UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2023

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

He's not a floor general, in the slightest.  I remember him well.

Oh well. Guess I was hoping that Bing's reputation for being good academically would transfer to the court, but obviously thats not an assumption I should make. 

I have no memory of him at all beyond the name. He did score 21 against UA going 5 for 7 from three in February 2022, and in his only other game against UA he scored 11 (3 for 4 from three). That's probably why I remember the name. 

Despite what has been posted here, Tyler Bertram expressed excitement about coming to UAlbany.  He spoke with WTEN today concerning his commitment to UAlbany.

Perhaps,  he got a tour of the ongoing renovations which persuaded him to come here.

No one really posting much info, but I saw an offer to Nigel Cook. Only a few listed offers for the High School Sr, but they are impressive. 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/nigle-cook

FIA, Villanova, Wyoming, and Albany. 

At least DK is aiming at talent. I know Beagle is all but gone, maybe a few big names could get him to stay another year.

22 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Don't know much about him, but there is this...

From Hofstra's site - redshirted 21-22, in 22-23 played 28 games, starting 3. Avg 12 minutes, 5 ppg. 40% 3-pt shooter, 78% FT shooter. Had 10 steals, 6 blocks, 28 assists - and 32 turnovers. From Montclair NJ (Roselle Catholic)

• Thanks 1

I like this signing; huge upside.  Scoring machine on the hoops circuit. Had a bunch of CAA rookie of weeks and dropped 24 on Purdue. Efficient shooter in the 40’s.  Three years of eligibility. 

What I’m a bit confounded by, and in DK I must trust, is that neither Bertram or Marshall are lead guards.  To me, a lead guard and a backup big for Neely/Beagle were musts, in addition to a shooter. 

We’ve checked the box on a shooter.  Wonder if DK is going with the hope that Little, Amica, Jackson could do enough. All three carry the capital P.  Potential, with Little being the most naturally gifted of the bunch.  If those three give you a combined 12-14 and 5 boards and 5 assists pg, you are good. 

overall, I really like this pickup. 

• Like 1

Looks like he played a bunch early in the season then his role diminished as the season went on. That is what concerns me the most. YouTube shows a bunch of videos about how talented of a scorer he is. That's all well and good, but we had that in Davis this year. Can he play D? What happened for him to fall out of the rotation at Hofstra. A team in a league that's higher, but not much higher. Top AE teams can compete in the CAA every year, the difference there is the #8 team in the CAA might be #3 in the AE. Did he get hurt? Couldn't get the program they run? Didn't play D?

From what I see, this is another high ceiling athlete being added to the team, which is awesome and I love it, but I agree with Dane96. We need a real PG. Not necessarily a scorer, but one that makes everyone around them better. 

I like the front court with Beagle, Neely, Robinson, and Margoupis. Yes, another big banger would be nice, but not needed as much as someone who will lead the team on the floor.

No offense to Amica, Little, or Jackson intended with this. Any of those three could be that guy, but injury history and some other items have led us to not be confident that they are the player for that role yet.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know if Hutch is coming back for his last year of eligibility? Anyone know if Jackson is returning and if he is getting a scholarship? Anyone know if Ketner is returning to the team, or just moving to Football full-time?

Those questions will determine if the team is set for next year, or if we have two more scholarships remaining.

Returning Scholarships: Beagle, Neely, Little, Amica, Reddish

Incoming Freshman: Robinson, Adnan, Margoupis

Incoming Transfers: Betram, Marshall

That's 10 Scholarships of 13 maximum

Questions:

• Jackson - did he get a scholarship or will he continue as a PWO?
  • Ketner - Returning to the Basketball team after playing football?
  • Hutchinson - Graduating with a year of eligibility remaining. Haven't seen his name entering into the portal
Edited by godanesgo99

I sound like a broken record but if I'm Killings,  going to into my 3rd year, I'm keeping jackson as a pwo ( if he plays a lot this year and improves I give him a ride. He played a lot on a bad bad team last year ). 

Ketner would be out of a scholarship and I would not have Hutch back.  

Give me 3 more scholarships to use. A point,  a big, and the best player in the portal I can get.  

Edited by UA1882
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Anyone know if Hutch is coming back for his last year of eligibility? Anyone know if Jackson is returning and if he is getting a scholarship? Anyone know if Ketner is returning to the team, or just moving to Football full-time?

Those questions will determine if the team is set for next year, or if we have two more scholarships remaining.

Returning Scholarships: Beagle, Neely, Little, Amica, Reddish

Incoming Freshman: Robinson, Adnan, Margoupis

Incoming Transfers: Betram, Marshall

That's 10 Scholarships of 13 maximum

Questions:

• Jackson - did he get a scholarship or will he continue as a PWO?
  • Ketner - Returning to the Basketball team after playing football?
  • Hutchinson - Graduating with a year of eligibility remaining. Haven't seen his name entering into the portal

Neither Jackson or Ketner should get a scholarship. Ketner should be the last big off the bench if he's even on the team. Hopefully he moves over to football. Jackson on a good team is an 8 or 9th guy in the rotation. Maybe Jackson turns into a solid rotation player as an upper-classman. Good kid tries very hard but there's a reason he's a PWO. 

12 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Neither Jackson or Ketner should get a scholarship. Ketner should be the last big off the bench if he's even on the team. Hopefully he moves over to football. Jackson on a good team is an 8 or 9th guy in the rotation. Maybe Jackson turns into a solid rotation player as an upper-classman. Good kid tries very hard but there's a reason he's a PWO. 

I know he was forced into it, but kid started almost every conference game, and showed more hustle than almost any player I've seen in years of following the team. If he will stay with the team as a PWO, then that is awesome, but I like the energy he brings, and I've give him a ship before watching him transfer somewhere. He just watched his brother win a national championship, and I am sure he is motivated to improve and play on a tournament bound team. Hopefully he can achieve that here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I know he was forced into it, but kid started almost every conference game, and showed more hustle than almost any player I've seen in years of following the team. If he will stay with the team as a PWO, then that is awesome, but I like the energy he brings, and I've give him a ship before watching him transfer somewhere. He just watched his brother win a national championship, and I am sure he is motivated to improve and play on a tournament bound team. Hopefully he can achieve that here.

Being forced to start because the rest of the roster is bad doesn't mean a scholarship is warranted. The question with him isn't his heart or his effort but his talent with all due respect. I'd like to see him stay and develop. His in-conference analytics were pretty good. ORating over 100, high FG% from inside the arc. It would help him immensely if he could be more consistent from 3. He's pretty poor for a guard but he's a freshman. His turnover rate is also extremely high for a guard. 

Edited by Clickclack