UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2023

15 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Win...Brown didn't win, Gattuso has been stealing money for a decade...a decade of sucking at football and you're worried the fans are too mean? When this program led by losers does something that warrants praise, they will get it. I will not lay off them!

I never said praise. I'm in the fire Gattuso camp, and I said to give DK three years before calling for his head. I cancelled season tickets, I express disatisfaction when appropriate. Us fans have every right to be angry and disillusioned. I'd question the sanity of any fan that isn't pissed off.

There is a difference between being pissed off and expressing anger and being outright mean and negative in a place that recruits read.

Maybe those doing the recruiting should say: look how pissed off our fanbase is. They are rabid a$$holes when we suck, but when we win they love you forever. Look at the love Hooley gets more than half a decade after he left school. You, Mr. Recruit, are talented and will be a star. These angry fans will fall in love and the NIL money will follow.

I don't know. I'm in sales in the real world, and recruiting is nothing more than sales. If we scare away all the potential players, then the dark circle of losing continues. The team gets worse, the losing continues, the fans get worse, the losing continues....

We need to be angry as #uc& and express that anger, but also be two faced and put on purple and gold #purplefam glasses on social media. Maybe it doesn't help, but it also can't hurt.

On the other hand you have one Jonathan Beagle. Excited to get him, excited to have him, looking forward to four great years and becoming the best big man to ever play here. We heaped praise as far as I can recall. A guy has gotta do what a guy has gotta do, but it apparently has bought us zero loyalty in return. He's looking to bolt after one year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

On the other hand you have one Jonathan Beagle. Excited to get him, excited to have him, looking forward to four great years and becoming the best big man to ever play here. We heaped praise as far as I can recall. A guy has gotta do what a guy has gotta do, but it apparently has bought us zero loyalty in return. He's looking to bolt after one year. 

And why are some of us still surprised?  Beagle name is added to a growing list of UAlbany players, some who contributed more such as Joe Cremo and David Nichols who up and left for "bigger" and/or "better" programs. I am of the opinion, many of us wonder why Beagle chose UAlbany in the first place. I think we now know, play hard, play tough and win several weekly rookie awards, a better place will come your way.

We are all feeling that kick-in-the knee experience right now with Beagle, this has happened before, and it is going to happen again.

I think all of us expected Beagle to bolt for a bigger school before his college days were gone. I think we all just assumed we would get more than 1 year. We never really got to see what he will be. I say good for him for trying to go as big as he can. I would have advised him to stay at UA for at least 1 more year and get an all-conference honor on his resume, maybe even a CPOY. That said, the team was so bad this year, I am sure the pain of losing so much cuts deep. I still have hopes in the back of my mind that his goals are P5 conference and a top 25, if not a top 10 type contending school. I do not think those schools are after him yet. When he find out his best offers are from the second tier of schools, maybe he decides to come back for one more year to get those awards and get his stock to rise to that level. I think the rule now is transfer once without sitting out, but you need to sit out a year with a second transfer (I could be wrong on that). If the top of the top doesn't come offering, he could decide to stay put for a year 2.

People keep bringing up the Cremo and Nichols transfers: Those were different: both got degrees after giving us 3 years before the bolted. That was a different world then though. The portal hadn't heated up to what it is today at that point. 

7 hours ago, cwdickens said:

".....some who contributed more such as Joe Cremo and David Nichols who up and left for "bigger" and/or "better" programs."

Yes, some of us still bring up Joe Cremo and David Nichols, and you should note that I attributed their contributions in my comments.  The reason for noting Cremo and Nichols is easy because that is when the transfer portal took a chunk out of UAlbany "where the sun does not shine".

Edited by cwdickens
clarify

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you, like me, who started to ask themselves, who is Tyler Bertram?

Tyler hails from Cooperstown, NY and Cooperstown High School, where he was coached by his father.  Further, his Binghamton bio stated he had 20 D1 offers.

His college travels have taken him to UNC-Charlotte (red-shirted), Binghamton and UAB

He is 6' 3" and 170 lbs. somewhere he was 185 lbs. Hopefully, he works out this summer and balks up a bit.

UA1882, you stated "Need to get much better!"  Did you mean recruit better athletes?  If so, what did you expect after this year?  

