UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Asses In The Seats?

Well...winning takes care of all. This was just proven by UA's post on Twitter/FB:

They released 500 extra student tickets (which are free) on top of the 1000 they had released initially. Looks like the students are behind this team.

As Click has said many many times...win and they will come.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But not just from the lot...I think, similar to godanesgo's wife, many students skip games when it's -10 outside. I know I would. I've made the walk from the lecture center right after class to a game...one time in the rain. Even with an umbrella, it absolutely SUCKED. It's dark between the science library and the track and I stepped in a puddle I didn't see. Have a shuttle that stops at the dorms and one that stops at the lot to bring the driving fans. It's not hard to get 4-5 buses going every 5 minutes similar to how Brutus mentioned Ohio State was doing it. I think if they did this, they'd see 40-50 more students easy.

Need to clarify that the bus shuttles from the park-and rides in Columbus were provided by COTA (like CDTA here) and not from OSU, as they saw it as a revenue generator for them on game day. I don't know if OSU shared in the sponsorship or profits. Plus we're talking about probably several thousands of people taking advantage of the service which includes both home and away spectators. Not quite the same around here, but it could be a start.

Edited by Brutus

People are making it seem like there are 500 people at games and that attendance or lack of buses really hurts it. I personally don't buy it, it's no wonder that with this exceptional season attendance is booming. Look at the last month...JUST WIN! Trust me, it fixes a lot of issues...

Edited by Clickclack

WIN

WIN

WIN

Better Food

Better Apparel Store offerings

Better Giveaways - (forget the TV, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats) $100 restaurant gift certificates, Ipads, Bookstore gift cards.......make it moderately difficult to win

Team nights, local as well as University (require majority of team to attend)

Corporate nights

Bring back the courtside couches (although i didn't like having to go to pizza hut in the CC and then heat the pizzas!)

2 shuttle buses from Dutch to SEFCU turnaround, shuttle from Colonial, State, Freedom, Empire & Liberty

Season Ticket Holder perks (weeknight pre-game buffet in hall of fame room ?)

Special Events - like Thompson autograph signing (should have been selling lax balls to get signed, signed helmet/stick/gloves raffle) Bud Light Daredevils (Best D2 game night EVER)

Maybe I've been earning a living for too long, but I'm not going to sit through a boring basketball game for a chance at a free TV.... especially if my team loses.

There are great studies on increase in hormone production (at least in males) when their home teams win or lose, even if they only sit on the couch:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9811365

There's a lot to this -- the biggest bump is if you play a team that's "close", and pull out a win. How many of us have felt that joy ! Of course the Danes could never beat the Tar Heels (who could - those kids can't even read... - only major in basketball !) But when we knock down Vermont or another great rival, well, it feels good. Like monkeys on cocaine, we come back for more.

That and change the $*@&! name. I can't even SAY "You-Albany" - there's no consonant break ! Let's just be Albany University (or University of Albany) and be done with it. Nobody will confuse us with that school in Georgia any more than the Indiana University of Pennsylvania is confused with Penn, or the Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis is confused with Indiana or Purdue (what's with Indiana anyway!)

Again, don't think it's just about winning. We've been doing that since 05-06. 4 tournaments, and 4 impressive NCAA showings, with exception of the Virginia game with Singeltary and the other guard (cant remember name), where we were pretty much out of the game from the jump.

In between those years were some tough times and coach said it himself. Recruited guys that he wouldn't have normally went after off of the first two NCAAs. Looks like we've got something now and will continue to be at the top of the america east like vermont and stony brook year in and out.

Evidently it isn't about winning. Don't know if it's because it was a wednesday night or because Maine flat out sucks, but todays crowd was a HUGE disappointment. I doubt they even got rid of the first 1000 student tickets, so not sure why they released another 500 on top of that.

Edited by Ilko

Evidently it isn't about winning. Don't know if it's because it was a wednesday night or because Maine flat out sucks, but todays crowd was a HUGE disappointment. I doubt they even got rid of the first 1000 student tickets, so not sure why they released another 500 on top of that.

There is always more than 1 factor with crowds . Winning helps . But so do weekends . Just look at the countless Major League Baseball teams and other pro sports that charge different(higher for higher demand games ) prices for different games .

Apparently since the team played so well this year the game by game attendance is the new roller coaster for some

Edited by bob87

I am a 2004 graduate which was not that long ago when sporting events were NOT even an option. In 10 short years to make it to the top of the conference in attendence is very impressive considering the history and part of the community in Vermont. In following the team and this board it looks as if the fans come out for the quality rivalry games vs Vermont and Stony Brook. I'm assuming excitement is building as we get closer to the NCAAs. The next game will build and the championship will be a tough ticket. Missing out on the Maine game on a Wednesday night 1 vs 8 seed probable blowout not on the top of the list for students who Wednesday is the rare off

Night party wise and families not going to be out late for work/school for a 1 vs 8 Maine matchup. Again as an 04 grad meaningful March basketball and top attendence in AE was a pipe dream when I was there. Its still the AE. Theres still games people are not going to leave the dorms/homes for vs Maine and UMBC. We will slowly take over the local fan base from Siena as long as CB keeps doing what hes doing. Patience. Im still in shock seeing Albany in the March Madness Bracket. Ive been following the team for years. My friends all made fun of me who attended Albany. Those same friends now text me when we beat Vermont or start to see we are again tourney contenders. It takes time. We made it from the bottom to here. The hard part is over!! Enjoy the fan base is developing trust me!

I had a conversation with a bunch of UA Students last night. These were your typical 'sports fan' guys. Of the 25+ kids I was talking to, none of them could name a single starter on this years team, and the only name they could come up with was Peter Hooley. I was truly disappointed. If a group of guys, all in a fraternity, that are all your typical sports fan type guys can't name a starter on this team - then something is wrong at the University and their internal marketing.

I love the billboard on I90 I saw this morning, and a couple of days ago while wearing a Purple UA shirt I had multiple people start conversations with me about this years team - so the area locals are starting to follow and get involved - the student issue needs to be fixed. Not only for "Asses in the Seats" today, but with future Alumni support.

There is no internal marketing, that is the problem. Other than an email here or there (seems like more frequent now due to the student ticket releases), as I've said before there is nothing on campus screaming "WE HAVE AWESOME SPORTS!". No fliers, no events, no notices on boards...just some lousy emails a day or two before a game.

School spirit? Doesn't exist at UAlbany. Granted, I am an almost full-time night student, so maybe at night it's different but...that's what I see (or don't see) when I walk around the campus to my classes.

With a sellout Saturday, season attendance will be over 50,000 for the first time, average will be 3390, 75% capacity and a record by more than 200 per game. Only the Fairfield game just before Xmas and the Maine game on New Year's weekend were under 2500.

With a sellout Saturday, season attendance will be over 50,000 for the first time, average will be 3390, 75% capacity and a record by more than 200 per game. Only the Fairfield game just before Xmas and the Maine game on New Year's weekend were under 2500.

That's pretty incredible...this has been some season. Let's finish the home slate with a bang.