UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Funding and UAlbany Flagship

uofalbany

I don't feel like my alarm bell has begun to ring..... yet.

I don't feel like unnamed sources in the senate can tell the whole story.

It may very well be that the $ was axed in the capital funding of SUNY.

But this individual might not know anymore than that (assuming that the government did ax the money - and if not, disregard this post). There may be inner workings directing this stadium money elsewhere in the budget, under a different name or title... or it may be known that the Assembly has agreed to support the stadium from its RESERVE.

I still can't imagine that LM and the University would announce, PAY, and actual start the project analysis with HEERY International... if there were a chance for things to drop dead completely.

Unless it was an attempt to influence the governements decision on the 36.5million and/or the start of the contract with HEERY was contingent on receiving the 36.5million from the State first, I don't see a purpose of releasing this information to the public... unless something is in place or guaranteed already................

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't feel like my alarm bell has begun to ring..... yet.

I don't feel like unnamed sources in the senate can tell the whole story.

It may very well be that the $ was axed in the capital funding of SUNY.

But this individual might not know anymore than that (assuming that the government did ax the money - and if not, disregard this post). There may be inner workings directing this stadium money elsewhere in the budget, under a different name or title... or it may be known that the Assembly has agreed to support the stadium from its RESERVE.

I still can't imagine that LM and the University would announce, PAY, and actual start the project analysis with HEERY International... if there were a chance for things to drop dead completely.

Unless it was an attempt to influence the governements decision on the 36.5million and/or the start of the contract with HEERY was contingent on receiving the 36.5million from the State first, I don't see a purpose of releasing this information to the public... unless something is in place or guaranteed already................

Excellent point......I'm gonna put aside the sharp object I've been holding.

From a post made by UA72 back in January 2006

Game replay is on now. When asked about the stadium, McElroy said we're putting together a steering committee, getting the fundraising, and are looking to be turning ground after the lacrosse stadium is finished, probably in '07.

2007 is long gone and we seem to be further from breaking ground for a stadium then ever before.

Heck, all I've heard is that we are doing environmental studies (??) and trying to find a site for the stadium. If we were anticipating breaking ground in 2007 shouldn't we atleast know where we are going to put the stadium by 2008.

None of this is Dr. McElroys fault, he has been pushing as hard as he can for the stadium, our problem is we have absolutely zero power up top. We don't even have a president to represent us (an interim carries no weight).

It is fairly evident that other SUNY schools are parlaying our lack of administrative presence as a time for them to "seize the moment" and grab the cash and leave UA by the wayside as an unwanted, deprived child.

If UA doesn't get its house in order not only won't we have a stadium we will wind up being a low tier SUNY school.

I hope I'm wrong (!!!) but that's just what I see from my vantage point.

I hate guessing so I picked up the phone and called Canestrani's office. I spoke to a guy named Kevin. Kevin said the stadium didn't make the budget. He said Constrani fought but the Senate was to blame. I guess fault falls on Bruno for not looking out for his flagship campus. Kevin said there is no money elsewhere. We can fight for the stadium again next year.

That's what the man told me. He may not know of any back office deals but he knows more than we do.

Our representatives in the NYS Senate really let down New York's only flagship in eastern New York. Apparently LaValle cares more about Stony Brook than Bruno cares about UAlbany.

Numbers from new Education Bill. Version D.

I'm happy for UAlbany in general:

Albany

Construct Business School ........ 54,000,000

Campus Center Expansion/

Improvements ..................... 30,000,000

Campus Revitalization/Site

Improvements, Phase II ............ 5,000,000

Campus Revitalization Project .................. 25,000,000 (reappropriation)

But I'm also a little bit disgusted and I'll tell you why:

Canton

Convocation, Athletic & Recreation Center ...... 18,000,000 (reappropriation)

Center for Athletics/Recreational

Complex Phase II ................. 21,200,000

Geneseo

College Stadium Rehab &

Renovation ........................ 16,300,000

Morrisville

Upgrade Athletic Fields ........... 5,000,000

Stony Brook

Stadium Expansion .................. 2,700,000

University/Basketball Arena ....... 12,300,000

Stadium ........................................ 3,000,000(reappropriation)

Basketball Arena ............................... 8,000,000 (reappropriation)

Binghamton

New Athletics Fields ............... 5,000,000

Upgrade to Events Center ........... 1,000,000

Buffalo State

Athletic Stadium ............................... 4,000,000 (reappropriation)

Onondaga Community College

Athletics Complex ................. 16,500,000 (that's the state's 50% share)

Stony Brook Law School Project .... 45,000,000

Binghamton Law School ......................... 3,000,000

Numbers from new Education Bill. Version D.

