UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Bing 2/11

Eli

14 minutes ago, tnehurley said:

That .333 will get even worse by season’s end. I’m betting on a 1-15 AE record. Who are we going to beat?

Only two more "home" games UMBC and NJIT and three road games Binghamton, Maine and Vermont.

Our best chance for a win is likely NJIT however, it would be meaningless if we lose to Binghamton, UMBC and Maine and/or NJIT picks up a win before we play them.

The only game this team should be preparing for this year is 2/27 at UVM. We beat UML, so beating a top team is possible if the shooters get hot. This team is destined to sit the AE playoffs out as the bottom team, so a win at UVM would make us one of the only teams in the country to end their season on a win. The others would most likely be the national champs and the winners of other post season tournaments.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bob87 said:

It is already worse. It is currently .309 against division 1. Expect to end this season 4-25. Overall 17-43,  .283

Needless to say, but if UA was a P5 or group of 8 school, the bags would already be packed and a moving van in the driveway. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

The only game this team should be preparing for this year is 2/27 at UVM. We beat UML, so beating a top team is possible if the shooters get hot. This team is destined to sit the AE playoffs out as the bottom team, so a win at UVM would make us one of the only teams in the country to end their season on a win. The others would most likely be the national champs and the winners of other post season tournaments.

That would be the ultimate meaningless accomplishment. That wouldn't get a mention anyway and would likely not be unique. For one thing in the ivy league there are 8 teams and 4 make their tournament so unless the last regular season matchups are all between a top 4 team and a bottom 4 team at least one of their teams will end the season with a win. I don't know how many other conferences have tournaments that not all teams qualify but if Danes end up 5-24 , 2-14 in the conference it was a bad season regardless of whether the 2nd conference win comes in the next game, the last game or any in between.

Edited by bob87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bob87 said:

That would be the ultimate meaningless accomplishment. That wouldn't get a mention anyway and would likely not be unique. For one thing in the ivy league there are 8 teams and 4 make their tournament so unless the last regular season matchups are all between a top 4 team and a bottom 4 team at least one of their teams will end the season with a win. I don't know how many other conferences have tournaments that not all teams qualify but if Danes end up 5-24 , 2-14 in the conference it was a bad season regardless of whether the 2nd conference win comes in the next game, the last game or any in between.

Go back and look throughout the years, there are less than 5 teams that end their season on a win every year. The National Champ, the NIT champ, the champ of the CBI, and at best 2-3 teams that weren't in one of those tournaments.

Meaningless? Definitely! 

Fun and something positive to take from a dreadful season? In my mind yes, it would be a silver lining.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Again, how many examples do we need on how irrelevant n the Capital District as an article about our MBB team is on page 5 of the sports section.

UALBANY MEN’S BASKETBALL

Kellogg seizes opportunity

By Abigail Rubel

UAlbany at Binghamton

■› When: 2 p.m. Saturday

■› Where: Dr. Bai Lee Court, Vestal

■› Stream: ESPN3;

■› Radio: WTMM 104.5 FM

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F02%2F10&id=Pc0150900&ext=.jpg&ts=20230210064148
David Rosenblum / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

UAlbany forward Japannah Kellogg III, right, shown in an early-season game against Austin Peay, scored 15 points in 16 minutes against Bryant on Wednesday.

TROY — Junior forward Japannah Kellogg III doesn’t see the court much for the University at Albany men’s basketball team.

The 6-foot-8 transfer from the University at Wisconsin-Green Bay averages just less than six minutes and 1.4 points per game.

But after Kellogg scored 15 points in 16 minutes with four rebounds in Wednesday’s 87-62 loss to Bryant, coach Dwayne Killings said he’s earned more chances to play, especially with the Great Danes (6-20, 1-10 America East) on an eight-game losing streak.

“Although he hasn’t gotten a lot of playing time, he’s gotten a lot better,” Killings said. “You got to give him a chance. I just think that’s the right thing to do. And at this point, why not?”

Kellogg played the final 30 seconds of the first half and entered early in the second with the Great Danes trailing by 27 points. He shot 7-for-11, with the bulk of his baskets coming on jumpers just outside the restricted area. He finished behind only senior forward Gerald Drumgoole Jr., UAlbany’s leading scorer, who had 16 points.

“I’m just trying to give what the team needs,” Kellogg said. “We had the right shots at the start of the game, they just weren’t falling and then we kind of lost ourselves. And so I guess I was just able to find a rhythm through that, but I think anybody could get what I had tonight.”

“He’s a great teammate, and little do you guys know he works very hard,” Drumgoole said of Kellogg. “And I feel like today was an example of him taking advantage of his opportunity.”

The Great Danes shot 9-for-29 (31 percent) in the first half, falling behind 51-27 at halftime, and 13-for-35 (37.1 percent) in the second. They also struggled to defend, allowing Bryant to shoot nearly 50 percent overall and 40 percent from 3.

“I appreciate all the words (Drumgoole) said. There’s still assignments I missed. I know there’s three rebounds I could have got,” Kellogg said. “And there’s just other defensive assignments that I missed, and I know a lot of guys have missed defensive assignments, and so we just got to focus more on the defensive end.”

Last season at Green Bay, Kellogg averaged 6.7 points and four rebounds in 24.2 minutes per game, with a career-high of 17 points. He made 21 starts. At UAlbany, Kellogg has played more than 10 minutes just four times; his 16 minutes Wednesday were his second-highest of the season. He played a high of 22 minutes in a loss at NJIT, scoring a previous season-best four points on 2-for-2 shooting with six rebounds.

“I feel like I have to impact the game the moment the game starts. I try to, on the bench, be the loudest person there, and so I don’t think it’s too much of a surprise when (Killings) calls my number just because I try to be helping out my teammates as much as I can. We just all have to stay ready, and I think sometimes we forget that,” Kellogg said.

He could get his next chance Saturday, when UAlbany visits Binghamton for a 2 p.m. tipoff.

▶› Abigail.Rubel@- timesunion.com A @abigail_rubel