UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ LCC 12/13 ( not the day whiny patsos wanted)

With all due respect, if you park in the SEFCU lot why on earth would you walk around the building unless you needed to buy tickets?

Well, before earlier this year, I had no idea you could enter from those doors in the back. They are always closed and there are no signs saying you can go in that way. I went to the school, I live less than a mile from campus, and I attend a half dozen or so games a season - and I did not know you were allowed to enter there. So you are right 'Why on earth would anyone walk around?' is a great question. The answer is because most people don't know they can enter that way. The doors don't even have handles on the outside! This is my biggest complaint - the SEFCU is not very welcoming - especially for a casual fan that only goes a few times a year. I think this topic started to move into the how we get more attendance, and my suggestion was merely contributing to what would make me and people like me go more often.

Edited by godanesgo99

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have the "complainers" and yes you are so lets not kid ourselves done for the school outside of complaining on a board about the issue? Have you sat down and talked to Charlie or Mark more than once? (And it's not their job to read a fan board. If you care about the school do it in person with the staff, not just post complaints on a board) Do you volunteer for the school to help educate the students on things related to athletics? That's my issue with the complainers...incorrect facts like "we have no beer", "parking sucks" and "our attendance sucks". We have beer, we have the best attendance in the AE and the parking is like all other 30 schools I've visited when traveling to see UA play basketball. And yes anything can be better, but have your facts straight.

Surprised no one is asking for a dome over the football field because it snows and its cold watching a football game. If you can't walk from Dutch to SEFCU with an umbrella then I don't know what more to tell you. The school isn't going to baby people because they can't take a short walk.

Many people on this board know each other and know what they do for the school. It's the people that no one knows or don't show up to things that have the biggest mouths and no action.

Why don't we just find last year's "attendance and students suck" thread and paste the link so we can just be done with it since it goes in circles with the same people every year. <_<

Typical self righteous indignation. Any and all suggestions, criticism (constructive or otherwise) is always met with..well, yeah, how many tens of thousands have you contributed, have you pounded on the doors of the athletic dept? The underlying idea is that if you are a) not throwing cash at the school or b ) are not sitting in Bensons office you have no right to say anything. Complete and utter stupidity and BS. Nothing but mindless worshiping at the alter and trying to consistently shut anyone up who isn't on their knees thanking UA for allowing us the privilege of viewing the athletic events we all love. Apparently the only way you can ingratiate ones-self is to picket the offices of the athletic dept. No other forms of communication are valid in this neanderthal world-view.

There is such a disconnect here with who should be courting whom that it's frightening. God forbid he has your approach and mentality on how to grow a program. Yes, it's my job to schedule weekly meetings with Benson and not his job to reach out to me and ask what my thoughts are on the program. Maybe if I drove around the North East and patted myself on the back to the point of breaking my own arm off, you know, like a "real fans" my voice would carry more weight.

If this discussion bothers you so much, maybe give the rest of us complainers a break. Or should we only discuss things that are MsGDG approved? And if so...can you provide a list of approved topics?

Edited by Clickclack

With all due respect, if you park in the SEFCU lot why on earth would you walk around the building unless you needed to buy tickets?

Well before earlier this year, I had no idea you could enter from those doors in the back. They are always closed and there are no signs saying you can go in that way. I went to the school, I live less than a mile from campus, and I attend a half dozen or so games a season - and I did not know you were allowed to enter there. So you are right 'Why on earth would anyone walk around?' is a great question. The answer is because most people don't know they can enter another way. This is my biggest complaint - the SEFCU is not very welcoming - especially for a casual fan that only goes a few times a year.

Fair enough, it is a nondescript entrance, I can see how folks can miss it.

What have the "complainers" and yes you are so lets not kid ourselves done for the school outside of complaining on a board about the issue? Have you sat down and talked to Charlie or Mark more than once? (And it's not their job to read a fan board. If you care about the school do it in person with the staff, not just post complaints on a board) Do you volunteer for the school to help educate the students on things related to athletics? That's my issue with the complainers...incorrect facts like "we have no beer", "parking sucks" and "our attendance sucks". We have beer, we have the best attendance in the AE and the parking is like all other 30 schools I've visited when traveling to see UA play basketball. And yes anything can be better, but have your facts straight.

Surprised no one is asking for a dome over the football field because it snows and its cold watching a football game. If you can't walk from Dutch to SEFCU with an umbrella then I don't know what more to tell you. The school isn't going to baby people because they can't take a short walk.

