UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #22: 1/25/23 - 5PM at New Hampshire

Eli

1 minute ago, Clickclack said:

I have zero regard for talent on the bench or on the court....on the court I only like Beagle. Everyone else stinks...even kids like Drumgool have regresses badly. 

When a borderline walkon like Jackson is your leading scorer, you have a very bare cupboard. Quite and indictment for a guy allegedly a great recruiter. He seems to be good identifying one kid every year that's exceptional, beagle and Neely and then I don't know ..just gives up to fill in around them.  

This is a talentless team that isn't coached at all by a staff way in over their heads. 

This season is over...they may steal another game somewhere, maybe. But this roster needs to be gutted...I mean he gave Kettner a scholarship...good kid but clearly not a D1 player. That's all you need to know about DK. 

Disagree on Drumgoole.  Remember, this is a kid who is basically playing his first FULL D1 year due to injuries and covid.  He's absolutely exhausted and playing 40 min a game, which is obscene.  Drumgoole at 28-32 min a game is a 2nd team player in this league.  

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

Disagree on Drumgoole.  Remember, this is a kid who is basically playing his first FULL D1 year due to injuries and covid.  He's absolutely exhausted and playing 40 min a game, which is obscene.  Drumgoole at 28-32 min a game is a 2nd team player in this league.  

Fair enough...not helped by having a guard that can set him up either. I think many of these kids just want to get the year over with. Get the circus with DK over with. I suspect a bunch will take off saying screw this disaster. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clickclack said:

Fair enough...not helped by having a guard that can set him up either. I think many of these kids just want to get the year over with. Get the circus with DK over with. I suspect a bunch will take off saying screw this disaster. 

The team is definitely over this year...and it's a shame.  I hope Beagle stays because in this era of transfers, Albany can be a top 3 team within a year or two.

His numbers and Drumgoole are obscene for effectively 1st year, full-time guys:

Beagle: 12ppg, 6.8 RPG, 1.9 ASS; 51.6% FG

Drumgoole: 14.7ppg; 5.3RPG; 2.5 ASS; 35.5% FG.  And the FG percentage is definitely due to doing too much and tired legs (also some bad shots). I think that number is probably in the low 40's if he was playing normal minutes. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Beagle bounces. In fact I'd say that's the more likely scenario regardless of what happens with the coach. I would if I was in his shoes. 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was a Sophmore during Coach Brown second season so I remember the team being bad and injured but i dont remember much else.  Is this season comparable to that one?  Yes I know Brown wasn't dealing with civil and criminal litigation.  Just curious seem to remember Jamar being hurt and we had no height. 

58 minutes ago, Eli said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Beagle bounces. In fact I'd say that's the more likely scenario regardless of what happens with the coach. I would if I was in his shoes. 

I see Beagle going to the Patriot Conference, like Colgate or the MAC, like Eastern Michigan or the A10, Dayton.  He has an opportunity to be part of a team with a proven coach and a more stable environment,

Edited by cwdickens

Pay attention to the shooters, especially Drumgoole, Davis, and Patel. All three of them are solid if not excellent AE players when they are playing within themselves. When they try to force it, try to do too much, or are tired: you will notice that they are drifting or fading away on every shot. Doing that cuts your make percentage at least in half, if not 75%. . Get your motion straight up and down or moving towards the hoop and you make WAY more of your shots. I'm not saying they should be catch and shoot guys - all three have strong jump shots, I'm saying someone needs to work with them to figure out how to get them straight - it's so evident watching the film. They make a ton when they are straight, miss almost everything when they aren't. 

What happened to Reddish attacking the basket? It's like he's become content with being a shooter. He is best when he is using his athleticism, going around guys and attacking the rim. He was doing that a lot early, but got Ts when he couldn't shut his mouth after dunking on people. He needs some of that energy back, as it will open up his outside shot when people respect the drive.

Edmead is a complete enigma. Fastest player I have seen in a long time and is capable of taking over a game defensively and with his speed, and facilitating a fast pace offence. He seemed to break through from a terrible start, then he's lost it since the injury.

Hutch has been bad all year shooting wise, but his energy and willingness to sacrifice his body was important to any success. Kind of a glue guy that won't fill up the stat sheet, but makes the team better. The team misses him more than anyone will say.

Jackson has been more than I thought he would be as a walk-on. If he gets a scholarship and stays, I see a bright future.

Beagle is a monster. Still making some freshman mistakes, but is really the biggest bright side of the season so far. Pair him with a healthy Neely and the team would rebound better, force the opponents to pack in the inside to protect against them and open up the outside shot. 

Haven't seen enough of Little or Amica to know how much they would have helped. Both were quick and talented, but both seemed lost on the court at times. Being out with injuries will hurt the team more in the future than this lost season as they both need time to practice to learn the D1 game and the system (if DK even has a system).

That leaves Kellogg and Ketner. I really like Ketner. He has some strong moves and is a big body. Just not sure he is anything more than a fill in at this point. Kellogg hasn't gotten much of a chance yet, and considering how light the team is with big men beyond Beagle with Neely hurt and that says a lot. He kind of reminds me of Xavier Cochran from back in the day. Tons of talent, but not able to put anything together. Could be a force in a few years, but who knows, might be better off in the NEC or D2. 

So if you take my assessment of the team above, it really doesn't sound like a last place team in the AE. There is more than enough talent in my eyes. That leaves coaching as the problem. How do you take a group of talented players and make them a team that is more than the sum of the parts? That's what this staff hasn't figured out yet. Right now they are a collection of athlete's that together just don't meld. They are way less than he sum of the parts. Something has to give.

Guess it's time to feel like Mets/Jets fans. There is always next year!

Edited by godanesgo99

51 minutes ago, Eli said:

Isn't Beagle friends with one of the commits for next year?  I'd think that might keep him here for at least one more season.

2 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Also, it looks like February 28 is the date the team should be focused on and circle on their calendars. If they can steal a win at UVM, they could be one of the only teams in the country to end their season on a win since the playoffs aren't happening.

Senior Night at UVM.... a packed Patrick Gym... ok ... we can dream .... however, I rather see this team win enough games to avoid 9th place.

59 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Isn't Beagle friends with one of the commits for next year?  I'd think that might keep him here for at least one more season.

In the pregame TU story Beagle said  “I know they (the Wildcats) have a freshman big, so I definitely need to show him how it’s going to be the next four years.” That doesn't sound like he's thinking of leaving - yet.

59 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

In other America East MBB action:

• Maine 75 - UMass Lowell 70
  • NJIT 69 - UMBC 65
  • Vermont 80 - Binghamton 55

Nineth Place with really tough games coming up

So Lowell is in second place with losses to the  eighth- and ninth-place teams. Four teams are tied for third.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

In the pregame TU story Beagle said  “I know they (the Wildcats) have a freshman big, so I definitely need to show him how it’s going to be the next four years.” That doesn't sound like he's thinking of leaving - yet.

Okay, I like that. Nice.

6 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

So Lowell is in second place with losses to the  eighth- and ninth-place teams. Four teams are tied for third.

3 hours ago, Eli said:

Okay, I like that. Nice.

Well, much can change between the short and intermediate term.  Perhaps Jonathan Beagle has developed a connection with the school as the place to obtain his degree in Commnication as well as the athletic program.