UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting

@Click- Agreed with the caution...but if he fulfills 3/4 of his potential...he will be a steal. Maybe less of a cautious Harris...more like a cautious Ambrose?

@Haggy- Built many championship teams? Or is that just your borrowed proverb for the day?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Haggy- Built many championship teams? Or is that just your borrowed proverb for the day?

Haven't built any, so I guess we are tied.

I guess I'm ready to draw a distinction between hype and production, whereas for you the next student athlete is always going to be the next GREAT student athlete.

I guess I'm ready to draw a distinction between hype and production, whereas for you the next student athlete is always going to be the next GREAT student athlete.

Now you are making up stories. I usually say things like "Gotta give em time"...or "great...but let's see"

I personally know the difference between being a top player at the high school level...and getting to the next level and not having it pan out. I thought I was the bee's knees (and in my area I was)...and then the next level happened. Point is, I dont think every player is the next "great student athlete."

So I think you are bit off base putting words in my mouth. Now I am sure you are going to do a search, so I will caveat my statement with the fact that like everyone, I am sure I hyped a player or two up. That said, you do build a team on paper...and hope it pans out.

Now you are making up stories. I usually say things like "Gotta give em time"...or "great...but let's see"

I personally know the difference between being a top player at the high school level...and getting to the next level and not having it pan out. I thought I was the bee's knees (and in my area I was)...and then the next level happened. Point is, I dont think every player is the next "great student athlete."

So I think you are bit off base putting words in my mouth. Now I am sure you are going to do a search, so I will caveat my statement with the fact that like everyone, I am sure I hyped a player or two up. That said, you do build a team on paper...and hope it pans out.

I won't search.

I am just frustrated from the losing. I can't imagine how I would feel if I actually had something real vested in the program like the players and coaches.

BTW, I would say you start your team on paper and build it through coaching.

WOW! I am uber excited with this recruit.

That's why everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X. With the latest edition, the growth of the current class...I have no doubt we will be in the mix of things over the next two seasons.

over the next two seasons would mean a contract extension for brown. in sports i do not believe in having a lame duck coach going into a new season not knowing his future, but i suppose its different at this level in that we wouldnt eat his final year or give him an extension at the beginning of next season.

just my opinion.

also another thing i would like to add is that i assume players know how many years are left on their coaches contracts. so does this get brought up in the recruiting process? if i was a recruit and saw that the coach had only a year left and the teams been having consecutive poor years, im not sure id want to go to that school knowing he may not be there. obviously this did not hurt our recruiting as we filled or '12 class. just was wondering.

I'm sure other coaches would use someone being in the last year of their contract. Of course, if you're winning those other coaches are probably going to say you're going to leave to another job. Much like Lonergan at Vermont this past year. I don't really know how stability there is at this level.

Reading this thread and hyping recruits made me think about when I have done it and how wrong I've been.

Remember how excited we were to see Joe Dyson? I don't think he made it into January his freshman year. Then there have been other guys who I didn't think anything of. I remember when we signed Jason Siggers, I thought "why do we need another guard? He's never going to get on the court." Then he suited up and was a first-team all conference player.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN has 3 recruits having signed with Albany for 2011.

I have no idea if this is true or if this Gerardo Suero kid is the guy being referenced above so let me make that clear. I just saw the ESPN website and googled him and it kind of fits with the comments made above about comparisons to transfer Will Harris and Tim Ambrose (went to same HS) talent wise. Had interest from high majors while in high school and looks to be averaging 31.0 PPG in JUCO so I would be excited about this signing if indeed it is true.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/399/class/2011

http://syracuse.scout.com/a.z?s=185&p=8&c=1&nid=3031711

http://hsnewyork.scout.com/2/740597.html

Gerardo Suero

Ht: 6-4 Wt: 185 PPG: 31.0

Position: SG, PG

Birthplace: Santa Domingo,

Dominican Republic

Year: Class of 2008

High School: Our Savior New American School

(Centereach, NY)

Junior College: Wabash Valley College

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. Urli leaving wouldn't be a huge surprise..but how sure are you that Allen won't return next season?

I guess the logic could make sense. If Brown was assuming that Allen was departing..but that Moore was staying..the 3 recruits he signed would total up correctly.

If all that is true..I wouldn't mind Brown holding on to that scholarship until next year. If he brings in another recruit to begin in 11-12..he won't have any available scholarships to give out to begin in 12-13..assuming there's no departures, etc.

Archived