UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Open Letter to Students

I think we have found an ally @ the TU in McGuire and this blog should embrace him. I do not know if UA students read the TU or not (I hope they stay current in the world and community with something more than Facebook); never the less Mark has offered several articles that have promoted the UA athletic cause. He has given the university a number of chances to promote "the stadium" and to build community. I know many of us feel UA does not owe the TU a thing, but when an olive branch is passed, I for one feel we should grab it. Especially since all Mark is really saying is the administration needs to promote itself (and its facility needs) better to its students and to the community.

I think we have found an ally @ the TU in McGuire and this blog should embrace him. I do not know if UA students read the TU or not (I hope they stay current in the world and community with something more than Facebook); never the less Mark has offered several articles that have promoted the UA athletic cause. He has given the university a number of chances to promote "the stadium" and to build community. I know many of us feel UA does not owe the TU a thing, but when an olive branch is passed, I for one feel we should grab it. Especially since all Mark is really saying is the administration needs to promote itself (and its facility needs) better to its students and to the community.

Couldn't agree with you more...again, Mark wrote something positive, something promotion or trying to establish some sort of activity at a UA game. He has written a number of positive articles recently.

THAT GUY IS ALRIGHT IN MY BOOK!

Couldn't agree with you more...again, Mark wrote something positive, something promotion or trying to establish some sort of activity at a UA game. He has written a number of positive articles recently.

Agreed!

agree

Agreed!

Agree as well. I don't always agree with him, but he is far better than anyone else at his paper. He is the only reporter from the TU that I have seen on UA campus more than 1 day in a row. He also has shown that he gets that there is more than one sport and one team that deserves coverage in this area. For those that did not see, he wrote a good blog entry as well for the St Rose women's soccer team while Robert Lee wrote a completely garbage entry on his.

http://blog.timesunion.com/mcguire/yeah-this-saint-rose-title-is-a-big-deal/13192/

Just as a heads-up, Mark was also at last night's Niagara vs UA women's basketball game, something rarely seen from other TU staffers. Even if he doesn't always have nice things to say about UA (sometimes the truth hurts), overall he's on our side.

Barely any read the TU, We don't get their newspapers and I doubt anybody really goes to get their news there.

I do but I'm a weird breed, that has known about this message board for ~3 years.

Edit: Also if you're going to criticize the students that do go to the game, please refrain from it. Alumni we need your help in making the noise too, we can't do it all alone if there's just a small group of us. SEFCU is a large arena.

As well, we were trying to get as loud as we could in the TUC but we accrued no support from the Alumni. Their was a comment on the blog and well honestly we need your help.

Just as a heads-up, Mark was also at last night's Niagara vs UA women's basketball game, something rarely seen from other TU staffers. Even if he doesn't always have nice things to say about UA (sometimes the truth hurts), overall he's on our side.

Also agree.

students will show if we win. simple enough. sefcu can easily be one of the toughest places to play with both endzones literally on top of the basket.

I was never an undergraduate student at UAlbany, so I ask for some patience as I explore the following questions with members on this Board:

1. Is there a "Greek life" on campus at the University of Albany?

2. If there are fraternities and sororities on campus, why have I never --- not once --- seen a greek member at a UAlbany basketball game?

3. Do most upper-class students (to wit, juniors and seniors), including members of fraternities and sororities, live downtown or off campus?

4. Is there a way to rally the "Greeks" on campus and upper-class students and get this cohort of individuals to the games?

At many other universities, members of fraternities and sororities provide strong turnout at their school's athletic events. This seems to be utterly absent at UAlbany. Why is that, and can it be fixed? I think it's great that the other athletic teams, such as the indoor track team, always come out to support the basketball team, but the track team can't be expected to fill the student sections. Where are the other clubs and student groups? Do they feel excluded? Disinterested? Could a beer tent or some other benefit for the students at the games be a solution? Is attending a basketball game viewed as something that only freshman with no fake IDs participate in?

Also, if our goal is to have home games at capacity (i.e., sold out), the first step should be to fill the student sections first. I can almost offer a BPF virtual promise that if every home game had full student sections, the natural effect would be heightened community interest, and getting another 3,000 alumni, fans, and community members to each home game would be easy as done. There are so many people I have run into that have interest in our basketball program but who never really go to the games (often for no particular reason). I know other people who just enjoy college basketball, without much preference to Siena or UA, and elect to go to the Siena games because they like the atmosphere at the TUC when Siena's students are there.

Fill the student sections at the SEFCU, and the environment and fans at the game will multiply exponentially.

My $0.02.

If you read the comments on the blog post you can see the Alumni Association who runs the Daneger Zone is trying a new approach to reach out to students this year..

"Mark, Your blog entry about UAlbany students is simpatico with our plans for the second semester. Through our DANEger Zone efforts (the Alumni Association provides a free t-shirt to every new student at the University) we will partner with the RAs on campus to provide nightly $50 prizes and a culminating season-long iPad giveaway. I agree that many students don’t know what they are missing. We believe adding an incentive for leaders on campus to encourage their residents and friends to attend will add that extra social incentive to get them there. Here’s hoping for a win vs. Colgate tonight."

Barely any read the TU, We don't get their newspapers and I doubt anybody really goes to get their news there.

I do but I'm a weird breed, that has known about this message board for ~3 years.

Edit: Also if you're going to criticize the students that do go to the game, please refrain from it. Alumni we need your help in making the noise too, we can't do it all alone if there's just a small group of us. SEFCU is a large arena.

As well, we were trying to get as loud as we could in the TUC but we accrued no support from the Alumni. Their was a comment on the blog and well honestly we need your help.

There's a handful of alums who do cheer loud and join in with the Defense and Aussie chants but you probably can't hear it from the student section since it's only pockets of people. It's great to see people doing the Aussie chants but (I think I posted it before) you can't really hear it over the announcer since the chant is done right after the basket, maybe wait until the announcer is done. We need to get the U - A chant going this year. Missing it so far this season. Great job though to those dedicated students who do show up and cheer... I can't wait for Aussie Day!

Archived