UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown interviewing at Dartmouth?

I highly doubt he is guaranteed this year or next. He probably has some sort of small buy-out clause.

As for cost of living...believe me...it is a HUGE difference living in Hanover than Albany. I practically go through Hanover every weekend in the winter and have many friends (including my physician) who have lived there.

I see your point...but when you are on contract or you are making the sums of $$ coach's make...you listen. And here is the deal, if he brings together a squad by the last year of his contract that is highly competitive...I dont think McElroy would hold a grudge.

I know these things are never accurate but according to bestplaces.net it is much more expensive to live in Hanover than Albany. Hanover is a 147 and Albany a 105 w/ 100 being the average. Most of the other sites didn't include Hanover, but other cities in NH were very close to Albany.

Dartmouth has conducted a study to address the problem of the lack of affordable housing and the fact that many mid/low income employees have to commute up to an hour.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me...I have worked in both places and been to both places...and have had friends teach and work in both places, and Albany is more expensive overall than Hanover.

The fact you are even going here still tells me you are missing the point. The Coaching profession is such that Scott Hicks was out selling class rings...and Dennis Wolfe hasnt gotten a sniff.

Fact- Pension from an Ivy is better

Fact- there was more guaranteed money on the table, from reports.

Fact- he likely would have gotten a housing allowance (I was offered 12k from Princeton in 1996...as a lower level ADEPT person-- he likely would get more.

Fact- his kids probably would have been guaranteed an IVY education if things worked out.

Fact- it is near his wife's home (couple of hours) something he publicly said was impt.

Fact- If you include cost of living, no state income tax, no state sales tax...then you get around the salary he was making, in turn making his guaranteed money actually around 230-250 x 6 years (that is how you figure out future costs...even when I do it with option contracts).

You cannot get around this stuff.

THE BIGGEST FACT- he felt he still had something to prove so he left all of that on the table.

Now, you edit to bring in the Dartmouth housing study-- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO HANOVER?!?! It is a tiny town. And all the housing is either big victorian's that the profs live in...or college row housing. Additionally, it said affordable housing...not affordable living. If Coach got housing...then the real issue is movies, dinners, shopping etc. Considering I stop in Hanover, Lebanon, and W. Lebanon (in addition to nearby White River Junction) about 20-26 weekends a year, I know the costs.

It is done, over with...let's move on.

Reading this discussion, some valid points are being made. I'll say this though...had he contacted them about the job, I'd have a problem with it if I'm being totally frank. Seeing how they contacted him, I presume at or around the final four which he attended, I have very little issues with him going on the interview. At my current job, if someone called me and said we have a job opportunity that we think you'd be a good fit for, would you be interesting in listening to what we have to offer...100 times out of 100 I'd go listen, AS WOULD JUST ABOUT ANYONE ELSE.

Now to the issue that he let things dangle and didn't pull himself from the search earlier, it's unclear exactly what he was being told by Dartmouth in regards to what they are prepared to offer him or any other candidate. We've all seen the figure reported of 170K over 6 years. How do we know how accurate this figure is?

Something else that has crosses my mind, seeing how THEY contacted him, is it totally out of the realm of possibility that he gave them a list of things they'd need to do in order to give him the necessary tools needed to compete at the Ivy level/mid-major level. Perhaps they were not prepared to fund/support the program at an acceptable level and he pulled out, either that or they dragged their feet to long, to the point where it was hurting his job performance at UA, mainly recruiting.

I'll say this...if I know I have two year on my contract and someone says, we might be interesting in giving you the security of SIX year, I jump in my car and go listen to what they have to say.

Sorry for beating the dead horse. But most of us have no job security (vs. 2 years I guess for CB), and I hope nobody with any skills and comfort at their current job would go talk to someone offering 30% less even if guaranteed for six years, especially if you have to ask your current employer for permission.

Trust me...I have worked in both places and been to both places...and have had friends teach and work in both places, and Albany is more expensive overall than Hanover.

The fact you are even going here still tells me you are missing the point. The Coaching profession is such that Scott Hicks was out selling class rings...and Dennis Wolfe hasnt gotten a sniff.

Fact- Pension from an Ivy is better

Fact- there was more guaranteed money on the table, from reports.

Fact- he likely would have gotten a housing allowance (I was offered 12k from Princeton in 1996...as a lower level ADEPT person-- he likely would get more.

Fact- his kids probably would have been guaranteed an IVY education if things worked out.

Fact- it is near his wife's home (couple of hours) something he publicly said was impt.

Fact- If you include cost of living, no state income tax, no state sales tax...then you get around the salary he was making, in turn making his guaranteed money actually around 230-250 x 6 years (that is how you figure out future costs...even when I do it with option contracts).

You cannot get around this stuff.

THE BIGGEST FACT- he felt he still had something to prove so he left all of that on the table.

Now, you edit to bring in the Dartmouth housing study-- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO HANOVER?!?! It is a tiny town. And all the housing is either big victorian's that the profs live in...or college row housing. Additionally, it said affordable housing...not affordable living. If Coach got housing...then the real issue is movies, dinners, shopping etc. Considering I stop in Hanover, Lebanon, and W. Lebanon (in addition to nearby White River Junction) about 20-26 weekends a year, I know the costs.

It is done, over with...let's move on.

See it was nice civil discussion and then you go "I know everything about everything and have done everything everywhere."

That is why you end up with angry people.

Yes, been there. Thanks for asking.

