UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ LCC 12/13 ( not the day whiny patsos wanted)

When I was in school, we had just gone d2. I went to a bunch of games, but once the weather was cold - I stopped. Making the walk from Colonial Quad to the RAAC was not happening in Jan/February. Maybe if the added a shuttle across campus and advertised it heavily more would go (they probably do this today, but I have no idea).

I remember after every 3 pointer hit by UA they gave away a free Mild Wally's Pizza to a random seat. At the beginning of each game, a random seat was chosen for an upgrade to a courtside leather couch seat for up to 4 fans, and they delivered food and beverages to your couch for free during the game. I always wanted to sit there, but never had the chance. I was always so disappointed when my seat wasnt drawn.

I will echo what everyone else is saying about the lack of quality concessions being one of the reasons why I don't go to more home games (along with the fact that they schedule so many on Wednesday nights and I can't go then due to another commitment).

My biggest complaint about SEFCU is access to the building in the winter. Even if you pay for parking, you still have to walk a real long way around the building to get to the main entrance - in an area known for harsh blowing winds and a fairly poor lit pass. Sometimes they open the doors in the back by the lot and allow you in with your tickets there (dropping you off on the floor level) but not many people know you can enter that way - and it just feels wrong, so I only use that entrance on the coldest/windiest of games.

From a renovation perspective - I would love for them to build out a good 50-100 feet towards the parking lot/stadium entrance - and build a nice entrance to the facility on that side of the building. It would make the place more appealing, have room for concessions on both sides of the arena - and also be a nice showcase of the arena for when people are at football games. Then once you have entrances on both sides of the building, concessions on both sides of the arena - make all of the seats chairback. Fill in the corners to make it be more of a 'bowl' feel. This would probably end up keeping the seating capacity at around 5,000 but it would be more comfortable, a video scoreboard would also help. I know I would make it to more games.

Edited by godanesgo99

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in school, we had just gone d2. I went to a bunch of games, but once the weather was cold - I stopped. Making the walk from Colonial Quad to the RAAC was not happening in Jan/February. Maybe if the added a shuttle across campus and advertised it heavily more would go (they probably do this today, but I have no idea).

I remember after every 3 pointer hit by UA they gave away a free Mild Wally's Pizza to a random seat. At the beginning of each game, a random seat was chosen for an upgrade to a courtside leather couch seat for up to 4 fans, and they delivered food and beverages to your couch for free during the game. I always wanted to sit there, but never had the chance. I was always so disappointed when my seat wasnt drawn.

I will echo what everyone else is saying about the lack of quality concessions being one of the reasons why I don't go to more home games (along with the fact that they schedule so many on Wednesday nights and I can't go then due to another commitment).

My biggest complaint about SEFCU is access to the building in the winter. Even if you pay for parking, you still have to walk a real long way around the building to get to the main entrance - in an area known for harsh blowing winds and a fairly poor lit pass. Sometimes they open the doors in the back by the lot and allow you in with your tickets there (dropping you off on the floor level) but not many people know you can enter that way - and it just feels wrong, so I only use that entrance on the coldest/windiest of games.

From a renovation perspective - I would love for them to build out a good 50-100 feet towards the parking lot/stadium entrance - and build a nice entrance to the facility on that side of the building. It would make the place more appealing, have room for concessions on both sides of the arena - and also be a nice showcase of the arena for when people are at football games. Then once you have entrances on both sides of the building, concessions on both sides of the arena - make all of the seats chairback. Fill in the corners to make it be more of a 'bowl' feel. This would probably end up keeping the seating capacity at around 5,000 but it would be more comfortable, a video scoreboard would also help. I know I would make it to more games.

With all due respect, if you park in the SEFCU lot why on earth would you walk around the building unless you needed to buy tickets?

With all due respect, if you park in the SEFCU lot why on earth would you walk around the building unless you needed to buy tickets?

That's what I think he was saying, to buy a ticket you have to go to the upper level on the other side of the building. They really should fix that, I've thought that to myself as well in the past. They need someone selling tickets at that back door too. Just one person would be enough.

The seat upgrade thing, etc. he mentioned would definitely be neat. I've been thinking about paying for a courtside seat just once to see what it's like (never sat courtside or ringside at any event). Maybe next game.

Edited by Ilko

What have the "complainers" and yes you are so lets not kid ourselves done for the school outside of complaining on a board about the issue? Have you sat down and talked to Charlie or Mark more than once? (And it's not their job to read a fan board. If you care about the school do it in person with the staff, not just post complaints on a board) Do you volunteer for the school to help educate the students on things related to athletics? That's my issue with the complainers...incorrect facts like "we have no beer", "parking sucks" and "our attendance sucks". We have beer, we have the best attendance in the AE and the parking is like all other 30 schools I've visited when traveling to see UA play basketball. And yes anything can be better, but have your facts straight.

Surprised no one is asking for a dome over the football field because it snows and its cold watching a football game. If you can't walk from Dutch to SEFCU with an umbrella then I don't know what more to tell you. The school isn't going to baby people because they can't take a short walk.

Many people on this board know each other and know what they do for the school. It's the people that no one knows or don't show up to things that have the biggest mouths and no action.

