UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

We do seem to have the love of the pollsters this season. As we beat up the AE, ACC teams beat each other up but they all have very high RPI's and don't move very far up or down. Our 2 losses were early in the season and don't seem to be affecting us. Here is my question. if we win out which would include a win at Yale and another win over SBU (probable in the AE tourney), are we then a top 3 or 4 in the rankings? Last year we went into NCAA tourney with just 2 losses (Cornell and Syracuse) but were seeded 9th which forced us to the road against 8th seeded Cornell.

Big question is can they get an at large if they fail to win the America East tournament.

Albany up to #7 and SB right behind at #8. I still find it weird seeing Albany ranked above Duke, JHU, Cuse, UNC, and UVA. As awesome as it is being ranked 7th, I still feel they'd lose if they played those teams.

08 your skepticism astounds me. Do you even watch UA lacrosse? Two years ago against ND we were the better (actually dominant) team for three qtrs. Only a fourth qtr 10 man ride (which is a desperation and a major gamble) and some questionable officiating caused the gamble to work. Again last year we competed toe to toe with ND, even though we probably played one of our worse games of the year. At Denver 3 years ago we played them even for three qtrs only to succumb to the altitude in the fourth. We have as many national championships as dame (0) and only one less than Denver. Our contests with cuse (when not played so early in the year we are not ready) have been more than competitive {ditto hopkins}. The climate in lacrosse is changing and we must now be considered a POWER; and I assure you if we played today any of the teams mentioned above we'd be a favorite or a toss up at the very lease. Don't get me wrong, we could have a bad game (anyone can) and get killed, but if we play like we are CAPABLE, we could/will beat any on your list!

ps. By the way, no offense intended; you are certainly welcome to your opinion and doubts.

Edited by dslyank

Albany up to #7 and SB right behind at #8. I still find it weird seeing Albany ranked above Duke, JHU, Cuse, UNC, and UVA. As awesome as it is being ranked 7th, I still feel they'd lose if they played those teams.

08 your skepticism astounds me. Do you even watch UA lacrosse? Two years ago against ND we were the better (actually dominant) team for three qtrs. Only a fourth qtr 10 man ride (which is a desperation and a major gamble) and some questionable officiating caused the gamble to work. Again last year we competed toe to toe with ND, even though we probably played one of our worse games of the year. At Denver 3 years ago we played them even for three qtrs only to succumb to the altitude in the fourth. We have as many national championships as dame (0) and only one less than Denver. Our contests with cuse (when not played so early in the year we are not ready) have been more than competitive {ditto hopkins}. The climate in lacrosse is changing and we must now be considered a POWER; and I assure you if we played today any of the teams mentioned above we'd be a favorite or a toss up at the very lease. Don't get me wrong, we could have a bad game (anyone can) and get killed, but if we play like we are CAPABLE, we could/will beat any on your list!

ps. By the way, no offense intended; you are certainly welcome to your opinion and doubts.

No offense taken.. I was at the ND game two years ago and I do watch them when they are on. Hope you're right that they'd be favorites if they played any of those teams.

Lacrosse is still new, and in my opinion there are only a few teams that you can consider power programs. Do you think UA ranked 6/7 is where they should be right now?

08, It is a little difficult to answer your 6/7 question. I am very concerned about our poor Face-Off results [this as you know has been our bugaboo for years] and has not really improved this year. This causes us to spend much too much time on Defense; and as good as Blade and the defense has been, sometimes you bend and bend and then break. Likewise the offense [who by the way is very young overall] denied the ball for long period, sometimes gets rushed and a little careless when they finally get their chance. So it is a testament to the team overall that they have risen to 6/7 in the polls. In my opinion if they could improve their face-off efficiency, I believe they could beat anyone 1-5; if they do not get better at the X, I would be as "skeptical," as a long suffering met fan.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

:D OK I just have to do this ... here's comes the idiom police. :P

The idiom is Bugaboo which is a legendary scary creature, see bogeyman

Just wanted to elucidate - not correct

The other idiom that bugs me is a mis-translation that is showing up quite a bit lately... "Nip it in the Butt" which really began as "Nip it in the bud"... a biological process to stop a bud early on in its development (essentially to force stronger blooms elsewhere.) Nip it in the butt is something my old dog dreams about I think.

Sorry ... Now back to enjoying another great LAX season. Go Danes

We do seem to have the love of the pollsters this season. As we beat up the AE, ACC teams beat each other up but they all have very high RPI's and don't move very far up or down. Our 2 losses were early in the season and don't seem to be affecting us. Here is my question. if we win out which would include a win at Yale and another win over SBU (probable in the AE tourney), are we then a top 3 or 4 in the rankings? Last year we went into NCAA tourney with just 2 losses (Cornell and Syracuse) but were seeded 9th which forced us to the road against 8th seeded Cornell.

Big question is can they get an at large if they fail to win the America East tournament.

Lacrosse Magazine's bracketology has us a six seed, opening round game vs. Penn State, and in the Columbus OH quarterfinal (the other is in Providence at Brown). He has Stony Brook the third at-large, so if we lose to them in the AE finals we should still get an at-large.We'll find out at 9 pm on May 8 on ESPNU
ed: he lists SB as the third at-large but then puts them as one of the first four out in his actual bracket.
Edited by UAalum72

:D OK I just have to do this ... here's comes the idiom police. :P

The idiom is Bugaboo which is a legendary scary creature, see bogeyman

Just wanted to elucidate - not correct

The other idiom that bugs me is a mis-translation that is showing up quite a bit lately... "Nip it in the Butt" which really began as "Nip it in the bud"... a biological process to stop a bud early on in its development (essentially to force stronger blooms elsewhere.) Nip it in the butt is something my old dog dreams about I think.

Sorry ... Now back to enjoying another great LAX season. Go Danes

Strong take...click approved!

Just want to chime in on whether or not we are a powerhouse. My opinion is that we are not and the reason is the conference we play in. We are a very good team playing in a mediocre conference. This causes us to play bigger name teams on the road every year. Teams from the ACC, Big East and Ivy will always have the advantage of playing very good opponents at their home field. This takes nothing away from the job Coach Marr has done in building the program into a top team but IMO we will continue to lose more big games than we win because they will mostly be on the road. Once we start hosting Syracuse, UVA, Duke, ND, etc... That's when we can be considered a powerhouse.

I don't think UA is a powerhouse yet. What consistently fails for UA is face-offs. Ornstein is doing well overall, in fact he's at .512 wins at last glance. But look at his numbers against SU, Maryland and even Cornell (who got beat). Terrible in those games. UA's attack and scoring has been terrific for the last several years, but whenever they get up against the power teams like SU the face-offs put them in a severe hole. When you give the other teams that many more opportunities on offense it's hard to compete with the elite programs. When UA starts beating SU and Big Ten teams in a consistent basis we can think about powerhouse status. IMHO.