I'm happy for UAlbany in general:

Albany

Construct Business School ........ 54,000,000

Campus Center Expansion/

Improvements ..................... 30,000,000

Campus Revitalization/Site

Improvements, Phase II ............ 5,000,000

Campus Revitalization Project .................. 25,000,000 (reappropriation)

But I'm also a little bit disgusted and I'll tell you why:

Stony Brook

Stadium Expansion .................. 2,700,000

University/Basketball Arena ....... 12,300,000

Stadium ........................................ 3,000,000(reappropriation)

Basketball Arena ............................... 8,000,000 (reappropriation)

Binghamton

New Athletics Fields ............... 5,000,000

Upgrade to Events Center ........... 1,000,000

Buffalo State

Athletic Stadium ............................... 4,000,000 (reappropriation)

Stony Brook Law School Project .... 45,000,000

Binghamton Law School ......................... 3,000,000

You know they wouldn't forsake UB o USB.

1.Is the business school construction going up on the Main Campus?

2.Where is the 'Campus Revitalization Project $25,000,000' going to be applied?

3.Also, didn't we get 60-80 million for Nanoscale Science and Engineering?

This damn stadium is so important :angry2: Any recruit visiting UAlbany( for all UAlbany sports ) seeing that the University will have a STADIUM will influence alot of athletes to come to the University... it could be the deciding factor for MANY.

A Huge sarcastic Thanks to Bruno and Farley for stepping up for the University in the Senate.

You know they wouldn't forsake UB o USB.

1.Is the business school construction going up on the Main Campus?

2.Where is the 'Campus Revitalization Project $25,000,000' going to be applied?

3.Also, didn't we get 60-80 million for Nanoscale Science and Engineering?

This damn stadium is so important :angry2: Any recruit visiting UAlbany( for all UAlbany sports ) seeing that the University will have a STADIUM will influence alot of athletes to come to the University... it could be the deciding factor for MANY.

Yes we did get the money for Nanotech but I'm still waiting for that endeavor to have impact the Unversity in anything more then being able have the following conversation with grads from other schools:

Me: "Albany has the world's greatest nanotechnology school".

Them: What's nanotechnology?

Me: I have no idea.

The campus revitilization funding is already spent. It is for the main entrance to the school.

And last I heard the business school is going to be built inside Collins Circle. Goodbye great lawn.

I'm so disgusted with this BS. Why does UA always get the shaft? Goes to show that NY state government is one of the worst in the country. For those of you more in the know about the inner workings of the SUNY system; Why cant we get these companies working out of NANO to contribute 5 million a piece?

You guys (and gals) are going to have to forgive me. I really am trying to stay positive, and because of that I am holding back what I really think is going to happen from here on.

Dude....just let it out!

You asked for it...... :ph34r:

These are my feelings and are not based anything other then my gut. So feel free to write them off at will.

My feeling is that the stadium as we know it right now is dead. We cannot afford to wait another year to hope that we'll get it. That nice little picture that I love, will never come to fruition. Those with the power to make it happen have decided against it. Does it suck? Absolutely. Can we, as supporters of the university, allow it to stop us from helping the university move in the right direction? Absolutely not.

I think we (us and the university) should now move onto Plan B - upgrades to Unviersity Field.

We should be able to raise $10 million privately between individual and corporate donors and add that to some money from the city and county and I think we can still come up with a modest stadium that will suit us going foward for at least 10 years.

Is it the best-case scenario? No. But we cannot afford to sit around and wait another year. Earth needs to be moved and recruits need to see it moving. Whether its on a new stadium or a major renovation of university field, I don't think it will matter.

1. Either fix the track or get rid of it. I am in favor of fixing it, adding more lanes and making it the top track & field facility in the northeast. The state track & field meet should be in one place every year and it should be at UAlbany.