Why don't we just find last year's "attendance and students suck" thread and paste the link so we can just be done with it since it goes in circles with the same people every year. <_<

Edited by MsGDG

MY 2¢. I an 65 and park @ Dutch for bb; and for football behind western ave admin (near Liberty) and I do not mind the walks. I actually think including free parking and/or vip parking might be an incentive to increase season ticket sales. To save the wife from having to rush a meal on game night/day I often pick up a quick bite @ one of the local fast-food establishments; it certainly would be nice to be able to do this right in Sefcu or at Bofo, but the food is terrible, over priced and no options. Better and more convenient concessions in my opinion would not only be an enticement, but might also be a revenue source. {even when only 4000-6000 are @ the carrier dome for lacrosse, the concessions are packed and doing a booming business.} Lastly, in my opinion a renovated SEFCU with new scoreboard, more purple/gold, and better concessions should be a much higher priority than listed on the UA 5/10 year strategic plan.

In summary, my opinion our growth has too come from the community. Incentive for students is nice, but the paying community is where we need to build. So, I would spend my money on incentives that would build season ticket sale and more community interest. As 72 said putting 900 in the student section is nice, but how about filling the 3600 other seats first.

What have the "complainers" and yes you are so lets not kid ourselves done for the school outside of complaining on a board about the issue? Have you sat down and talked to Charlie or Mark more than once? (And it's not their job to read a fan board. If you care about the school do it in person with the staff, not just post complaints on a board) Do you volunteer for the school to help educate the students on things related to athletics? That's my issue with the complainers...incorrect facts like "we have no beer", "parking sucks" and "our attendance sucks". We have beer, we have the best attendance in the AE and the parking is like all other 30 schools I've visited when traveling to see UA play basketball. And yes anything can be better, but have your facts straight.

Surprised no one is asking for a dome over the football field because it snows and its cold watching a football game. If you can't walk from Dutch to SEFCU with an umbrella then I don't know what more to tell you. The school isn't going to baby people because they can't take a short walk.

Many people on this board know each other and know what they do for the school. It's the people that no one knows or don't show up to things that have the biggest mouths and no action.

Why don't we just find last year's "attendance and students suck" thread and paste the link so we can just be done with it since it goes in circles with the same people every year. <_<

I'm not here to argue with you, but this is an internet forum/discussion board. People are allowed to express their feelings and opinions whether positive or negative. Instead of questioning what people have done maybe you can pass it along since we don't have the avenues and accessibility to sit down and speak to Mark and Charlie.

I'm not here to argue with you, but this is an internet forum/discussion board. People are allowed to express their feelings and opinions whether positive or negative. Instead of questioning what people have done maybe you can pass it along since we don't have the avenues and accessibility to sit down and speak to Mark and Charlie.

I agree people can have +/- views and posting them is fine. Posting incorrect facts is what bothers me. If people are going to complain they use correct statements. As soon as people say something that's not true, your whole argument falls apart.

I don't have special avenues either. Both are at every football and basketball game and stand in the lobby. They also come to many season ticket holder events or award dinners. Walk up to them and talk to them. That's what they are there for. They need people to talk to them so they know what fans think and then they can tell you what they are working on, etc. That's how you create relationships with athletic staff.

Edited by MsGDG

So, I would spend my money on incentives that would build season ticket sale and more community interest. As 72 said putting 900 in the student section is nice, but how about filling the 3600 other seats first.

100% agree. An average basketball fan would rather spend the money and go watch a game at the Times Union center because of the amenities than at SEFCU. How does UA plan to steal those fans away from Siena and make a game more attractive than the actual team.

About Beer. I do not drink, but I believe the beer sales in the Hall room is for donors only. I could be wrong, but if it is open to the general public, it certainly is not advertised as being available.

Beer and wine sales started last year. It is open to the general public. My understanding is donors receive a free drink or two for each game. As I mentioned previously..it's "open" before the game and during halftime. When I've been in there..the place is pretty packed during halftime..and they also stream the game on the tv there for fans to want to watch the game while finishing their drink(s).

I think that was a 'shot fired' at me since no one really knows who I am. That is by design.

(for the record, I have emailed a few people in the AD over the years - don't know if those emails ever got sent up the chain but don't care - I did my part)

I had a longer response typed up, but I'll just bite my tongue for the most part. I will say this though: Benson's job is to reach out to me (perhaps via a survey, as Click suggested), not the other way around. Standing in the lobby waiting for people to approach him is not leadership nor is it 'community engagement'. IMO.

We can agree to disagree.

Edited by Ilko

Complainers from one side of things, and complainers from the other side of things. There's a lot of people here that aren't afraid

of rambling on, overly expressing their opinion, and proving themselves superior. Some may or may not qualify as a hozicon.

DP, maybe it's time to put this thread to rest

So, I would spend my money on incentives that would build season ticket sale and more community interest. As 72 said putting 900 in the student section is nice, but how about filling the 3600 other seats first.

100% agree. An average basketball fan would rather spend the money and go watch a game at the Times Union center because of the amenities than at SEFCU. How does UA plan to steal those fans away from Siena and make a game more attractive than the actual team.

We don't need to steal any fans... Metro area has close to a million people... 20k students on campus. There are more than enough bodies and sports loving folks to tap into.