UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Recruits for 2022 - gonna ignore the negativity and look toward the future.

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Quarterback competition is now Matt Vellace and Carino.  Watched some of vellace when he was a bc backup.  He got hurt before season at CSU or likely was going to be the starter.  Big, strong kid.  

committed just now

Can’t express how pumped I am for for the opportunity @UAlbanyFootball. Thank you to
@CoachJambrose and @CoachGGattuso for believing in me. It’s time to get to work. #RollDanes

Edited by HOF2013

56 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

He will be a starter day 1. Jeff who?? Undercuffler made a big mistake leaving. Any idea where he landed?

According to his twitter, still in the portal and just posted "patience is a virtue" recently.

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

Never has a kid risen and fallen so fast at UA as Jeff U. As for this kid just committed...will be interesting to see how Gattuso ruins this kid in an attempt to save his own hide. 

Good point.  I remember all the press before the Montana State game - there were interviews with his mentor from HS and a lot of discussions around his growth as a college QB.  I think he was also the second rated FCS freshman - forget what the award is called but the top rated freshman was from North Dakota State and ended up being drafted.

2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Never has a kid risen and fallen so fast at UA as Jeff U. As for this kid just committed...will be interesting to see how Gattuso ruins this kid in an attempt to save his own hide. 

Once again POSITIVE recruiting stuff PLEASE, NOT negative nonsense!  QB coach and Off Coordinator have more personal contact and coaching with the QB than any head coach ever does!!!!!!!!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clickclack said:

This is a classic shark baiting....we have to learn to ignore this....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Once again POSITIVE recruiting stuff PLEASE, NOT negative nonsense!  QB coach and Off Coordinator have more personal contact and coaching with the QB than any head coach ever does!!!!!!!!

Got it, as usual, someone else fault. Again, not going to ask you what I can and can't post. 

Edited by Clickclack

6 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Got it, as usual, someone else fault. Again, not going to ask you what I can and can't post. 

Yes Clickclack no one should tell you what you can post here... however, those who are offended by a particular comment by you (or others including myself) should learn to ignore the poster when your comments bring no value to the forum or has a inflammatory appearance....however in end "each to their own devices"

The track record for GG and the coaches he selects to run the offense and QBs is not exactly sterling. He inherited a seasoned Will Fiacchi and got a good senior season from him. He got JUC and got one year of tremendous production when two quality deep threats were on the roster and he was an unknown. But then production cratered in 2021 for both spring and fall football. In between was a litany of almosts...Crook, Brunson, Sussman, Testaverde, etc. Joey Carino might be the one...or maybe the newly committed guy can blossom when given the chance. So we will see how the GG regime looks in terms of a CAA caliber QB if JUC hits the road for sure. I’m a “show me” kinda guy. 

Edited by jimbo

35 minutes ago, jimbo said:

The track record for GG and the coaches he selects to run the offense and QBs is not exactly sterling. He inherited a seasoned Will Fiacchi and got a good senior season from him. He got JUC and got one year of tremendous production when two quality deep threats were on the roster and he was an unknown. But then production cratered in 2021 for both spring and fall football. In between was a litany of almosts...Crook, Brunson, Sussman, Testaverde, etc. Joey Carino might be the one...or maybe the newly committed guy can blossom when given the chance. So we will see how the GG regime looks in terms of a CAA caliber QB if JUC hits the road for sure. I’m a “show me” kinda guy. 

To HOF's point...clearly the OC wasn't working so he got a new one. Granted, if it wasn't working for a long time and they weren't on the same page and not just Gattuso throwing yet another staffer/player under the bus, why did he wait so long? I just remembered how excited we were about Jeff after his freshman season...and it all went to hell in spectacular fashion. This is a mark of a bad staff....their recruiting track record is abysmal, they can't coach x and o's, they can't develop kids who show promise and those that manage to get better can't wait to get out of here. Can it change in year 9, 10 and 11...maybe...but I doubt it. 

As a general comment, people are down on Davis.  I'm not sure I fully buy the criticism. He was hired to bring his high powered passing offense to Albany. He had a ton of talent to work with, as we know, and they produced .  

Then the talent may not have been there as we all saw, and the offense stumbled.  Gattuso even stated in the departure statement that you have to coach to your talent, inferring that Davis didn't do that since the elite members of the pass group left.  In his hiring of Ambrose, Gattuso mentioned how Ambrose adapts his offense to players, supporting the idea that Davis and his offense were not adaptable. 

i do believe the following needs to be considered:

1) i agree that great coaches adapt.  
2) however if you are going to bring in a guy known for passing, you need to ensure you recruit kids that fit that offense.  Never has anyone said, "let's not have a general offensive strategy and recruit for it; anything different usually proves to be unsuccessful  

we also need to consider the offensive line was a pure hot mess this year-  you cant run or pass thr ball with a line that is not providing protection or run blocking   That's not on the offensive coordinator though you could say Davis needed to adapt to poor line play.  

so, is the second year coordinator responsible for recruiting, wr play and o line play?  No.  Should he adapt?  Yes.   But what does that adaption look like, a dumbed down to basics offense?!

Davis didn't wake up and forget to coach   He could have done better   However when given the tools that fit his scheme, we thrived   Taken away, we failed   Now, Gattuso has zero excuses as his "problems" were removed (apparently)   

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 3

Except for a few rare instances, the deep passing game just was not there this year. Pretty much their whole offense should have been short passes. TO and Gray are good possession receivers and the tight ends were mostly ignored. Could never figure out why except that they needed to block because the line leaked like a sieve. I totally agree that your schemes and play calling have to play to the player’s strengths instead of trying to force them to do what they are seldom capable of. It’s frustrating to watch. 

Edited by jimbo