UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Updated Logo???

alexfamous

Cropping dog ears for cosmetic purposes is banned in Australia, much of Europe, and all but two Canadian provinces. In America the Animal Hospital Association has opposed it since 1993, the Veterinary Association since 2008.    The AKC doesn’t penalize dogs which are not cropped. So unless you’re taking your Great Dane on a boar hunt, there’s no reason to crop their ears

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I definitely can see some cross marketing with golf. The new logo reminds me of a ball mark repair tool. I can see repair tools with an embossed Damien head being handed out in the annual tourney swag bags. Maybe one of you youngsters, much better than I at photoshopping stuff, can effort an image of that. And with a little sharpening and an extension it could be a pickle fork. Beef it up and put a handle on it and it probably would make a passible bottle opener. The possibilities are endless! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Cropping dog ears for cosmetic purposes is banned in Australia, much of Europe, and all but two Canadian provinces. In America the Animal Hospital Association has opposed it since 1993, the Veterinary Association since 2008.    The AKC doesn’t penalize dogs which are not cropped. So unless you’re taking your Great Dane on a boar hunt, there’s no reason to crop their ears

I am so torn on this.  Part of me thinks it's a bit ridiculous but I'm also a dog lover and hate when I see people with cropped animals.  That being said, those ears do look bigger than Cropped ears, so maybe it's just the dog at attention (looking for that boar?)

OMFG seriously? A change.org petition about the shape of the ears in a team logo? Cancel culture on full display. 

I get it, it's cruel to crop their ears, but lets take a look at the history of why it was done: Cropping the ears was done with hunting dogs to protect them from being mutilated while hunting wild Seawolves (I mean wild boar).  The point is to make the dog look angry and mean. All the Great Danes I know have been lovable. The floppy ears make them look lovable.  

Maybe put some small print on the bottom of the logo "The University at Albany does not condone the cropping of ears. No Great Danes were harmed in the artist rendering of this logo."

I can't take this world anymore. 

Also, the existing Scooby/Damien has cropped ears. Was there a petition for him?

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

OMFG seriously? A change.org petition about the shape of the ears in a team logo? Cancel culture on full display. 

I get it, it's cruel to crop their ears, but lets take a look at the history of why it was done: Cropping the ears was done with hunting dogs to protect them from being mutilated while hunting wild Seawolves (I mean wild boar).  The point is to make the dog look angry and mean. All the Great Danes I know have been lovable. The floppy ears make them look lovable.  

Maybe put some small print on the bottom of the logo "The University at Albany does not condone the cropping of ears. No Great Danes were harmed in the artist rendering of this logo."

I can't take this world anymore. 

Also, the existing Scooby/Damien has cropped ears. Was there a petition for him?

Good point!

Dislike the cropped ears. That and tail docking just seem intensely cruel. Even the supposed benefits of docking a working dog's tail aren't proven

On the other hand, I do like the UA font with the cropped A. Whether intentionally or not, it kind of echoes the shape of the the Capital Region and northward

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in favor of spiking Cujo too. 

The old logo looked determined and modestly fierce. This thing looks aggressive and downright evil. The more I see it, the more I dislike it. 

Edited by jimbo