As for size, in this case it doesn't matter. Saratoga is smaller than Albany, and guess what, more expensive. Fact.

As for the study it talks of "the high cost of living in Hanover". Of course the most important part is housing, but I'll bet food is also more expensive as is gas. Small out of the way towns many times have high prices.

http://rockefeller.dartmouth.edu/library/affordable_housing_report.pdf

In 2006 median price of a home in Hanover $426M. Let's hope is housing allowance is for a big dollar amount. Fact.

So your driving through and visiting Hanover and knowing everything vs. an extensive Dartmouth study. Let me guess you know more than they do. Of course.

I also like this Fact of yours:

"Fact- his kids probably would have been guaranteed an IVY education if things worked out."

Grand, if he stays for 12-18 years (happens all the time) his kids may or may not get an IVY educations.

I hope nobody with any skills and comfort at their current job would go talk to someone offering 30% less even if guaranteed for six years, especially if you have to ask your current employer for permission....McFan

You're hanging your hat on the $170,000 salary.

First off we don't know if that is accurate. If I were a betting man which I'm not I would bet even Cormier gets over 170K.

Secondly there are ways to offset base salary (Like the proceeds from 1 or part of 1 so called money game).

Just food for thought.

I don't think we'll ever know the real truth or the whole story but what we do know is CB signed 2 recruits this past week, so he was doing his job.

I hope nobody with any skills and comfort at their current job would go talk to someone offering 30% less even if guaranteed for six years, especially if you have to ask your current employer for permission....McFan

You're hanging your hat on the $170,000 salary.

First off we don't know if that is accurate. If I were a betting man which I'm not I would bet even Cormier gets over 170K.

Secondly there are ways to offset base salary (Like the proceeds from 1 or part of 1 so called money game).

Just food for thought.

I don't think we'll ever know the real truth or the whole story but what we do know is CB signed 2 recruits this past week, so he was doing his job.

Correct. I'm trusting some unverified information. Best info we have at this point. I think we all are going w/ that info being in the ballpark for sake of discussion.

I can't help but think there are a couple of people who REALLY wanted Brown gone and are disappointed that he didn't leave. Why not go on the record and ask for him to be fired instead of pouting like little girls.

He's either gonna make it next season or not...time will tell.

Exactly Click...and they are using stupid arguments like salary comparsion's, cant get the job etc.

I understand people saying...last season was so bad for me I NO LONGER SUPPORT WILL BROWN AS THE HEAD BASKETBALL COACH AT THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY. I can respect that, we lost A LOT last year, and there is certainly a lot of questions about the direction this program is going in, but this kind of juvenile commentary, 'how bad does this guy suck that even Dartmouth didn't want him' is totally unnecessary IMO.

There is clearly some resentment so just come out and say what you mean instead of hiding behind innuendo.

If it makes you guys feel better then I will flat out say I did not want him here anymore after the whole Dartmouth opening came up. Leaving your team for a new and better job coming off consecutive tournament appearances is one thing, but looking to abandon the program with 8 conference wins in two years is another story. I had no problem with him listening to Bona. He was coming off back to back NCAA tournament appearances and listened to offers or the one offer. Him listening to offers today seems to me he is looking for a way out. After the multiple raises he has been given by the school I think we deserve a little better. I am more upset about him looking to leave here for a team that is even worse than us and has been struggling for so many years. I have no choice though, but to root for the team to win next year and the point now is moot.

Also to add...

Since he is staying I would like to see him not blame his players as much for their loses this year. Maybe even take some criticism for loses. Try not get into it with any of his players or their family members and keep his dog house empty. This all may be a little bit too much to ask for since he is probably on the hot seat.

I can't help but think there are a couple of people who REALLY wanted Brown gone and are disappointed that he didn't leave. Why not go on the record and ask for him to be fired instead of pouting like little girls.

He's either gonna make it next season or not...time will tell.

Not sure if that was pointed at me or not, but for the record.

I really want him gone.

I don't want him fired. I think both sides of contracts should honor them with maximum effort. Long term contracts should be entered into very carefully.

I'm not "pouting like little girls". I think the program is headed the wrong direction and the basketball is borderline unwatchable. I hope I'm wrong and that we turn it around this year. Give me 18 wins and I'll state that I was wrong and it was just a couple of rebuilding years. Somebody will have to track that one for me.

Do I continue to find it odd that he would interview for a step down? Absolutely. Disagree if you want. Look at the other candidates for the Dartmouth job (reportedly, since that seems to be an issue now too) and tell me what you think?

Exactly Click...and they are using stupid arguments like salary comparsion's, cant get the job etc.

Yep, comparing salaries for a job hunt is "stupid".

But saying in 12-18 years his kids may be able to go to an Ivy school for free is brilliant.

Arguing that his Albany money isn't guaranteed (small buyout clause), but the Dartmouth job s more guaranteed money is also just brilliant.

Sorry for clogging this up w/ my "stupid" analysis.

Citing a Dartmouth study that stats that housing and cost of living and Hanover is expensive is "stupid". Saying I've been to Hanover and it's cost of living is less than Albany, Brilliant.

And this gem "The fact you are even going here still tells me you are missing the point. The Coaching profession is such that Scott Hicks was out selling class rings...and Dennis Wolfe hasnt gotten a sniff."

That is my point. He is desperate. He wants to lock up anything (opinion, for those that don't recognize).

Archived