UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs Vermont (1/26)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot be successful at this level unless you have guards who are at least 6'2 and very atheletic. Iati and Black give it everything they have but they cannot compete against guys who are quicker and 4 or 5 inches taller.

You cannot be successful at this level unless you have guards who are at least 6'2 and very atheletic. Iati and Black give it everything they have but they cannot compete against guys who are quicker and 4 or 5 inches taller.

Not sure that is written in stone. We had some decent success w/ a 6'1" guy named Jamar Wilson a few years back and his running mate at times was John Iati.

Edited by McFan

No, it is not set in stone. But, it is obvious that Vermont, at least, has figured out Iati and probably Black cannot compete well against its bigger guys. Vermont did a great job of shutting them down.

Let's see how the team plays against Stony Brook on Tuesday. In my opinion there is a huge difference between 1st and 2nd, not so much between 2nd and 3rd. The team is 16 and 6, best start in the school' s d1 history and there are rumblings about the coach. Be realistic with expectations and if we win on Tuesday, the team is in great shape.

Let's see how the team plays against Stony Brook on Tuesday. In my opinion there is a huge difference between 1st and 2nd, not so much between 2nd and 3rd. The team is 16 and 6, best start in the school' s d1 history and there are rumblings about the coach. Be realistic with expectations and if we win on Tuesday, the team is in great shape.

No one should blame folks for being frustrated....it's been YEARS since we last beat UVM or BU....YEARS!

No one should blame folks for being frustrated....it's been YEARS since we last beat UVM or BU....YEARS!

Kind of brings up the question people on the board were discussing back in December... does it matter 'who' we beat (whether it's Siena for the Cap Region pride, conf play with BU, UVM, etc) or that we get to the tournament at the end of the season? Is it acceptable for fans if we can get to the tournament this year if we don't beat BU or UVM in regular season.. makes the path that much harder, but is it an acceptable path?

On another note, I agree with everyone that something has to be done to shake things up. Iati is a great kid but his floaters haven't been working and he hasn't been hitting his 3s like he had been. Was interesting to see the offense/defense switch Brown did with Iati and DJ, reminded me of Ambrose and Hastings. I was happy to see they were at least trying that option. Mike has been off his game for some days now, wonder if it's in his head or what because we've seen his talent, he has it, but it's like it's gone MIA. Curious as to what Johnson, Page, Weigmann could bring even if it's just for 10mins or so a game.

honestly...only interest in UA basketball I have at this point is the women's team. This 16-6 team looks completely lost. They look like they have no game plan. Like I said...chuck and pray it goes in. They can play D...but that doesn't help if you barely score 40 pts in a game.

Does anyone honestly think they are beating SB on Tues?

OK bash away--but I DO. You do not go 16-6 by accident, and I think we are a tweak away from breaking the curse of the "top 3". We did not exactly get blown out by BU and VT this weak and for that matter over the 2&22 (or whatever it is) there was what one or two that were not close [VT this year and once @ BU I think]. I like many of the suggestions {Iati needs to sit some and others given more minutes}: but I unlike a lot of you, I do not feel we are inferior to BU,VT or brook. As for the "curse", it is a mental thing (probably media created) and also pure nonsense--we and they are different teams each year and sprinkle in a couple lucky bounces here and there over the years and it means 0.

the issue MsGDG...when was the last time the team was in the tournament?

You are putting up a 5-25 record against those 3 teams combined and not making the tournament.

In 2006-07 we lost both regular season games to UVM and still went to the NCAAs. That's all I'm saying. I agree it makes the road tough and we should be able to compete with top teams no doubt and it's embarrassing that we haven't been able to. We shall see. Even with 16 wins I hope we can turn it around on Tuesday, if we lose... well.. I don't want to think about that right now haha. Going to try and be optimistic.

Edited by MsGDG

This year Coach Brown had me fooled somewhat. A few weeks ago I was ready to concede I'd been mistaken about him. Having watched both the BU and Vermont games on line, I'm backing to my original thinking. I think the players like him, but I do not think he is a winner, not will he ever be at UA.

the issue MsGDG...when was the last time the team was in the tournament?

You are putting up a 5-25 record against those 3 teams combined and not making the tournament.

In 2006-07 we lost both regular season games to UVM and still went to the NCAAs. That's all I'm saying. I agree it makes the road tough and we should be able to compete with top teams no doubt and it's embarrassing that we haven't been able to. We shall see. Even with 16 wins I hope we can turn it around on Tuesday, if we lose... well.. I don't want to think about that right now haha. Going to try and be optimistic.

Again, if we make the tournament fine. But at the same time we still finished 1 or 2 in those years. People in sports get fired for not beating rivals. Just because UA is a mid-major, doesn't mean it should not happen. Again...if the team makes the tournament, I probably won't care. However, since 2006-2007, they have not. If that is the case and your putting up these numbers, it makes you think. These are games that put you in seeding that allow you to win the tournament. UA is coming up way short in that case.

Again, I like Coach Brown. I'm not saying fire him. But I don't get excited seeing this team go to the CBA or NIT.