UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Recruits for 2022 - gonna ignore the negativity and look toward the future.

Benson still has time to rectify the problem, much like Delaware has done.  Question is: Does Benson have the money to do so.

That being said, the transfer game has changed the way you can build a team.  A new coach can come in and bring in "his guys" from his previous school and get some high level transfers to quickly rebuild.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Benson still has time to rectify the problem, much like Delaware has done.  Question is: Does Benson have the money to do so.

That being said, the transfer game has changed the way you can build a team.  A new coach can come in and bring in "his guys" from his previous school and get some high level transfers to quickly rebuild.

Well, yes, that is one scenario that could play out.  However, I assume the new coach would have a resume demonstrating success at winning games and recruiting.  I think the clock has run out of this option.  Further, with the Syracuse AD sticking with their current football coach, Benson feels he has cover for retaining Gattuso 

2 hours ago, MRuler 79 said:

I am looking at the glass as half full! These comments are my opinion.

Some of these guys not named Verse may regret leaving. Verse was leaving even if they won a National Championship last season. He has the NFL on his mind so he needs a high profile program and needs to compete against Power 5 competition. The rest of them will probably land in D2 or D3. Not one player that I know of that left UA has made a splash anywhere. The stud RB from a year or two ago (cant remember his name) left and went to Murray State or a higher profile program....never to be heard from again. The QB left and landed at D3 Hobart I think and has never been heard from since. The Troy WR left and went to New Haven...never to be heard from again. The WR from a few years ago left after marijuana trouble to a PA D2 school...never to be heard from again. 

If they are leaving to get away from this staff and just be small school student athletes without the pressure of FCS football I understand it. Most of these guys were getting playing time so it probably is due to the questions surrounding the program. None of these guys leaving with the exception of Verse will have any impact on this program at all. Programs at this level just reload. This happens every year in FCS football and its much more common at the FBS level. So far all of the guys leaving will prove the point they couldn't make it at this level. Maybe they should not have been recruited.

I think cleaning house of these borderline/troubled players is good for the program. they will bring more JUCO transfers and 4year program transfers "to hold the fort" until there is a new staff or when GG & company gets the ship off the rocks.

Little surprised that you are saying this about some of the guys.

Damico was all CAA second team and has been a stud for three years.  He was injured a good portion of this year.   His offers right off the bad are National Quarterfinalist Villanova and Towson.

Mazon Walker (you've seen my earlier comments about FBS) is a solid FCS guy.

DJ McConnell went back and forth starting / 2nd team

Joe Casale is a 2nd and sometimes first string linebacker, in line for first team duties this year. 

Jeff Undercuffler- clearly there was a staff/jeff issue this year.  I think it affected his game. I can see him going back to his old ways in a new situation.

Damon Burton- tough kid but a ton of injuries. 

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

Let it burn....wish all the kids the best of luck. Benson deserves this for letting a loser coach out the string. Let the fire of a complete debacle purify this program. I've already told Benson for the first time since 2007 I will not be renewing my season tickets. 

elmo-burn.gif

I bet Benson was heartbroken by the news......

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

I'm not sure that we can be so dismissive of those who leave. They all have their reasons. Never to be heard from again? Gontarek took some time to get reestablished, but in his Sr year at D2 Shepherd, his team went 13-2 and lost in the championship semi finals. He put up 1100 yards and had 11 TDs. Hanks went to Chattanooga for his final year and was the #2 RB...still put up 630 yds with 6 TDs. QB Shane Sweeney, who never really got a chance under GG, went on to play at Hobart, a pretty darn good D3 program. All he did was set the all time school career records for passing yards and TDs. Hanks put in his time at UA and was a darn good player. Gontarek clearly had FCS talent, but screwed up...that was on him. Dev Holmes...who the heck knows what his issues are? Could Sweeney have succeeded more than Sussman or some of the other so called QBs we suffered through before JUC broke out? We will never know. We had Testaverde....more interceptions than TDs on a 3-8 team. No, they were heard from again. 