Many people on this board know each other and know what they do for the school. It's the people that no one knows or don't show up to things that have the biggest mouths and no action.

Why don't we just find last year's "attendance and students suck" thread and paste the link so we can just be done with it since it goes in circles with the same people every year. <_<

Typical self righteous indignation. Any and all suggestions, criticism (constructive or otherwise) is always met with..well, yeah, how many tens of thousands have you contributed, have you pounded on the doors of the athletic dept? The underlying idea is that if you are a) not throwing cash at the school or B) are not sitting in Bensons office you have no right to say anything. Complete and utter stupidity and BS. Nothing but mindless worshiping at the alter and trying to consistently shut anyone up who isn't on their knees thanking UA for allowing us the privilege of viewing the athletic events we all love. Apparently the only way you can ingratiate ones-self is to picket the offices of the athletic dept. No other forms of communication are valid in this neanderthal world-view.

There is such a disconnect here with who should be courting whom that it's frightening. God forbid he has your approach and mentality on how to grow a program. Yes, it's my job to schedule weekly meetings with Benson and not his job to reach out to me and ask him what my thoughts are on the program. Maybe if I drove around the North East and patted myself on the back to the point of breaking my own arm off, you know, like a "real fans" my voice would carry more weight.

If this discussion bothers you so much, maybe give the rest of us complainers a break. Or should we only discuss things that are MsGDG approved? And if so...can you provide a list of approved topics?

When did donations get brought up? If you think donating gets you access then you have no idea what you're talking about. I donate my time more than anything to the school.

Some people complain online and never speak up in person to staff and wait for a survey.

Others complain to people in person and try to get things done. Simple as that. Trust me I hate the athletic department as much as most people, if not more. But I talk to them about it because I want to see a change. And I'm not someone who will sit around and wait for a survey.

Pardon me for wanting people to have their facts straight instead of complaining about untruths like beer and attendance. Sorry for bringing in real facts. If you read my posts you'd see my issue is with facts and people basing their complaining on untruths. We know that's not a strong point for some people on here since "facts" is something always argued about on here or the lack of them. And if bringing up facts and doing things for the school is self righteous then damn straight I am..but I also know a ton of people on here that have the same opinion as me..but just don't voice it on forums. They do it in the real world in person..and laugh about the BPF crazies who have no idea what's going on outside of the forum.

We'll agree to disagree on how to make change at the school and the use of facts and figures. Works for me.

Edited by MsGDG

Typical self righteous indignation. Any and all suggestions, criticism (constructive or otherwise) is always met with..well, yeah, how many tens of thousands have you contributed, have you pounded on the doors of the athletic dept? The underlying idea is that if you are a) not throwing cash at the school or B) are not sitting in Bensons office you have no right to say anything. Complete and utter stupidity and BS. Nothing but mindless worshiping at the alter and trying to consistently shut anyone up who isn't on their knees thanking UA for allowing us the privilege of viewing the athletic events we all love. Apparently the only way you can ingratiate ones-self is to picket the offices of the athletic dept. No other forms of communication are valid in this neanderthal world-view.

There is such a disconnect here with who should be courting whom that it's frightening. God forbid he has your approach and mentality on how to grow a program. Yes, it's my job to schedule weekly meetings with Benson and not his job to reach out to me and ask him what my thoughts are on the program. Maybe if I drove around the North East and patted myself on the back to the point of breaking my own arm off, you know, like a "real fans" my voice would carry more weight.

When did donations get brought up? If you think donating gets you access then you have no idea what you're talking about. I donate my time more than anything to the school.

Some people complain online and never speak up in person to staff and wait for a survey.

Others complain to people in person and try to get things done. Simple as that. Trust me I hate the athletic department as much as most people, if not more. But I talk to them about it because I want to see a change. And I'm not someone who will sit around and wait for a survey.

Pardon me for wanting people to have their facts straight instead of complaining about untruths like beer and attendance. Sorry for bringing in real facts. We know that's no a strong point for some people on here since "facts" is something always argued about on here or the lack of them. And if bringing up facts and doing things for the school is self righteous then damn straight I am..but I also know a ton of people on here that have the same opinion as me..but just don't voice it on forums. They do it in the real world in person..and laugh about the BPF crazies who have no idea what's going on outside of the forum.

Donations? I had a well respected member of this board and UA community who has access to donor records call me out here publicly that I didn't give enough money in a conversation similar to this where said person didn't like criticism levied at the school.

