UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It looks good. Syracuse also has bilboards that state "New York's College Team". I saw one last time I was in New York on business. This is part of a new marketing plan. They obviously are trying to caplitalize on New York's lack of a flagship state school. Real smart on their part. If they can be viewed as "New York's team" they'll be able to sell a lot more crap (tee shirts, jersey's etc.) I'd bet half the people I see wearing Yankee apparel in Atlanta aren't baseball fans. It's just a way of saying "I'm a New Yorker". Can't begrudge Syracuse for taking advantage of an obvious opportunity left open by SUNY. There is a ton of money to be made in branding.

The topic of Syracuse sports always strikes a nerve with me. That said:

I think people perceive Syracuse as NY's team anyway - if they're not NY's team - who is?. Most people (outside of western NY and MAC territory) don't even know that Buffalo has a D1 football team.

Not sure why they have a need to change the helmets and uniforms every year or two - Oregon does it because of the Nike relationship, but why does Syracuse do it?

My question for Syracuse is why can't they get the best players in NY state? Mike Paulus went to UNC, USC had a couple WR and DB from NYC a couple of years ago, Mike Hart (who is from Syracuse) is a heisman candidate at Michigan, Ray Rice is a heisman candidate at Rutgers, Jolonn Dunbar who is also from Syracuse is an All American at BC. If they want to be NY's team, then they need to get the best kids in the state to go to school there. That's the way it works at most successful BCS schools.

Greg Schiano figured out how to get the NJ kids to go to Rutgers - he beat ND for one of the top linemen in the country and convinced the kid to stay in state.

I've always been a big Syracuse sports fan (saw them lose in the '87 NCAA Championship basketball game to Indiana). I was also at the Carrier Dome for one of the best wins in their programs history - when they beat Nebraska in 1984 and it pains me to see what the football program has become. Would like to see the football team be competitive. To do that, they need to focus on recruiting. Go back to the all orange helmets and focus on recruiting and winning.

They'll never be able to out-recruit the more tradition-laden teams or the warm weather schools. Syracuse gets killed by a few things- namely the City of Syracuse is economically depressed like the rest of western NY and the Carrier Dome is one of the worst stadiums in major college sports. It's absolutely horrendous to play in. (I played there twice in high school.) Tough to recruit to that, especailly when you have to recruit against the UConn's and Rutgers who have relatively new stadiums and facilties.

Plus its hard to compare Greg Schiano to Greg Robinson. Robinson has not proven anything yet and doesn't seem to have the recruiting ability that Schiano has. Schiano's players really and truly buy into what he's doing there. Especially since he basically turned down millions of dollars at Miami to stay in Piscataway, NJ. Now that's saying something. Nothing against Robinson, but he hasn't proven anything to anyone yet and that won't fly for recruits this day and age.

Last Friday afternoon, I saw the Syracuse University "New York's College Team for Sports" -- or something to that effect -- on a large advertisement on the side of a CDTA Bus here in downtown Albany. I wanted to throw up. I can't believe they are coming into our backyard and putting that crap on our public transportation. I hope the marketing people at UAlbany are aware of this ... .

I think there's no question that Syracuse is feeling the heat from us. We are a threat to SU. Good.

Last Friday afternoon, I saw the Syracuse University "New York's College Team for Sports" -- or something to that effect -- on a large advertisement on the side of a CDTA Bus here in downtown Albany. I wanted to throw up. I can't believe they are coming into our backyard and putting that crap on our public transportation. I hope the marketing people at UAlbany are aware of this ... .

I think there's no question that Syracuse is feeling the heat from us. We are a threat to SU. Good.

If I remember correctly there also is a billboard on the left side on I90 west near exit 5.

Wow....I can't believe they are blanketing CDTA with that crap. I'm a little concerned that our Athletic Dept. isn't doing more to promote our sports. Football rosters, signings and schedule was poorly handled. Not much is being done as far as I can see regarding our basketball team or excellent lacrosse team/season etc. Whats up? It seems like we moved the program to D1 but forgot to bring the media relations/marketing dept. with us.

Wow....I can't believe they are blanketing CDTA with that crap. I'm a little concerned that our Athletic Dept. isn't doing more to promote our sports. Football rosters, signings and schedule was poorly handled. Not much is being done as far as I can see regarding our basketball team or excellent lacrosse team/season etc. Whats up? It seems like we moved the program to D1 but forgot to bring the media relations/marketing dept. with us.

I imagine we'd do more if we had the endowment and funds that SU does. My guess is it comes down to dollars and cents ... . Thoughts?

Maybe. I think at this point they need to advertise and we don't. After all we MADE the NCAA tournament in basketball last year. We also made it in lacrosse unlike you know who. Our accomplishments speak for themselves, we don't need to be on a taxi. Oh yeah, we beat them in volleyball too!

I imagine we'd do more if we had the endowment and funds that SU does. My guess is it comes down to dollars and cents ... . Thoughts?

No doubt money has allot to do with what they are capable of doing and what we are capable of doing. Perhaps I was a bit to harsh, no doubt we can't compete with them dollar for dollar. But we can announce our football signings or do something to market the athletic program. We've talked about this a number of times, there are the little things that can be done to increase the exposure of our athletic program.

I write this off as a new D1 school going through growing pains, as our endowments increase and popularity grows these types of concerns will be in the history books but for now it would be nice to continue to grow. Marketing is the next step in order to fill up the football "stadium" the Cue as well as other events. These things take time but they can do the little things, like updating the webpage more regularly do spot advertisement etc.

I write this off as a new D1 school going through growing pains, as our endowments increase and popularity grows these types of concerns will be in the history books but for now it would be nice to continue to grow. Marketing is the next step in order to fill up the football "stadium" the Cue as well as other events. These things take time but they can do the little things, like updating the webpage more regularly do spot advertisement etc.

Whatever growing pains are taking place, it stretches beyond athletic promotion. I was talking about this the other day with a fellow alumnus and other areas are in the same boat. Some of these include that the campus center is basically closed weekends and the total lack of food options early weekend mornings (assuming all students sleep until 10:00 and want only breakfast food at 1:30 is poor at best). Is there any real reason that the bookstore and Ritazza should be closed all weekend when they would get some business?

Marketing for this program is lagging way, way behind the growth of the program. I understand the public/private divide, but if $iena can afford all those "We Love Our Saints" ads and St. Rose can get a CDTA contract, UA can at least afford SOMETHING. Maybe marketing is lagging behind everything else given the trend of procrastination right now; it's taking far longer to make Herbst president than it did to replace Hitchcock with Kermit and that worries me.

it's taking far longer to make Herbst president than it did to replace Hitchcock with Kermit and that worries me.

Next Monday will mark one year since Pres. Hall's death; the finalist candidates won't be arriving on campus for interviews until the midpoint of the coming semester.

Archived