UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #24: 2/9/22 - 7:00PM vs Maine

Eli

Well, what can I say? One of the worst hoop experiences in my 25+ years watching UA games, home or away. Not only can we not beat a 1-10 team but we get our rear ends kicked at home. And for anyone suggesting this was a trap game, forget it! We are not that good to have trap games. What’s the theory there—we can waltz up and down the court, thinking we can destroy Maine in our sleep, so we can get prepared for the giant upset of undefeated Vermont? Not going to happen. Shame on Coach K and his staff and our players for this disaster.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I agree that this is a bad team as some have stated in this thread. I think "developing" and prone to errors is a better way to say it. The season of work so far has them rated as the best defense in the league. They probably aren't going to beat UVM this weekend, but they still have a pretty strong shot at hosting a playoff game. That's a lot more than anyone on this board thought they could accomplish if you go back to the threads from November.

Lets look at the positives....

Horton, Doles, and Hutch are all upper classmen that could return for another season (2 for Hutch)

Neely hasnt played as well lately, but he's shown flashes of greatness as evidenced by his ROW awards.

Drumgoole and Amica will both hopefully be healthy for next year. Both are/were touted athletes and potential all-conference type players. Hopefully they don't lose the athleticism as they recover from surgery. 

The reports on Schafer have been glowingly positive in the preseason every year since he has been here, but he just hasn't figured out how to stay healthy. He has 2 years left. Maybe he finally puts it together next season.

Little has definitely looked like a freshman, but something tells me he will look more like the flashes of greatness we have seen a few times than the turnover machine he has been most of the year as he develops.

The walk-ons have shown some skills. Fizulich has earned a scholarship for next season. Ketner has been adequate during his limited time. 

Recruiting still looks strong with Beagle and some great names showing up on VC.

And finally there is Reddish. He still makes too many mistakes to see more than 10-15 minutes a game, and that's a good thing for us UA fans. He's not getting enough time to be a target to transfer up yet, so I'm guessing we get at least another year of him. If he stays for 3 or 4 years we will be lucky. Kid is going to be an absolute monster as he develops. I don't know him at all, but from the brief interaction I had with him and watching him on the court he seems like a great kid, and he is the best athlete we've seen since Wheeler Baker. He's probably more athletic than Baker was. I think Reddish has a much better head too and won't succumb to the same issues Baker did.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

99,  Nice assessment! Agree Reddish and Neely are going to be MONSTERS in this league if they stay? Foresee them competing each other for player of the league in 2 years (if both still @UA). Fizulich is going to surprise people. He is fearless and plays with a lot of confidence. All he needs is minutes which I believe he will get plenty of next season. 

Still not sure you can call this team GOOD right now; and perhaps BAD is also over used. Inconsistent, Developing, Building are words that come to mind and perhaps more accurate, than saying they are "bad or good"🎅

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, dslyank said:

99,  Nice assessment! Agree Reddish and Neely are going to be MONSTERS in this league if they stay? Foresee them competing each other for player of the league in 2 years (if both still @UA). Fizulich is going to surprise people. He is fearless and plays with a lot of confidence. All he needs is minutes which I believe he will get plenty of next season. 

Still not sure you can call this team GOOD right now; and perhaps BAD is also over used. Inconsistent, Developing, Building are words that come to mind and perhaps more accurate, than saying they are "bad or good"🎅

Nice assessment .... the question will always be the Transfer Portal ..... should have our questions answer in 30-45 days...

I don't think the word for this team is bad either. Just not good or mediocre (the AE is a bad conference again this year). 

I agree with everything above.  The main 3 things for next year are:

1) Do Doles and Horton stay ?

2) Can players develop?

3) Can we get some impact in the portal? 

The season is far from over but I do believe those are our biggest questions right now. 

2 hours ago, statefan said:

It is unclear to me.  How does Jarvis Doles have any eligibility left?  He has played 5 seasons, 3 @ Drexel and 2 @UAlbany.  I know that the COVID year doesn't count.

Doles only played 5 games in 2019-2020. So that would be a redshirt year.  Plus the covid year means he has 1 more year if he wants it. 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:39 AM, godanesgo99 said:

I'm not sure I agree that this is a bad team as some have stated in this thread. I think "developing" and prone to errors is a better way to say it. The season of work so far has them rated as the best defense in the league. They probably aren't going to beat UVM this weekend, but they still have a pretty strong shot at hosting a playoff game. That's a lot more than anyone on this board thought they could accomplish if you go back to the threads from November.

Lets look at the positives....

Horton, Doles, and Hutch are all upper classmen that could return for another season (2 for Hutch)

Neely hasnt played as well lately, but he's shown flashes of greatness as evidenced by his ROW awards.

Drumgoole and Amica will both hopefully be healthy for next year. Both are/were touted athletes and potential all-conference type players. Hopefully they don't lose the athleticism as they recover from surgery. 

The reports on Schafer have been glowingly positive in the preseason every year since he has been here, but he just hasn't figured out how to stay healthy. He has 2 years left. Maybe he finally puts it together next season.

Little has definitely looked like a freshman, but something tells me he will look more like the flashes of greatness we have seen a few times than the turnover machine he has been most of the year as he develops.

The walk-ons have shown some skills. Fizulich has earned a scholarship for next season. Ketner has been adequate during his limited time. 

Recruiting still looks strong with Beagle and some great names showing up on VC.

And finally there is Reddish. He still makes too many mistakes to see more than 10-15 minutes a game, and that's a good thing for us UA fans. He's not getting enough time to be a target to transfer up yet, so I'm guessing we get at least another year of him. If he stays for 3 or 4 years we will be lucky. Kid is going to be an absolute monster as he develops. I don't know him at all, but from the brief interaction I had with him and watching him on the court he seems like a great kid, and he is the best athlete we've seen since Wheeler Baker. He's probably more athletic than Baker was. I think Reddish has a much better head too and won't succumb to the same issues Baker did.

Great post...really excited for what comes next season and after that...recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. Pretty clear at this point we've taking a huge step up in that regard.