason) !

A Defensive POY in Lillis

Playing on National TV atleast 3 times each of the past two years!

All of this and we're still just a developing program!

OH Yeah!!!! I'm real depressed - GO Great Danes

looks like you're more manic then depressed

Archived