Edited by cwdickens
update

Ho hum is about right.  Went to Charlotte in Conference USA for one year where he didn't get many minutes, then Bing for two years where he did ok by stepping down in competition getting 25-27 min/game.  Then decided to try Conference USA again at UAB where he barely got minutes, 4 per game and only 14 games total.  Obvious his game did not belong in C-USA, AE more his type but as stated, not blistering shooting percentage so role player at best.  

10 hours ago, cwdickens said:
10 hours ago, cwdickens said:

UA1882, you stated "Need to get much better!"  Did you mean recruit better athletes?  If so, what did you expect after this year?  

No. Get better in an general sense.  The team was so flawed year in every way imaginable.  The are several ways to get better: Recruit better players , coach better, put a team together that is coherent, ect. Coach Killings had been a coach for a long time not to understand this and I think be does.  One way or another the team needs to get much better.  

1 hour ago, UA1882 said:

No. Get better in an general sense.  The team was so flawed year in every way imaginable.  The are several ways to get better: Recruit better players , coach better, put a team together that is coherent, ect. Coach Killings had been a coach for a long time not to understand this and I think be does.  One way or another the team needs to get much better.  

Well, you and I agree one on thing, the team needs to get better.  Yes, Killings understands this because his two prior institutions, Marquette University and UConn made head coaching changes, which led him to move on from his assistant or associate coaching position.  I am of the opinion that his resume achievements are subject to debate in light of this season's record.  With the departures from this year's team via the portal, the performance of the remaining student-athletes from 2022-2023 and incoming student-athletes, no matter how good they are, I feel just making the conference tournament will be a major achievement. 

This team was flawed, but I wouldn't say it was every way imaginable. While many on the board disagree, I think they were physically talented enough, and when you look at the roster construction, it wasn't even as poorly constructed as many (including me) have said. The more I look back at the season, and think about how the games went, the team lacked high basketball IQ and leadership. Someone you knew would make the right play at the right time. Drumgoole was the defacto leader, and he is a talented scorer, but I am not sure he was a court general. Beagle is beyond gifted, but as a freshman he wasn't a leader. None of the point guards that played were that guy. I think I expected Little to be that guy, as he was valedictorian of his high school (if I remember correctly).  

This goes back to having no one on the all-academic team, which we always did under Brown. This was a team of athletes, not high IQ guys. All of them good in their own way and talented, but they needed that leader. You don't have to be academically gifted to be that guy, but it certainly helps. Being academically gifted doesn't make you that guy, but it certainly helps. 

I don't remember much of Bertram in his time at Bing, and no his stats don't scream big addition, but can he be a floor general? His in conference stats in the AE were pretty decent averaging double figures in points and shooting pretty well from three (37.9% and 38.5%). 

No he isn't a program savior, but he might be what the team needs. Well part of what the team needs, because we still need a lot more lol. 

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

This team was flawed, but I wouldn't say it was every way imaginable. While many on the board disagree, I think they were physically talented enough, and when you look at the roster construction, it wasn't even as poorly constructed as many (including me) have said. The more I look back at the season, and think about how the games went, the team lacked high basketball IQ and leadership. Someone you knew would make the right play at the right time. Drumgoole was the defacto leader, and he is a talented scorer, but I am not sure he was a court general. Beagle is beyond gifted, but as a freshman he wasn't a leader. None of the point guards that played were that guy. I think I expected Little to be that guy, as he was valedictorian of his high school (if I remember correctly).  

This goes back to having no one on the all-academic team, which we always did under Brown. This was a team of athletes, not high IQ guys. All of them good in their own way and talented, but they needed that leader. You don't have to be academically gifted to be that guy, but it certainly helps. Being academically gifted doesn't make you that guy, but it certainly helps. 

I don't remember much of Bertram in his time at Bing, and no his stats don't scream big addition, but can he be a floor general? His in conference stats in the AE were pretty decent averaging double figures in points and shooting pretty well from three (37.9% and 38.5%). 

No he isn't a program savior, but he might be what the team needs. Well part of what the team needs, because we still need a lot more lol. 

He's not a floor general, in the slightest.  I remember him well.