Educate people and bring the facts instead of telling us how great you are and how much you do for the school. Maybe it isn't your intention but to me and in my opinion, you come off as a snob who knows what is "really going on" while the rest of us plebs just as you put it are a bunch of "crazies".

They, UA, are running a business, and don't kid yourself it's a business. What type of proactive outreach have they engaged in...I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by Clickclack

Pardon me for wanting people to have their facts straight instead of complaining about untruths like beer and attendance. Sorry for bringing in real facts.

Like my comment above RE: the doors in the back by the parking lot that don't have handles or signs that you can enter that way - do not go off of people for saying there is no beer. I was at the Maine game and I was thirsty. Would have loved a cold beer. I went to the concession stand just before halftime. I grabbed a poweraid, or whatever it was, and then joked about wanting to buy a beer - but they didn't have any - with the cashier. Halftime was going to start in just a few minutes. Did the cashier tell me I could go to a special room and buy a beer to correct my assumption that I couldn't get one? Are there signs or advertisements for a beer friendly room? Not that I have seen.

If the school and program wants more attendance - they need to think like a service industry. How do I let people know about the great amenities and how do I make people's time as comfortable as possible? It's a business, and if they want to grow the program they need to treat it as such or they will fail.

And to your other question - I have never spoken with Mr Benson, but I did meet the previous regime. I have sent several e-mails on various topics to the current regime - and never received a single response. Not even an acknowledgment.

Edited by godanesgo99

Pardon me for wanting people to have their facts straight instead of complaining about untruths like beer and attendance. Sorry for bringing in real facts.

Like my comment above RE: the doors in the back by the parking lot that don't have handles or signs that you can enter that way - do not go off of people for saying there is no beer. I was at the Maine game and I was thirsty. Would have loved a cold beer. I went to the concession stand just before halftime. I grabbed a poweraid or whatever it was and joked about wanting to buy a beer but they didn't have any with the cashier. Halftime was going to start in just a few minutes. Did the cashier tell me I could go to a special room and buy a beer to correct my incorrect assumption that I couldn't get one? Are there signs or advertisements for a beer friendly room? Not that I have seen.

If the school and program wants more attendance - they need to think like a service industry. How do I let people know about the great amenities and how do I make people's time as comfortable as possible? It's a business, and if they want to grow the program they need to treat it as such or they will fail.

And to your other question - I have never spoken with Mr Benson, but I did meet the previous regime. I have sent several e-mails on various topics to the current regime - and never received a single response. Not even an acknowledgment.

It's your job to ask...they are doing you a favor.

Pardon me for wanting people to have their facts straight instead of complaining about untruths like beer and attendance. Sorry for bringing in real facts. We know that's no a strong point for some people on here since "facts" is something always argued about on here or the lack of them. And if bringing up facts and doing things for the school is self righteous then damn straight I am..but I also know a ton of people on here that have the same opinion as me..but just don't voice it on forums. They do it in the real world in person..and laugh about the BPF crazies who have no idea what's going on outside of the forum.

Donations? I had a well respected member of this board and UA community who has access to donor records call me out here publicly that I didn't give enough money.

Then educate people and bring the facts instead of telling us how great you are and how much you do for the school. Maybe it isn't your intention but to me and in my opinion, you come off as a snob who knows what is "really going on" while the rest of us plebs just as you put it are a bunch of "crazies".

They, UA, are running a business, and don't kid yourself it's a business. What type of proactive outreach have they engaged in...I'll hang up and listen.

If someone called you out for donations that's fine to bring it up, but I didn't.

I know what's going on with the school since I communicate with staff and involve myself with the school. That's all I've ever said. And that's not touting what I do. I bring it up because I'm explaing how easy it is for anyone to do it and you don't need to open your checkbook to create relationships.

That's how people learn about "what's really going on". Many times the truth isn't really posted here on the forum or the internet..which is why people talk about things outside of it. That's not just UA's Athletic Department, that's anything in real life. There is always a backstory and most the time it isn't hard to figure out what it is. You just have to listen to people and talk to them.

Donations? I had a well respected member of this board and UA community who has access to donor records call me out here publicly that I didn't give enough money.

Then educate people and bring the facts instead of telling us how great you are and how much you do for the school. Maybe it isn't your intention but to me and in my opinion, you come off as a snob who knows what is "really going on" while the rest of us plebs just as you put it are a bunch of "crazies".