Good for them and their transition. I am dismissive because the key point is they are all doing better in D2 or D3.  It tells me they were D2 or D3 talent. Hanks left to take a shot at the NFL through Chatanooga, not Alabama...so far have not seen him on an NFL roster. He was on a couple of good team while he was here. I haven't seen anyone play better at an FBS program or an FCS program. The fact that they are excelling at D2 or D3 makes the point they weren't good enough at the FCS level.

Edited by MRuler 79

27 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Little surprised that you are saying this about some of the guys.

Damico was all CAA second team and has been a stud for three years.  He was injured a good portion of this year.   His offers right off the bad are National Quarterfinalist Villanova and Towson.

Mazon Walker (you've seen my earlier comments about FBS) is a solid FCS guy.

DJ McConnell went back and forth starting / 2nd team

Joe Casale is a 2nd and sometimes first string linebacker, in line for first team duties this year. 

Jeff Undercuffler- clearly there was a staff/jeff issue this year.  I think it affected his game. I can see him going back to his old ways in a new situation.

Damon Burton- tough kid but a ton of injuries. 

Dane 96 remember these guys are transferring from a 2-9 team. How good are they really? 

Undercuffler probably sees the writing on the wall with his backup breathing down his neck. He didn't exactly light it up without his NFL caliber receiver. You know as well as anyone "next man up."

How much worse could next years team be? I actually went to the Stony Brook game and frankly SBU wasn't very good but we looked like the kids didn't care from the opening kickoff. Kids laughing and joking on the sidelines while they are getting their asses handed to them by a 4-6 team. Dancing to music during timeouts. I was ashamed to be a former player. I left with 7 minutes left in the second qtr. Absolutely HUMILIATING. My 13 year old son looked at me and said "Dad they dont care. I thought your team was supposed to be good."

Edited by MRuler 79
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

Dane 96 remember these guys are transferring from a 2-9 team. How good are they really? 

Undercuffler probably sees the writing on the wall with his backup breathing down his neck. He didn't exactly light it up without his NFL caliber receiver. You know as well as anyone "next man up."

How much worse could next years team be? I actually went to the Stony Brook game and frankly SBU wasn't very good but we looked like the kids didn't care from the opening kickoff. Kids laughing and joking on the sidelines while they are getting their asses handed to them by a 4-6 team. Dancing to music during timeouts. I was ashamed to be a former player. I left with 7 minutes left in the second qtr. Absolutely HUMILIATING. My 13 year old son looked at me and said "Dad they dont care. I thought your team was supposed to be good."

And for that Gattuso should be held accountable...these are his players. 

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

I bet Benson was heartbroken by the news......

If he isn't he sure as hell should be.

This program isn't interesting, successful, or notable enough to attract the casual fan.

This program needs every ClickClack it can get. Guys that sit through poor play and crappy weather every year (except one) to support the program.  Guys that give money to the department and that stuff their faces with horrible concession food.  Guys that go on message boards with opinions, trying to create any semblance of interest they can from a waning fanbase.

The ClickClacks are the only ones left.  Lose them and you have nothing and nobody....and a pretty $ienaty legacy when you go job hunting yourself when your contract runs out.

He shouldn't only be heartbroken.  He should be standing at the Western Avenue entrance with his lips puckered, waiting to kiss the ass of anyone dedicated and foolish enough to spend their valued time and money on a product that he helped kill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, haggyland said:

If he isn't he sure as hell should be.

This program isn't interesting, successful, or notable enough to attract the casual fan.

This program needs every ClickClack it can get. Guys that sit through poor play and crappy weather every year (except one) to support the program.  Guys that give money to the department and that stuff their faces with horrible concession food.  Guys that go on message boards with opinions, trying to create any semblance of interest they can from a waning fanbase.

The ClickClacks are the only ones left.  Lose them and you have nothing and nobody....and a pretty $ienaty legacy when you go job hunting yourself when your contract runs out.

He shouldn't only be heartbroken.  He should be standing at the Western Avenue entrance with his lips puckered, waiting to kiss the ass of anyone dedicated and foolish enough to spend their valued time and money on a product that he helped kill.

Don't sell yourself short Haggy! We need Haggy's too! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, haggyland said:

Not a first team starter.