UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany advocacy day

statefan

2009 UAlbany “Advocacy” Day is February 10th!

Interim President George Philip

invites you to join UAlbany Alumni, Students, Faculty, Staff and Friends to

Celebrate and Advocate for the University at Albany

Rally & Reception

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

5:00 to 6:30 p.m.

Liberty Café

North Concourse, Empire State Plaza

Parking available under the Plaza in V Lot. Take elevator to Concourse

& follow signs to North Concourse and Liberty Café.

Shuttle buses will run between Collins Circle at UAlbany and the Empire State Plaza (details to follow).

RSVP required by Friday, February 6, 2009

Register online at www.albany.edu/alumni/register/htm or call 518.442.5373.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2009 UAlbany “Advocacy” Day is February 10th!

Interim President George Philip

invites you to join UAlbany Alumni, Students, Faculty, Staff and Friends to

Celebrate and Advocate for the University at Albany

Rally & Reception

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

5:00 to 6:30 p.m.

Liberty Café

North Concourse, Empire State Plaza

Parking available under the Plaza in V Lot. Take elevator to Concourse

& follow signs to North Concourse and Liberty Café.

Shuttle buses will run between Collins Circle at UAlbany and the Empire State Plaza (details to follow).

RSVP required by Friday, February 6, 2009

Register online at www.albany.edu/alumni/register/htm or call 518.442.5373.

Please attend this event if at all possible.

I went last year and I think it helped. Politicians need to see that UAlbany is important to the Capitol District. I'm in Atlanta this year so I can't make it. It's important that we have a large contingent. For god's sake, there are 145,000 UA alumni and most live in the Capitol District. Make the effort.

From today's Schenectady Gazette

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2009/jan/10/0110_print/

------------------------------------------------------------

Time for state to give UAlbany its due

I was watching SUNY Buffalo play University of Connecticut in the International Bowl Jan. 3. I was wondering why not UAlbany?

Both UAlbany and Buffalo are SUNY centers. Both universities are large-scale state research centers. They both employ thousands and have tens of thousands of students. Why the disparity? Why does UAlbany play partial scholarship football on facilities that aren’t even on a high school level while Buffalo plays bowl games in large stadiums?

The Capital Region is home to [hundreds of thousands] of New Yorkers who don’t have a major professional franchise within two and a half hours. Buffalo supports the SUNY Buffalo Bulls in addition to their professional teams, the Bills and Sabres. Why isn’t the Capital Region entitled to some level of parity or equality?

UAlbany was thrown under the bus by former Gov. Spitzer when he suggested there were only two “flagships.” It’s time for people to realize there is only one SUNY center from New York City to the Canadian border. The Capital Region deserves to see its flagship university out on the gridiron with other peer state university capital campuses, like Michigan State (Lansing), Florida State (Tallahassee), Wisconsin (Madison) and Texas (Austin).

What’s good enough for Buffalo is good enough for UAlbany.

I was watching SUNY Buffalo play University of Connecticut in the International Bowl Jan. 3. I was wondering why not UAlbany?

Both UAlbany and Buffalo are SUNY centers. Both universities are large-scale state research centers. They both employ thousands and have tens of thousands of students. Why the disparity? Why does UAlbany play partial scholarship football on facilities that aren’t even on a high school level while Buffalo plays bowl games in large stadiums?

The Capital Region is home to [hundreds of thousands] of New Yorkers who don’t have a major professional franchise within two and a half hours. Buffalo supports the SUNY Buffalo Bulls in addition to their professional teams, the Bills and Sabres. Why isn’t the Capital Region entitled to some level of parity or equality?

UAlbany was thrown under the bus by former Gov. Spitzer when he suggested there were only two “flagships.” It’s time for people to realize there is only one SUNY center from New York City to the Canadian border. The Capital Region deserves to see its flagship university out on the gridiron with other peer state university capital campuses, like Michigan State (Lansing), Florida State (Tallahassee), Wisconsin (Madison) and Texas (Austin).

What’s good enough for Buffalo is good enough for UAlbany.

There's a fairly simple answer....and it's Leadership. How can we expect to get our fair share when we've had an interim president for how many years now?? Not to mention all of the other leadership positions with interim posts.

This is a very serious issue and one that needs to be rectified asap. As much as I love my university, I feel compelled to withhold donations until they get some solid, permanent, leadership in place. This is just ridiculous already.

We all know the answers to these questions. The article was just to raise awareness to the general population. The average Joe may not know of this inequity.

