UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

TU with a nice article today:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...wsdate=4/4/2008

Surprised the environmental impact study only started last week. However, it is starting to seem that the new stadium will be built over or near university field...not sure if that means the practice field idea where I heard a lot about is in play.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice piece.....lets keep our fingers crossed. I'm also surprised that the environmental impact study just started. I could have sworn there was talk of it being complete/in progress some time ago. Perhaps they didn't want to invest the money if they were uncertain that the funding would get done. I'm also worried that for us to raise the additional funds being talked about 10+mil will take years as things tend to move at a snails pace around here.

Looks like it's time to crack the wallet open again.

Still no news on an updated Education Budget Bill. They go into session at 10:00am 12:30PM ???? they still have not gone to conference yet at this time..so no clue when they will actually even be going into session... there are a few more budget bills that have not been updated yet either. Not sure right now if they are staying the weekend to continue working on the budget, finishing it today, or doing some today and coming back monday to finish up. We will see.

A couple of thoughts. First, I wish this articles wasn't printed. It is nice, but I fear it brings too much light to something that maybe would have been better to fly under the radar in these times, especially since every other story on the news is a recession story. I am waiting for the firestorm that will be unleashed in the "read and react" section.

Second, if we get the $36.5 million in state funding, the private fundraising will flow, especially once those bulldozers start rolling.

Third, $36.5 will be enough to build the stadium, but not the total package. That's where the additional $10 million in private fundraising is likely to be used.

Lastly, the $36.5 doesn't include the potential for money from Albany County and the City of Albany, who have both supported the idea as a community stadium.

Anyway, hopefully something will come through today.

Danefan, those are my thoughts exactly.

I believe it is too late for any naysayers to create any kind of stir though. The budget will be done, and the stadium will be a go or it won't be, and anyone blowing hot air is just wasting their time.

I too believe that private donations will start to flow when word is released we have the State Funding.

What I really hope, especially since Mayor Jennings is a big supporter, that the City of Albany steps up BIG TIME with a large amount of funding.... because this stadium will be used for many local events, which will bring in lots of business for the City of Albany as a whole. I'm not sure about the county, but other counties around the country have stepped up LARGELY to assist in the funding of other local stadiums.

If I were still a taxpayer in the City of Albany (sold the place) I would be raising holy hell to Jennings and the City Counsel to drop the stupid idea for the convention center and get on board for the stadium. If the stadium works out I'd parlay that into a major field house on or near the Harriman campus that could be used as a pseudo convention center if the city really ever needed one (which in my mind they really don't).

The Albany Convention Center Authority already has $205 million at its disposal including $75 million in pre-construction funding. My god, what that could do for the Capital Region if used in a smart way.

The stadium cost is less than 1/10 of the convention center (now projected over $400M).

When the Rubber Bowl was built, the Akron newspaper LED the funding drive, and then the city GAVE the stadium to U of Akron.

The stadium cost is less than 1/10 of the convention center (now projected over $400M).

When the Rubber Bowl was built, the Akron newspaper LED the funding drive, and then the city GAVE the stadium to U of Akron.

What do you think the TU's answer would be to a letter asking why they aren't supporting the stadium?

Do you think they would even acknowledge that they aren't supporting it? Or do you think they would pull the "we report, you decide" BS company line?

I hadn't been keeping up on the Albany convention center idea. They are still going with the idea? I assume with the boatload of cash in hand, they are........

Imagine swinging 50m over to the University in support of the stadium... would be a nice reality.

Although we might not be getting any support from the only major newspaper in the city of Albany, there is another newspaper that seems to nicely cover Ualbany sports, THE DAILY GAZETTE (schenectady gazette).

Bob Weiner, a sports reporter at the Gazette, is a University of Albany alumnus. He seems to always cover UAlbany sports very well. I have thanked him for his coverage. wein@dailygazette.com

Maybe the Gazette would be interested in pushing for stadium support. The reason they would: it's great for the entire region.

I hadn't been keeping up on the Albany convention center idea. They are still going with the idea? I assume with the boatload of cash in hand, they are........

Imagine swinging 50m over to the University in support of the stadium... would be a nice reality.

Although we might not be getting any support from the only major newspaper in the city of Albany, there is another newspaper that seems to nicely cover Ualbany sports, THE DAILY GAZETTE (schenectady gazette).

Bob Weiner, a sports reporter at the Gazette, is a University of Albany alumnus. He seems to always cover UAlbany sports very well. I have thanked him for his coverage. wein@dailygazette.com

Maybe the Gazette would be interested in pushing for stadium support. The reason they would: it's great for the entire region.

Latest Convention center news:

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stori.../04/story3.html

http://albany.bizjournals.com/albany/stori.../07/story6.html

This is great news!

I'm with Danefan. If Stony Brook can take on Rutgers, why can't we? 2010 or 2011 maybe?

I was very concerned about the stadium in the past few weeks but much less so today. I agree with the previous posters, what's done is done. The budget will be passed in the next day or so. It takes the TU at least a week to print any letters to the editor. Additional public sentiment weighing on the decision is too late (pro or con).

Bruno, Tedisco and Canestrani all represent the Capitol District. Party affiliation aside, no other region has so much presence in top leadership right now. If we don't get the money now, I don't see how things improve in the future?

Great day to be a Great Dane! :D

Archived