UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More AUSSIES...MORE MORE MORE! SUNY Australia will reign supreme!

I think it would be a nice gesture if we hung an Australian flag up in the Arena and/or played the Australian national anthem before games in addition to ours. RPI and Union play the Canadian national anthem before college hockey games, do they not? Just a thought, but I think it would be a symbol of appreciation and respect and help the guys feel a little closer to home!

I think it would be a nice gesture if we hung an Australian flag up in the Arena and/or played the Australian national anthem before games in addition to ours. RPI and Union play the Canadian national anthem before college hockey games, do they not? Just a thought, but I think it would be a symbol of appreciation and respect and help the guys feel a little closer to home!

+1

+2

+2

link to the anthem

- uhhhg - how 'bout just a good Aussie chant

Ummm...that's because team's throughout the country feature Canadian players...primarily. Aussie Flag somewhere in the building...sure. National Anthem. NO WAY! Sorry, that's not appropriate. And furthermore, should we play the Denmark National Anthem or Georgian?

Playing the national anthem goes one step too far.

Ummm...that's because team's throughout the country feature Canadian players...primarily. Aussie Flag somewhere in the building...sure. National Anthem. NO WAY! Sorry, that's not appropriate. And furthermore, should we play the Denmark National Anthem or Georgian?

Playing the national anthem goes one step too far.

And we feature Aussie players. Other teams' and their player makeup are irrelevant. I would put up flags for each country that is represented on our team. I recognize that there is also an argument for playing other anthems if we play the Australian anthem. Perhaps rotate or at least play those players' anthems on their respective senior day.

The players have traveled "far" to come here. Hoisting their flags in the arena or playing their anthem on, at a minimum, senior day (or before other games) does not go "too far." Nor do I view it in any way whatsoever un-patriotic. But I also recognize that it may be a sensitive topic (justifiably so or not) for some people in the crowd. But playing other nations' anthems would be a gesture of respect and solidarity. At least for me. How and when those anthems would be played are more difficult questions to answer.

D96: would you be OK with a player's anthem on his senior day?

Would the "world within reach" slogan have any import here? :)

Edited by UA_MA_2000

I would absolutely support playing the anthem on Sr. Day. I would absolutely support having the Aussie flag flying at all times. No questions asked. I've been to the country and have great friends who are Australian. That's not my issue.

The anthem, for every day purposes, is a revered tradition and HOCKEY is the only sport in the U.S. (other than world events) that has another, and only the Canadian, anthem played. The Canadian schools, and junior leagues, return the favor ONLY when a U.S. team comes to play. Believe me, our Canadian offices are located in Kitchener and I've watched a ton of college and pro games in Kitchener, Montreal, Toronto, Guelph, and London, ON. Some traditions are meant to be kept.

In fact, as for my former statement, I am surprised that the school hasn't already put up the Australian, Danish and Georgian flags. It would be a nice touch to hang them somewhere.

Edited by Dane96

I would absolutely support playing the anthem on Sr. Day. I would absolutely support having the Aussie flag flying at all times. No questions asked. I've been to the country and have great friends who are Australian. That's not my issue.

The anthem, for every day purposes, is a revered tradition and HOCKEY is the only sport (other than world events) that has another, and only the Canadian anthem played. Some traditions are meant to be kept.

In fact, as for my former statement, I am surprised that the school hasn't already put up the Australian, Danish and Georgian flags. It would be a nice touch to hang them somewhere.

Your point makes sense. I think hanging the flags at all times and playing anthems on senior day would be the right approach. And the flags would be really cool. Maybe they can take down the Binghamton and Stony Brook flags while they are up there. :)