UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Recruits for 2022 - gonna ignore the negativity and look toward the future.

21 hours ago, Eli said:

What's the word on Mofor's replacement...do we have anyone good in the pipe or will our run game fall off a cliff?

Per the TU that's Landon Alexander

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-signs-big-game-back-Landon-16705542.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

Alexander, who starred at Central Valley High near Pittsburgh, was one of seven early signees announced by UAlbany for the 2022 season.

"I feel like the bigger the game is, the bigger I play," said the 6-foot, 190-pound Alexander, who rushed for a school-record 4,160 career yards.

He had 231 yards rushing, his fourth straight 200-yard game, in Central Valley's victory in the Pennsylvania Class 3A state title game last Saturday in Hershey. It was Central Valley's second straight state title. He visited UAlbany later that day.

Central Valley, located in Center Township, has also won three consecutive western Pennsylvania title games, which were played at Heinz Field, the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A few years ago, Alexander was one of the players shown and interviewed in the Esquire Network documentary series, "Friday Night Tykes, Steel Country," which followed six teams in the Beaver County Football League in football-crazy western Pennsylvania. The TV crew came to his practices and his home.

"It was definitely dope, being able to see yourself on TV," Alexander said. "Also, I was a big fan of the show myself, so to see myself on the show that I loved so much and watched when it aired, it was definitely a special moment and something you've got to thank God for."

His other offer was UMass

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Per the TU that's Landon Alexander

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-signs-big-game-back-Landon-16705542.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

Alexander, who starred at Central Valley High near Pittsburgh, was one of seven early signees announced by UAlbany for the 2022 season.

"I feel like the bigger the game is, the bigger I play," said the 6-foot, 190-pound Alexander, who rushed for a school-record 4,160 career yards.

He had 231 yards rushing, his fourth straight 200-yard game, in Central Valley's victory in the Pennsylvania Class 3A state title game last Saturday in Hershey. It was Central Valley's second straight state title. He visited UAlbany later that day.

Central Valley, located in Center Township, has also won three consecutive western Pennsylvania title games, which were played at Heinz Field, the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A few years ago, Alexander was one of the players shown and interviewed in the Esquire Network documentary series, "Friday Night Tykes, Steel Country," which followed six teams in the Beaver County Football League in football-crazy western Pennsylvania. The TV crew came to his practices and his home.

"It was definitely dope, being able to see yourself on TV," Alexander said. "Also, I was a big fan of the show myself, so to see myself on the show that I loved so much and watched when it aired, it was definitely a special moment and something you've got to thank God for."

His other offer was UMass

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like we got something really good on paper at the position!

42 minutes ago, Eli said:

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like we got something really good on paper at the position!

He's a good one.  Very different style than Mofor...but he has an abundance of talent to fill Mofor's massive shoes.  I think he comes in as a January guy, and that will allow him to work with the team and the strength coaches.  Would love to see him get up to the 205 range eventually.  

• Like 2

We just lost Mazon Walker to the portal.  Grumble...

I don't understand this one.  He's good, no doubt...but he is not going to be an FBS guy at a team that is going to wow you. Not as a 5'9 NT. 

Maybe a MAC or lower team...

Edited by Dane96

So far the only transfer out of UA in my opinion that means anything is Verse (96 I believe). As good as Verse is he will be smallish for the FBS big boy level like Florida State. Wouldn't shock me if they moved him to LB. Its not like he dominated and completely took over games in the CAA ...aka Lawrence Taylor type performances. This Walker kid as Dane 96 stated will be tiny at the high end of FBS and the LB (44 i think...forgot his name) didn't impress me as he was often blocked against the run. He really should think twice about leaving.

If anyone else leaves next man up. It was a 2-9 season so how good could they have played?

Edited by MRuler 79

1 hour ago, MRuler 79 said:

So far the only transfer out of UA in my opinion that means anything is Verse (96 I believe). As good as Verse is he will be smallish for the FBS big boy level like Florida State. Wouldn't shock me if they moved him to LB. Its not like he dominated and completely took over games in the CAA ...aka Lawrence Taylor type performances. This Walker kid as Dane 96 stated will be tiny at the high end of FBS and the LB (44 i think...forgot his name) didn't impress me as he was often blocked against the run. He really should think twice about leaving.

If anyone else leaves next man up. It was a 2-9 season so how good could they have played?

Is it not possible that some of them may be looking to make lateral moves as far as level but under different regimes due to perhaps other things are we not privy too (coughgattussocough)? I'm just spit ballin but other than Verse, some of them may be just looking to get away. Maybe he was Urban Meyer'ing them and kicking them in the legs during practice...*snort*

Edited by Eli
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MRuler 79 said:

That reminds of an apparently true story involving my beloved Giants (when they were previously terrible instead of recently terrible 😂.) Their only real “star” player was LB Brad Van Pelt. He went in to see Wellington Mara and demanded a big raise or he was gonna leave. Mara was quoted as replying something to the effect of  “No. We were 2-12 with you, we can be 2-12 without you.” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep.  Just announced. And four other guys.  

anyone and I mean anyone saying this isn’t about staff can go pound sand.  Some of these guys were personal favorites of Gattuso.  I get verse.  Verse is literally getting offers from everywhere (LSU is latest).  These other guys, not FBS guys.  They are jumping off this ship, including guys who have a year left and can be part of a turn around our staff is preaching about. 