2. Start bowling in University Field on the Visitors side. One tier should be able to hold about 5,000 people from end-zone to end-zone. The first row of stands has to be high enough to be able to see over the track and the players on the sideline.

3. Finish the lockerroom renovation which will include upgraded meeting and film rooms and a better visitors lockerroom.

4. Field turf.

5. Scoreboard with jumbotron and video replay ability.

6. Now, if the politicians get off their a$$es and realize what this can do, then next year we get an additional $15 or so million to upgrade what is now the home side. The stands can come down from the top of the PE building directly to the side of the track, taking the road out of play. That will easily add an additional 7,000 to 10,000 seats.

We need to do something and if it involves years building in stages, then so be it. Sitting and waiting to have the "Crown Jewel of the NEC" is counterproductive in my opinion.

I'm so disgusted with this BS. Why does UA always get the shaft? Goes to show that NY state government is one of the worst in the country. For those of you more in the know about the inner workings of the SUNY system; Why cant we get these companies working out of NANO to contribute 5 million a piece?

I personally believe that the University needs to have a full time Legislative Coordinator for non-academic/athletics who can create relationships with the legislators. How can you expect them to give us $ if there isn't someone pushing the ideas all year long. You can't just hope that a few visits here and there is going to do it. Really the University needs to use the skills that they teach in the Rockefeller College undergrad and grad courses and network, create legislative contacts. I know that the school has a state affairs unit but obviously they have not been doing that great of a job. Someone needs to focus on athletics or non-academic funding.

And as for blaming the entire state legislature, they really are fighting for their constituents, other than Bruno. They fight for those who elect them and so, if people from their district are not contacting them about a UA Stadium they aren't going to fight for it, and why should they. Their job is do to the people's work, those who elect them, and people complain that they are screwing Albany, in all honestly if they don't represent Albany or represent Alumni who go to UAlbany, why would they put their neck on the line for funding for a stadium when school district aid is being cut in their districts for example. I don't mean to rain on some peoples parade but logically there are priorities and if elementary school funding is being cut in a members district any place in the state, why would they push for a stadium not in their district?

As for the future of the stadium, I guess we have to wait for an update from the UA Athletics Office to see if they plan on still looking for money. The budget process for the next year starts the day after the budget gets passed, which is today. And if they are, they should start working from day one, which is tomorrow to push for funding in the 09-10 budget. Just my 2 cents.

I personally believe that the University needs to have a full time Legislative Coordinator for non-academic/athletics who can create relationships with the legislators. How can you expect them to give us $ if there isn't someone pushing the ideas all year long. You can't just hope that a few visits here and there is going to do it. Really the University needs to use the skills that they teach in the Rockefeller College undergrad and grad courses and network, create legislative contacts. I know that the school has a state affairs unit but obviously they have not been doing that great of a job. Someone needs to focus on athletics or non-academic funding.

And as for blaming the entire state legislature, they really are fighting for their constituents, other than Bruno. They fight for those who elect them and so, if people from their district are not contacting them about a UA Stadium they aren't going to fight for it, and why should they. Their job is do to the people's work, those who elect them, and people complain that they are screwing Albany, in all honestly if they don't represent Albany or represent Alumni who go to UAlbany, why would they put their neck on the line for funding for a stadium when school district aid is being cut in their districts for example. I don't mean to rain on some peoples parade but logically there are priorities and if elementary school funding is being cut in a members district any place in the state, why would they push for a stadium not in their district?

As for the future of the stadium, I guess we have to wait for an update from the UA Athletics Office to see if they plan on still looking for money. The budget process for the next year starts the day after the budget gets passed, which is today. And if they are, they should start working from day one, which is tomorrow to push for funding in the 09-10 budget. Just my 2 cents.

And I think your thoughts are spot on. This project was not sold to the legislature like it should have been. McElroy did what he could, but without a President we have no leadership pushing anything.

Secondly, we should be blaming the Times Useless more then any member of the legislature. I firmly believe if the TU had taken a role in this process the bulldozers would be rolling today. Instead they sit content to promote Siena athletics and the Times Useless Center. You can bet your a$$ that the TU would have had weekly commentary if the TU needed an upgrade and was looking for state funding. "Is it worth the money". Are you freakin kidding me. To even throw the question out there shows that the TU DOES NOT THINK IT IS WORTH THE MONEY!

Archived