UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: @SB 1/22 9pm

On ESPNU at 9pm.

Stony Brook beat Hartford by 34 today. Another 30+ win against an AE opponent.

Our team has to be running on all cylinders Friday to have a shot.

Winter storm coming Friday to the northeast. Hopefully they will be traveling down early enough so weather won't be an issue.

Edited by MRSGDG

Pomeroy has SB as a 8 point favorite (which includes the few points for home court advantage).

I won't be mad if we lose since SB is very good. I'll be disappointed of course. What I'll be mad at is if we lose by more than 15.

When we played them last year, did Rich ever guard Warney or did Sam? If Rich did, does anyone remember how he did? I also haven't seen how SB plays (pace) this year. Rich doesn't do well in fast paced games running and up down the court ( or thats at least my perception). Hope they aren't like that. Anyone know?

I agree S.B. looks tough but c'mon all, WE ARE the 3 time defending champs....WE won't be intimidated...there is zero pressure on UA this year against them....let's see if they step up to the plate....UA plays with house money until SB proves they are the better TEAM!!!! Ive said it before.....stop Purifoy first, Warney will do his thing, I don't have issue with that....I think WE are catching them at a good time after the wakeup call against Maine...last night was a good bounce back, time to take our 3X team down to the Island and show SB WHO THE DEFENDING CHAMPS ARE!!!

Sigh. Click is right. End of discussion. If we could send body after body at Warney we'd be fine. Not having Charles is a big loss for us...bigger than people think. I honestly believe one of Rowley or Stire will be in foul trouble this game.

That means we'd have to play flawless at the 1-3 spots against a team that wants to beat the ever living you know what against us.

All that aside, the game only means something for playoff seeding and SBU's ego at this point. All I expect/want is a competitive game against a hungry team. Make no bones about it, SBU expects to lose no more than 2 games in conference with a team that goes a legit 9 deep.

Purchased my tickets for the game Friday online at SBU site. $22 per ticket for the last row in section 201 behind UA bench! Thats all that was left on that side so it may be a sellout. Seemed a bit pricey to me. Enjoyed the game last year with my buddy, a SB grad sitting next to me. The only sad part was finding out why Peter wasn't there as he had just flown back home. Just be competitive and keep it close at the end. We all know how tight Warney and Purifoy get on the line :D .

I brought a friend to the game last night who hadn't been to an Albany game in a long time. He was claiming that you have to make sure that their top player doesn't beat you. Play him tough. We shut out Lyles in the second half of the UMBC game and it ended in a win. In the Maine game, we played poor defense and Vann beat us (in UA's defense, I'm not sure they knew they had to key in on him). Last night the team beat up on Rodriguez and stopped him from beating us.

I agreed for the most part, but I instantly said that it should not be the strategy against SBU. Warney is a monster and we know he is going to get a double double. You have to play him tough but honestly, the winning strategy against him is to realize that he is gonna get what he is gonna get. The focus should be on shutting everyone else down. Warney can be a monster - but many people don't realize that his greatest strength as a big man and the one that is making him a NBA prospect is his passing ability. I read that in the Hartford game they tried to focus on him and he would just pop to the high post and as the defense collapsed on him he was incredible at finding the open man for an uncontested shot.

I remember Big Rich doing a decent job on him last year, but I think I would rather see Mike Rowley on him. They are the same height so it's not like UA loses there, but I think Rowley can play more physical than Rich does. He just seems stronger and more able to bang with him. I love watching Big Rich work in the paint and watching him box out. The combo of the two of them should do a good job. My biggest issue with Rich so far this year is that I do not see him trying to be aggressive on the offensive side. He typically sits at the post on the week side then works hard for position. As someone who is trying to get his son to work harder on the boards - Rich is a great example to tell my son to watch, but I do not see him trying to get the ball and make moves in the paint to score. Watch some of his offensive highlights. He has some of the best moves around the basket for a player his size, and is a pleasure to watch sometimes. He just doesn't seem to try to get that many chances. I want to see them feed the ball to both Rich and Rowley and have them post Warney up. Bring it to him and get him in foul trouble. It would open the outside shot.

I went off on a tangent, but what I was trying to say is - in this game - let Warney get his, just stop him from creating for others on the team and UA can win the game.

Edited by godanesgo99

I agree. There is no sense in trying to stop Warney from doing what he does. The most important thing is to keep the bigs out of foul trouble, because if that happens and they wind up having to defend him with Ennema, well, good luck Dallas. When you do foul him, make it count and don't let him get the and-1's. If you're going to put him on the line, make sure he's shooting 2.

They also cannot give up as many turnovers as they have been. Have to be smart with the basketball and value each possession.

I brought a friend to the game last night who hadn't been to an Albany game in a long time. He was claiming that you have to make sure that their top player doesn't beat you. Play him tough. We shut out Lyles in the second half of the UMBC game and it ended in a win. In the Maine game, we played poor defense and Vann beat us (in UA's defense, I'm not sure they knew they had to key in on him). Last night the team beat up on Rodriguez and stopped him from beating us.

I agreed for the most part, but I instantly said that it should not be the strategy against SBU. Warney is a monster and we know he is going to get a double double. You have to play him tough but honestly, the winning strategy against him is to realize that he is gonna get what he is gonna get. The focus should be on shutting everyone else down. Warney can be a monster - but many people don't realize that his greatest strength as a big man and the one that is making him a NBA prospect is his passing ability. I read that in the Hartford game they tried to focus on him and he would just pop to the high post and as the defense collapsed on him he was incredible at finding the open man for an uncontested shot.

I remember Big Rich doing a decent job on him last year, but I think I would rather see Mike Rowley on him. They are the same height so it's not like UA loses there, but I think Rowley can play more physical than Rich does. He just seems stronger and more able to bang with him. I love watching Big Rich work in the paint and watching him box out. The combo of the two of them should do a good job. My biggest issue with Rich so far this year is that I do not see him trying to be aggressive on the offensive side. He typically sits at the post on the week side then works hard for position. As someone who is trying to get his son to work harder on the boards - Rich is a great example to tell my son to watch, but I do not see him trying to get the ball and make moves in the paint to score. Watch some of his offensive highlights. He has some of the best moves around the basket for a player his size, and is a pleasure to watch sometimes. He just doesn't seem to try to get that many chances. I want to see them feed the ball to both Rich and Rowley and have them post Warney up. Bring it to him and get him in foul trouble. It would open the outside shot.

I went off on a tangent, but what I was trying to say is - in this game - let Warney get his, just stop him from creating for others on the team and UA can win the game.

No offense to your friend...but that doesn't work (shut down just the top player strategy) in Division I. Heck, that's not even true in DIII.

Edited by Dane96

Hoping my wife is home in time from her event for me to go out somewhere to watch this game in a bar somewhere with a few friends. National televised games are always fun in a fan filled environment.

While I assume most local bars will have the game on the TV if they know about it - does anyone know of any bars that will have a strong contingent of fans? I have to assume that Across the Street Pub and City Line will have it. Any other places where die hard will be congregating? Wolf's 111 maybe?

No offense to your friend...but that doesn't work (shut down just the top player strategy) in Division I. Heck, that's not even true in DIII.

Everyone has their opinions. I agree that it is not always the best strategy, but there is a reason many teams will double team certain players when they have the ball. I know its not high school with the box and 1 zone or the triangle and 2, but your wrong that it doesn't work in college. It works and is still utilized against teams that have 1 or 2 great players and the rest of the team is not as good. The problem comes when it is against someone who is as good of a passer as Warney or if the team has plenty of additional firepower.