Both UAlbany and Buffalo are SUNY centers. Both universities are large-scale state research centers. They both employ thousands and have tens of thousands of students. Why the disparity? Why does UAlbany play partial scholarship football on facilities that aren't even on a high school level while Buffalo plays bowl games in large stadiums?

The Capital Region is home to [hundreds of thousands] of New Yorkers who don't have a major professional franchise within two and a half hours. Buffalo supports the SUNY Buffalo Bulls in addition to their professional teams, the Bills and Sabres. Why isn't the Capital Region entitled to some level of parity or equality?

UAlbany was thrown under the bus by former Gov. Spitzer when he suggested there were only two "flagships." It's time for people to realize there is only one SUNY center from New York City to the Canadian border. The Capital Region deserves to see its flagship university out on the gridiron with other peer state university capital campuses, like Michigan State (Lansing), Florida State (Tallahassee), Wisconsin (Madison) and Texas (Austin).

What's good enough for Buffalo is good enough for UAlbany.

There's a fairly simple answer....and it's Leadership. How can we expect to get our fair share when we've had an interim president for how many years now?? Not to mention all of the other leadership positions with interim posts.

This is a very serious issue and one that needs to be rectified asap. As much as I love my university, I feel compelled to withhold donations until they get some solid, permanent, leadership in place. This is just ridiculous already.

That is a common sentiment I've heard from alumni lately. Don't feel like you're alone with your feelings.

congrats ATL...you made the TU today...two papers in two days...bravo

As I said earlier, I'm just trying to raise awareness among the general population. The folks on this board have heard all the complaints about UA's dispirit treatment relative to its SUNY Center peers a hundred times. I hope in small small way to get the general population to question why Buffalo is the "flagship". Why is UA the only SUNY Center playing on a high school field? Why isn't the Capitol Region expecting and pushing for more from their SUNY Center? Why aren't Capitol District politicians fighting for UA?

I don't expect one article to do much but if awareness is raised just a little bit it was worth the time. Money isn't the only way to help the alma mater or the community.

Please attend UAlbany Advocacy Day. It only takes an hour if you work downtown.

Both UAlbany and Buffalo are SUNY centers. Both universities are large-scale state research centers. They both employ thousands and have tens of thousands of students. Why the disparity? Why does UAlbany play partial scholarship football on facilities that aren't even on a high school level while Buffalo plays bowl games in large stadiums?

The Capital Region is home to [hundreds of thousands] of New Yorkers who don't have a major professional franchise within two and a half hours. Buffalo supports the SUNY Buffalo Bulls in addition to their professional teams, the Bills and Sabres. Why isn't the Capital Region entitled to some level of parity or equality?

UAlbany was thrown under the bus by former Gov. Spitzer when he suggested there were only two "flagships." It's time for people to realize there is only one SUNY center from New York City to the Canadian border. The Capital Region deserves to see its flagship university out on the gridiron with other peer state university capital campuses, like Michigan State (Lansing), Florida State (Tallahassee), Wisconsin (Madison) and Texas (Austin).

What's good enough for Buffalo is good enough for UAlbany.

That is a common sentiment I've heard from alumni lately. Don't feel like you're alone with your feelings.

Count me in as well. I know most schools don't have bizarre circumstances happen (between Hilton Head and Ashley Dupree and SUNY not counter-offering Georgia for Herbst), but there comes breaking point where leadership HAS to be in place. It's kind of unsettling that when this year's seniors graduate there will be no typical students who were here the last time we had permanent leadership.

The total apathy by those down on the Capitol makes things much, much worse. It makes me want to propose "Kermit's Law", a law that would impose a time limit on finding a new president in the case a president dies/suddenly resigns to prevent this from happening. At least I now live in a state that doesn't languish with such apathy and corruption.

• 5 weeks later...

-Was nice overall other than the adults and students in the back who had no respect and held quite loud conversations while the speakers spoke.

-The Chancellor spoke for the first time ever as the Chancellor at our event which was awesome. She said something like she will help make SUNY the best state system. And the the next person up was Assemblyman Canestrari and he said he is proud that we ARE the best system.

-I was internally booing when LaValle spoke, who invited him lol. He has no importance anymore, the minority member. And he of course had to mention SB by asking who we were playing on thursday and asked who would win. BOOO to him.

-The school had a much larger setup, half way through the concourse when last time they had only 2 small sections. Purple and Gold Balloons went down the entire length of the concourse.

I assume the school will be posting pics on their website....sometime soon.

Archived