I can’t imagine we will be any good.  This is a shame and frankly sucks that our finances are so bad that we would let our program suffer another year.  I get that covid has hamstrung the department…that’s a mere excuse.  We aren’t packing the football in that we lost that much revenue. Fact is, fundraising has not skyrocket like it was supposed to under the current administration.  

I do find it telling that Gattuso’s guys don’t want to be part of a turnaround.

let us all be healthy for 2023.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And let this sink in.  Joe Casale is Albany royalty, his brother a star for us.  He honestly never got the time from this staff.  Don’t know if the new LB committed before this happened.  But this one is a shock.  I thought Casale’s turn would be this year and next.

We lost first and second string linebackers.  We lost a backup corner. We lost a starting dlineman.  We lost Verse who may have well stayed if we were a championship contender.  You get drafted out of the CAA.  

SO, we literally lost players from the strongest unit we have, defense…key contributors.   And Gattuso is a defensive guy.  

talk about rats…jumping…burning ship.  Sigh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Honestly, I hope that we lose every game next year just so we can put an EMPHATIC/book slamming shut type end to what was the Greg Gattuso era. A part of me dreads that idea of him somehow pulling a decent year out and somehow convincing Benson that he's got it figured out finally and trending upwards.

This thing needs to be torn down completely and rebuilt...by the next staff. There is NOTHING salvageable here.

I totally understand these players and I think many of us knew this was exactly what was going to happen.

• Like 1

To all the players leaving, I wish you the best at your next school and hope you find the personal success and as important, team success.  As I have come to realize from Basketball and Lacrosse, the Transfer Portal has eased the way for those looking for a "better situation" and winning experience.  To HOF2013....it seems the negativity has wonder into your thread....

Edited by cwdickens
  • Thanks 1

I am looking at the glass as half full! These comments are my opinion.

Some of these guys not named Verse may regret leaving. Verse was leaving even if they won a National Championship last season. He has the NFL on his mind so he needs a high profile program and needs to compete against Power 5 competition. The rest of them will probably land in D2 or D3. Not one player that I know of that left UA has made a splash anywhere. The stud RB from a year or two ago (cant remember his name) left and went to Murray State or a higher profile program....never to be heard from again. The QB left and landed at D3 Hobart I think and has never been heard from since. The Troy WR left and went to New Haven...never to be heard from again. The WR from a few years ago left after marijuana trouble to a PA D2 school...never to be heard from again. 

If they are leaving to get away from this staff and just be small school student athletes without the pressure of FCS football I understand it. Most of these guys were getting playing time so it probably is due to the questions surrounding the program. None of these guys leaving with the exception of Verse will have any impact on this program at all. Programs at this level just reload. This happens every year in FCS football and its much more common at the FBS level. So far all of the guys leaving will prove the point they couldn't make it at this level. Maybe they should not have been recruited.

I think cleaning house of these borderline/troubled players is good for the program. they will bring more JUCO transfers and 4year program transfers "to hold the fort" until there is a new staff or when GG & company gets the ship off the rocks.

Edited by MRuler 79

52 minutes ago, MRuler 79 said:

I am looking at the glass as half full! These comments are my opinion.

Some of these guys not named Verse may regret leaving. Verse was leaving even if they won a National Championship last season. He has the NFL on his mind so he needs a high profile program and needs to compete against Power 5 competition. The rest of them will probably land in D2 or D3. Not one player that I know of that left UA has made a splash anywhere. The stud RB from a year or two ago (cant remember his name) left and went to Murray State or a higher profile program....never to be heard from again. The QB left and landed at D3 Hobart I think and has never been heard from since. The Troy WR left and went to New Haven...never to be heard from again. The WR from a few years ago left after marijuana trouble to a PA D2 school...never to be heard from again. 

If they are leaving to get away from this staff and just be small school student athletes without the pressure of FCS football I understand it. Most of these guys were getting playing time so it probably is due to the questions surrounding the program. None of these guys leaving with the exception of Verse will have any impact on this program at all. Programs at this level just reload. This happens every year in FCS football and its much more common at the FBS level. So far all of the guys leaving will prove the point they couldn't make it at this level. Maybe they should not have been recruited.

I think cleaning house of these borderline/troubled players is good for the program. they will bring more JUCO transfers and 4year program transfers "to hold the fort" until there is a new staff or when GG & company gets the ship off the rocks.

I'm not sure that we can be so dismissive of those who leave. They all have their reasons. Never to be heard from again? Gontarek took some time to get reestablished, but in his Sr year at D2 Shepherd, his team went 13-2 and lost in the championship semi finals. He put up 1100 yards and had 11 TDs. Hanks went to Chattanooga for his final year and was the #2 RB...still put up 630 yds with 6 TDs. QB Shane Sweeney, who never really got a chance under GG, went on to play at Hobart, a pretty darn good D3 program. All he did was set the all time school career records for passing yards and TDs. Hanks put in his time at UA and was a darn good player. Gontarek clearly had FCS talent, but screwed up...that was on him. Dev Holmes...who the heck knows what his issues are? Could Sweeney have succeeded more than Sussman or some of the other so called QBs we suffered through before JUC broke out? We will never know. We had Testaverde....more interceptions than TDs on a 3-8 team. No, they were heard from again.