If someone called you out for donations that's fine to bring it up, but I didn't.

I know what's going on with the school since I communicate with staff and involve myself with the school. That's all I've ever said. And that's not touting what I do. I bring it up because I'm explaing how easy it is for anyone to do it and you don't need to open your checkbook to create relationships.

That's how people learn about "what's really going on". Many times the truth isn't really posted here on the forum or the internet..which is why people talk about things outside of it. That's not just UA's Athletic Department, that's anything in real life. There is always a backstory and most the time it isn't hard to figure out what it is. You just have to listen to people and talk to them.

Listen, you have on numerous occasions indicated that there are ways to communicate with the school. Like you I have had a number conversations in e-mail and in person with various coaches, Dr. McElroy when he was around etc. I agree, in my past experience they have been pretty accessible, lately though it's been dead quiet on the AD side. Trust me, I make an effort.

Again, I asked you a very simply question, can you recall any initiative on the part of the school to solicit opinions of at least the season ticket population. Yes or no? If yes, when and if no, is it not their job and in their interest?

Edited by Clickclack

Listen, you have on numerous occasions indicated that there are ways to communicate with the school. Like you I have had a number conversations in e-mail and in person with various coaches, Dr. McElroy when he was around etc. I agree, in my past experience they have been pretty accessible, lately though it's been dead quiet on the AD side. Trust me, I make an effort.

Again, I asked you a very simply question, can you recall any initiative on the part of the school to solicit opinions of at least the season ticket population. Yes or no? If yes, when and if no, is it not their job and in their interest?

No the current admin hasn't. But I also know he is focusing on getting his staffing correct before he does anything else. I assume after the department makes its changes then we'll see what you're looking for.

Thanks for making a new thread on this topic. This will be my last post in the thread unless the topic gets back to LCC, the Albany Cup, and how much I wish that UA would just walk away if they don't get 100% parity - if not a kicker because it has been so bad for so long. Any more suggestions on how to make attendance better and how to improve SEFCU will be in the new thread.

Hey, hey, hey Bigpurplefans lets all get our undies untangled here. Biting sarcasm and truths from Mrs. always hurt like a Great Dane chomping on your privates;). My beer, attendance, and whimpy walking statements were relevant in that I thought the idea was a "beer garden" like football has where you can watch the game live with a frosty, we should always look for ways to improve the experience / attendance not settle for comparisons with other AEast schools, and it seems I'm not alone in the parking suggestion - I'm really trying to think like the average Joe who needs reasons to come and campus and a good experience to come back. There's nothing that can easily be done about the parking but it still should be part of planning.

Finally, if Benson has time to consistently reply to fan emails he should be fired because he needs to focus on the bigggggg picture and bigger $. Associates, interns, ... that's what they should be very attentive at.

Can't wait to see the arena more full when the students come back!

Thanks for making a new thread on this topic. This will be my last post in the thread unless the topic gets back to LCC, the Albany Cup, and how much I wish that UA would just walk away if they don't get 100% parity - if not a kicker because it has been so bad for so long. Any more suggestions on how to make attendance better and how to improve SEFCU will be in the new thread.

ooops - you're right

So, I would spend my money on incentives that would build season ticket sale and more community interest. As 72 said putting 900 in the student section is nice, but how about filling the 3600 other seats first.

100% agree. An average basketball fan would rather spend the money and go watch a game at the Times Union center because of the amenities than at SEFCU. How does UA plan to steal those fans away from Siena and make a game more attractive than the actual team.

If that is true, then that is the "average basketball fans" lost.

As someone who has been to almost 600 venues, the Knick is towards the bottom of my list. The sightlines for both hockey and basketball stink. To say nothing about the narrow hallways. I much rather drive the hour to Glens Falls to see a hockey game and seeing the game is the most important thing to me.

The food is at the knick is barely edible and the beer selection and taps are poor not that I am deciding whiich games to go to by arena food.

Edited by bob87

I'm sorry, but you'd never convince me that someone doesn't attend because the scoreboard is antiquated. Same with the food; No one's going to the game for the "dinner". If you don't want to see the 2 time (women 3 time) defending AE champions play, that's a shame. Also if you're a student, it's free. Please list the incentives for other schools that are consistently used to entice the student body to games. We've had free pizza this year already. I think the best idea is to get more students from the states which are more "rabid" about sports in general, Texas, Georgia, Florida, etc. SoCal dane has lived there he can probably attest.